Good .22LR Pistol for Training Classes - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good .22LR Pistol for Training Classes

Late post - but I have to put in a vote for the Ruger 22/45. I know you said you don't like them, but I think you ought to reconsider. Every gun shop I've spoken to says that they have better quality of construction than the "scaled down carry guns" being offered by just about all the other manufacturers. I managed to pick one up new for $250. I've been training students with it for several weeks now. Zero jams, tight patterns, and students "get the hang of it" very quickly.

For revolver training - I've been using an old H&R model 649. This one cost me $175 (SWEET deal), but I can find them all day for under $250-$300. The selection of available NEW .22LR DA revolvers in Massachusetts is pretty slim, with the few available decent models costing in the $700s, and I just can't justify that kind of expense for a rimfire trainng pistol. I mean GEEZ, my M&P 45 only cost about $500 all-in!
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

3. ATI makes a full size 1911 designated .22 lr. Buds sells them for about $300. If yer looking for a combat style pistol for classroom, it don't get much more combat than that.

4. Here's a pic of one.
    Attached Images Attached Images Good .22LR Pistol for Training Classes-pix891374319.jpg 

I use a Twisted Industries .22lr unit for the Keltec PF-9. Mine works fine, but Ive read where other guys had to do a fluff and buff to make theirs reliable. Still, .22's that small, mostly lack extractors (Beretta, Taurus), so I don't trust them, not even for training. Plus, they don't "feel" like the pocket 9's. the .22 unit does, albeit its a bit lighter than the 9, due to having an aluminum slide.

Hard trigger pull

Quote Originally Posted by jelo45110 View Post
    I would check out the Taurus 9 shot revolver. A 4 inch barrel model would be really good for practice, and a lot of new shooters find the revolver less intimidating than the semi autos.
    I have this revolver for student use. I don't like it because the trigger pull is so hard that most medium and small frame shooters just can't handle it. My gunsmith agreed and cut the spring a bit, and now I have occasional misfires due to the light trigger strike.

I have three Ruger Mark IIIs for student use. I hate them with a passion! They are probably great guns for the casual user, I do like their accuracy, but my three will only shoot the expensive CCI MiniMag ammo with any degree of reliability. All of them have been to the factory for repairs at least once in 2011, and with a 3 week turnaround time, this is very frustrating. I have trouble field stripping and reassembling these guns, so i take them to my gunsmith. When I sent the last one back to the factory for repairs, they charged me $75 because it had not been field stripped and reassembled properly. On a 1-10 scale, I rate the Mark IIIs as a 2 for a gun to use with students. Said all that to say this; good job not choosing it! :)
    Good .22LR Pistol for Training Classes-270-98535-mark-iii-3-blew-up-when-racking-slide.jpg

I also use a CZ Kadet, which is a full frame version of the CZ-75. It is much more reliable, but recently i have been getting some jams. It is currently my favorite .22 semi-auto. it has the standard CZ-75 grip, which is magically perfect for most right handed shooters.

I also use a Sig Mosquito, which students do not like. It is small, poorly balanced and jams frequently. I am sad that a great brand like Sig puts it out there.

This is a great thread, because I am searching for a good .22 semi-auto pistol that can handle 500+ rounds of cheap ammo daily, 7 days a week over my busy summer season. I would be willing to pay top dollar for a gun capable of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootinjh View Post
    I have three Ruger Mark IIIs for student use. I hate them with a passion! They are probably great guns for the casual user, I do like their accuracy, but my three will only shoot the expensive CCI MiniMag ammo with any degree of reliability. All of them have been to the factory for repairs at least once in 2011, and with a 3 week turnaround time, this is very frustrating. I have trouble field stripping and reassembling these guns, so i take them to my gunsmith. When I sent the last one back to the factory for repairs, they charged me $75 because it had not been field stripped and reassembled properly. On a 1-10 scale, I rate the Mark IIIs as a 2 for a gun to use with students. Said all that to say this; good job not choosing it! :)
    Good .22LR Pistol for Training Classes-270-98535-mark-iii-3-blew-up-when-racking-slide.jpg

I also use a CZ Kadet, which is a full frame version of the CZ-75. It is much more reliable, but recently i have been getting some jams. It is currently my favorite .22 semi-auto. it has the standard CZ-75 grip, which is magically perfect for most right handed shooters.

I also use a Sig Mosquito, which students do not like. It is small, poorly balanced and jams frequently. I am sad that a great brand like Sig puts it out there.

This is a great thread, because I am searching for a good .22 semi-auto pistol that can handle 500+ rounds of cheap ammo daily, 7 days a week over my busy summer season. I would be willing to pay top dollar for a gun capable of this.

I use a Mosquito for training and I love it. I was getting constant failures until I took a dremel with a buffing pad and polished the feed ramp, rails, and the inside of the slide. I also noticed a burr on the mag feed lips which I sanded down. After these quick fixes it now runs fine on any ammo. Lately I've been running Remington Golden Bullet because it gives more recoil which better simnlates larger calibers. I'm not sure if you'll get through 500 rounds wihtout a cleaning though. I've gone up to about 200 with no issues but always cleaned it after that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shootinjh View Post

I use the Beretta Neos. I do use Mini Mags, but they usually shoot any better ammo. No Thunderbolt junk.

On one Neos, I cleaned and lubed it before I shot it the first time, then I ran sever thousand rounds through it to see if it would stop. It did not and I now clean it an a regular schedule.

I use the Twisted Industries .22 conversion unit for the Keltec PF-9. Mine ran fine right out of the box, but I've read that others needed a fluff and buff before they were reliable. that is about par for the course for .22 conversions, of any type, in my experience. Some work, some don't, almost all can be MADE to work just fine, by somebody who knows how.

On the Taurus, your smith is a smuck, or you didn't pay him enough to do it right. He or you can shim up that mainspring, and make it stop misfiring. He or you can polish the lockwork and get rid of some of the effort of the DA pull, maybe trim a bit off of the trigger return spring, too.

Does any one have experience with Smith & Wesson M&P22? On paper it looks like it might meet the OPs request.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast