Confused about becoming an instructor. - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused about becoming an instructor.

OK, guys, you got me through it. I took Basic Pistol and the Instructor course. I even passed both of them,
    how about that?

Now all I have to do is wait for the certification so I can order packets. I was told it will take two months. That's a long time. Especially since I already have about 15 people wanting to take the class. Anybody know if it actually takes two months?

the 2 month window is for your certificate and card to come in the mail. If you go to:
    NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training and click on the Instructor login tab and try to login in.
    I would do the register now option, and if your in the system (which is usually the case as
    it happened to me and many others I know), then you can login and order your materials.
    If not I would check back every few days, but it does take about a month to get in the system.
    Also in the interim, you should be able toget the materials from your Training Counselor..
    CERTIFIED NRA INSTRUCTOR:
    PISTOL | RIFLE | SHOTGUN | PERSONAL PROTECTION I/O

Thanks Diver,

I followed your Link and I was already in the system, so I hooked up and will order materials later today. I
    took the course on the 6th of August, so maybe they are getting caught up.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
    Thanks Diver,

I followed your Link and I was already in the system, so I hooked up and will order materials later today. I
    took the course on the 6th of August, so maybe they are getting caught up.
    Eaight weeks sounds about right to get your credentials.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I guess it is what it is. When it gets here, I'll post back to let anyone else who's interested how long it takes. It took less than 16 days for them to put me into the system at the NRA.

pbm is correct. To teach in florida you need the NRA Pistol instructor classification. or and equally approved
    cerificate. The DD214 will only help you with the Conealed permit

Congratulations Sir!

So, when is your first class? Make sure you come back and let us know how it went. Friends are great first students, they are patient and will give honest feedback.

Regards,

Jeff
    "For safety is not a gadget but a state of mind."
    -Eleanor Everet

Actually it's tomorrow (Saturday the 3rd). I have one friend who is taking it, even though I had about 15 who
    said they wanted to take it before I took the class. I invited the neighbor over to see it even though he isn't interested in getting the permit. I would rather give it to a whole group, but looks like that's not going to happen. I bought an ATI 1911 .22 for training. I thought it would give some that aren't too familiar
    with semi autos the look and feel without the kick and bang. Besides, I'm supplying the ammo and guns. I'll have to use the CCI's in the semi auto instead of the Wally World cheapies.
    Wish me luck!

Let me tell you from experience that you'll always get more people who talk about classes than attend. If you want to succeed as an instructor you have to treat it like a business. Create enrollment forms, liability release forms, refund policies and require deposits when student register.
    If this is just a hobby for you though disregard what I've said.
    Hi-Caliber Training & Tactics
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."- Theodore Roosevelt

No, it's not a hobby. With the economy the way it is, I have had to
    diversify as had the Wife. I'm doing the training and she's now selling Avon. Anyone need an Avon book???

The watewell business is sort of in the dumper, even though we are one
    of a very few who are still in business, things are still real slow.
    You do what you have to do.

I have been training people here for over ten years how to handle a gun and showing how to safely handle one. Including my two Grandaughters, a
    Grand -son and several other youngsters. Not to mention others who have just never gotten familiar with a gun, but wanted to give it a try.

It's real handy having a range in your back yard. Don't get me wrong, it's not fancy, but it works.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast