Good .22LR Pistol for Training Classes - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Good .22LR Pistol for Training Classes

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    I'm surprised nobody had mentioned the Chiappa 1911-22. I got mine today and will take it to the range on Friday.Attachment 4480Price out the door was $312.
    I'd like to request a thorough range report on that one. There's one for sale locally that I've been considering buying. (Possibly the only one in Massachusetts, since Chiappa isn't on the state's "approved handgun roster" here.)
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

3. I had a Chiappa available at one of my pistol instructor courses. Had a number of people try it, and all had great comments about using it. They all liked the feel and accuracy of it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    I'd like to request a thorough range report on that one. There's one for sale locally that I've been considering buying. (Possibly the only one in Massachusetts, since Chiappa isn't on the state's "approved handgun roster" here.)
    Other than it shooting low, as they said it would, it was accurate. Raising the aim point by 4" corrected the low aim and then it put multipule bullets into the same holes. It did have 1 failure to feed and 1 failure to eject. Both are to be expected with a new gun and both were in the first magazine. After that it was point and shoot. The gun has just about no rise due to the weight of it. It is quieter than the Kimber 1911ARF by quite a bit. Ammo used were Federal American Eagle 22 LR FMJ and Winchester 22LR in 40gr JHP. For the price, it can't be beat for a combat style semi-auto.

Hm. Very interesting! I might just have to pick that little Chiappa up then, once funds allow. :)
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

I have a S&W with a 6.5 barrel and a Colt Frontline with a 8 or 9" barrel...
    Both are more accurate that i will ever be.

I use the Smith22a mainly but also have a P22, buckmark, G17 frame with Advanatage conversion, several Smith revolvers and several others in 22LR. The Smith 22a is the easiest to field strip and clean.

I have gone through over 250,000 rounds of .22 through various guns in the last couple years. My rating, with 10 being best and 1 being worst:

Taurus 9 shot double action revolver = 2 (Very hard trigger pull, frequent misfires from light trigger strike, spits lead at 90 degrees from front of cylinder more than should be expected.)

Ruger 6 shot single action revolver = 5 (mid-grade gun, certainly not a Freedom Arms or even S&W, but pretty good until thousands of rounds, then starts spitting lead at 90 degrees from front of cylinder more than should be expected.)

Ruger Mark III = 6 (Good target gun for instruction, but as OP mentioned, does not look or feel like a defensive gun… on the other hand, it can help students learn sight pic & alignment, trigger press, grip, stance… well, just about everything another 22 would… . I have three of them, and all took about 10,000 rounds of CCI mini-Mag before they loosened up enough to eat cheap ammo. With hard use, they break frequently and the Prescott Ruger repair shop takes 3+ weeks, which is not appropriate for full-time shooting instructors. Now that they are broken in, I love them! They are a real headache to clean unless you are more mechanically minded than me.)

Sig Sauer Mosquito = 1 (The reason I did not give it a 0 is because it has not blown up and killed anyone. A typical magazine with any kind of ammo, even CCI MiniMag, has approximately 7 failure to feeds. I sent it to the factory; they worked on it and returned it saying it was great. It is NO better. Horrible mistake for a great company to have their name on that hunk of junk.)

CZ-Kadet = 4 (This could be the best .22 of all time, except it has horrible jamming issues. Almost every magazine has at least two jams that are worse than the two basic “fix it” drills will fix. The grip is awesome, just like its momma the CZ-75 (same frame) the trigger is OK, it is made of nice heavy metal and feels like a “real gun” but the jams make it a bad choice. The factory is 3 weeks on a repair, which is not acceptable for a full-time shooting instructor.

I think my next one will be a Buckmark. I have learned the hard way that cheaping-out on gun stuff is a bad idea. On the other hand, the Kadet was over $600 and was worse than the $450 Mark III’s… I would love to find a handgun that I could rate a 10 or even a 9!

Buckmark or a mark 3 either one is a decent target pistol one can learn with at the range,little noise almost no recoil.
    For cc small little cheap pt22 works well for those same individuals who cannot fire a larger weapon,with tip up easy load barrel about 200 bucks,no extrator yet functions quite well about 50-60 rds out one needs to wipe feed ramp or jam occurs not prior,it is a dirty round,most small semi autos would be in that same boat.

I guess this thread started back in January, but I just saw it. I use the GSG M1911 also known as the ATI. It gives the look and feel of a real 1911 but fires the .22 LR which saves me a lot of money and is easy for the ladies to rack and shoot. It fires Walmart ammo nicely. Since a friend gave me two 500 round boxes of very old ammo which every third round or so is a dud, it makes for good Misfire, Hangfire and Squib Fire training. Then we go to the better ammo for standard shooting.
    Attached Images Attached Images Good .22LR Pistol for Training Classes-gerg2210m1911.jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by Shootinjh View Post
    I have gone through over 250,000 rounds of .22 through various guns in the last couple years. My rating, with 10 being best and 1 being worst:

Taurus 9 shot double action revolver = 2 (Very hard trigger pull, frequent misfires from light trigger strike, spits lead at 90 degrees from front of cylinder more than should be expected.)

Ruger 6 shot single action revolver = 5 (mid-grade gun, certainly not a Freedom Arms or even S&W, but pretty good until thousands of rounds, then starts spitting lead at 90 degrees from front of cylinder more than should be expected.)

Ruger Mark III = 6 (Good target gun for instruction, but as OP mentioned, does not look or feel like a defensive gun… on the other hand, it can help students learn sight pic & alignment, trigger press, grip, stance… well, just about everything another 22 would… . I have three of them, and all took about 10,000 rounds of CCI mini-Mag before they loosened up enough to eat cheap ammo. With hard use, they break frequently and the Prescott Ruger repair shop takes 3+ weeks, which is not appropriate for full-time shooting instructors. Now that they are broken in, I love them! They are a real headache to clean unless you are more mechanically minded than me.)

Sig Sauer Mosquito = 1 (The reason I did not give it a 0 is because it has not blown up and killed anyone. A typical magazine with any kind of ammo, even CCI MiniMag, has approximately 7 failure to feeds. I sent it to the factory; they worked on it and returned it saying it was great. It is NO better. Horrible mistake for a great company to have their name on that hunk of junk.)

CZ-Kadet = 4 (This could be the best .22 of all time, except it has horrible jamming issues. Almost every magazine has at least two jams that are worse than the two basic “fix it” drills will fix. The grip is awesome, just like its momma the CZ-75 (same frame) the trigger is OK, it is made of nice heavy metal and feels like a “real gun” but the jams make it a bad choice. The factory is 3 weeks on a repair, which is not acceptable for a full-time shooting instructor.

I think my next one will be a Buckmark. I have learned the hard way that cheaping-out on gun stuff is a bad idea. On the other hand, the Kadet was over $600 and was worse than the $450 Mark III’s… I would love to find a handgun that I could rate a 10 or even a 9!
    Give yourself a break and try a Beretta Neos. They work with most .22 ammo, except of course Remington Thunderbolt, which does not work in anything reliably. The 4.5 inch barrel seems to balance better for the ladies and you can get it in the Inox or stainless barrel and slide. It has a rail in top for extra stuff.

You might want to opt for the extra grip which has rubberized inserts and improves the hold.
    Certified NRA Instructor in Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, Personal Defense in The Home, Personal Defense Outside the Home and Refuse to Be a Victim.
    Oklahoma Handgun License Instructor; NRA Benefactor Life Member; NRA EVC, District 2, OK

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast