Confused about becoming an instructor. - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused about becoming an instructor.

The DD-214 DOES NOT allow you to teach as a NRA certified instructor.
    I thought that would be too easy. So what class/classes does one need in Florida to become an instructor qualified to teach Conceal Carry classes?

I tried to respond to this post earlier but for some reason my response wasn't saved.

The NRA way is the only way you can go unless you have a FDLE Firearms Instructors Certification, K-Licensed Instructor, etc. and the NRA certified pistol instructor's course is all that is required in the state of FL to certify someone for their concealed weapons permit. You can go to NRA.com and look for a training counselor near you to set one of these courses up. BEWARE of being over charged and it happens all the time, the NRA does not regulate what the training counselors can charge so I would talk to a few different ones.

Once you receive your NRA credentials you can either teach the NRA curriculum or you can teach your own. There is no regulation in the state of Florida for firearms curriculum and as long as your certified as specified in FL STATUE 790.06 Section H Sub Section 3
    "3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services; "

You can teach any type of curriculum you want to as long as the student loads and discharges the firearm in front of the instructor. Failure to do so can be charged as fraud.

As far as your property to be used as a range, I would check with your county. Because you are receiving money for the firearms course and then in turn using your property to qualify them it could be considered use as a "Commercial Firing Range Or Facility". You should be zoned agriculter A1, in this case you may have to apply for a special use permit to comply with your county sound oridinance. Again, check with your county before you go to the trouble because it may not be required. I would definatley carry liability insurance and make your students sign a "Liability Waiver" and you can have your lawyer draw one of these up for you.

While you are taking your NRA Pistol Instructor's Course you really should take the "Range Safety Officer" course as well. Its absolutely a solid program and very useful if you plan to have a firing range on your property.

I am a huge supporter of the NRA but I do not teach their curriculum, its too politically filtered and dated. BUT its contents are tested fact, so if you teach your own course I would really suggest to make absolutely sure you know what you are talking about. The big problem with a lot of firearms instructors who teach their own "curriculum" is that they teaching urban myths and television b.s.

I hope this helps you out. If you need any more information please feel free to contact me at any time I would be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks Brian,

I think I'll pursue it further. Getting the credentials should be painless except for the fees, and I could probably re-coop that at a later date. Is the NRA website a good place to find a few local instructors?

Why not become a GOA certified instructor? Then you can teach the GOA Basic Pistol Course and the GOA Home Protection Course.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
    Thanks Brian,

I think I'll pursue it further. Getting the credentials should be painless except for the fees, and I could probably re-coop that at a later date. Is the NRA website a good place to find a few local instructors?
    You can find a training counselor in your area through the NRA website. You might try contacting your local gun store they may know of someone. If you are in south florida there is a really good instructor by the name of Jim Hayes, he works out of a local gun club in the Orlando area, if you would like I could get his number to you. Even at that, I would still try to find 2 or 3 different prices just to be on the safe side.

Being a firearms instructor is a lot of fun, you have a chance to promote gun safety and responsibilty. If you are really into firearms you will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Why not become a GOA certified instructor? Then you can teach the GOA Basic Pistol Course and the GOA Home Protection Course.
    What does GOA stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by NFTATraining View Post
    What does GOA stand for?
    Gun Owners of America

I picked out one down south of me. I'm going to give him a call later and see what he has to offer. I avoid Orlando like the plague. It means having to drive on I-4 which is death row as far as I'm concerned. Too many people headed to Disney.

What would GOA have to offer?

One point to add regarding the NRA training (and it was mentioned earlier in the discussion). You have to take the NRA BIT (basic instructor course) first prior to taking any of the discipline courses (handgun, rifle, shotgun, etc.). So in fact you will have a minimum of two coursed to take to get started.

Personally I would recommend taking as many disciplines up front as you can manage. This way if someone wants a basic rifle course you are already qualified to teach it.

Good luck in pursuing this adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
    What would GOA have to offer?
    I would assume that GOA has their own instructor certification program and course materials available. Afterall this is the orginization that prides itself on being better than the NRA.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast