commercial carry

Thread: commercial carry

1. commercial carry

I have an Ohio ccw and my PA one. Is it legal to carry in a commercial vehicle?

That will vary depending on what states you are traveling through. Check the legislation for the different states as they can be very different.

To my knowledge there is NO law in any state prohibiting commercial carry... Some states just prohibit carry period. The fact that you are in a commercial vehicle with a CDL has nothing to do with it one way or the other.
    Michigan Open Carry Inc. Southwest Regional Coordinator.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Check your employer's policies regarding firearms, assuming that they have one. My experience is that if they have one, they prohibit them! It may not be illegal, but they could terminate your employment as a result.

As long as you have your Concealed Carry License you can carry inside any vehicle in Ohio. If your company policy says you cannot carry you may get in trouble with them. Im not sure about PA though.

2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
    Lawriter - ORC - 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(3) If the person is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose or is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code, and if the person is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in any manner, fail to do any of the following that is applicable:

(a) If the person is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle;

(b) If the person is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for any of the defined purposes, fail to promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle.
    Ohio Concealed Carry Institute (click Link)
    N.R.A. Pistol Instructors & Range Safety Officers
    Like Us on Facebook (click Link)