The False Security Of Laser Aiming Devices And Their General Uselessness. - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The False Security Of Laser Aiming Devices And Their General Uselessness.

If you can shoot and you train regularly, a laser will do what its supposed to, if you use them and feel confident its helping you then thats your prerogative, not disputing that fact at all. My point was just that the manufacturers of lasers really kind of false advertise their product and as a result new firearm owners buy them relying on the fact it will make them accurate. Thats what makes me angry about the whole thing. I thoroughly test my theories in many different scenerios before I start talking about something and I can't see replacing my sights with the laser, I am faster and more accurate with using the tools 3 feet in front of me instead of finding a little dot 6-10 feet away. Yes for dry firing drills that is their only good use and I would have put that in my post but I feel using a laser to show where your barrel is moving after you pull the trigger and using it as a device to aim with, are two totally different things. We are actually developing a dummy round with a laser built into it. This way its bored sighted and will come on when the firing pin hits where the primer normally is, turning on the laser and showing you exactly where the round would go from your manipulation of the trigger. I appreciate everyone's response and always like to debate and hear different opinions.

Cowboy, close. Kimber Crimson Ultracarry II. The only handgun I have that is not a Sig :), but it's the right size for my purse and decently pleasant to shoot.

"I think for you to issue a blanket statement like that, I would think twice about attending a class taught by you."

That works out because I wouldn't want you as a student. Are you kidding me? A blanket statement? I am not sure how more specific I could have been. Firearms instruction is no place to lighten up and I take it very seriously. Its people with that attitude that produces piss poor instructors. I will never let anyone believe something is going to work for them when I know it won't, especially in a possible life or death situation, I don't care how unpopular it makes me. Teaching proper use of a laser? Proper use of a laser is learning how to shoot the damn gun correctly and that was my exacty point. My whole point to that post was the false security that is advertised. If the best scenario that you can come up with is that your arm might get injured and can't raise the gun to aim, then you better step back and really understand what you wrote, because I can already tell you have NO clue as to what the hell your talking about. If your incapacitated and not able to raise your arm and having to shoot from a position like that you better hope you can still operate the gun correctly or you won't be accurate anyways, shooting while injured takes a lot of training and practice if that scenario were to ever happen. It scares me that you think having a laser will help you in a situation like that. That is one of the most B.S. statements I think I have ever heard trying to prove someone "not capable" as an instructor. I have tested everything I say or teach with every scnerio that myself and 6 other very expirienced instructors can think of. I mean where the hell did you learn about firearms at? I hate people who interject b.s. statements like that to hear them selves talk and have absolutley no idea as to what they are talking about. I do not have respect for people like you. Its B.S. crap like that that helps promote the stupidity and urban myths in firearms training. I really hope like hell YOUR not an instructor. Go peddle your B.S. make believe stuff somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by brockrac View Post
    U r an idiot.
    Are we four?

Blanket statement, ie: all lasers are useless! Like I said , don't be a hater! Why is it that almost all special forces weapons have a laser on board, they obviously are extremely talented with their weapons, and still choose to equip them with lasers...Must be a reason for that. I am sorry if I offended you I may have been a little direct. But I will stand by the fact that lasers DO have a place on civilian CC weapons.

I train with my weapon without a laser, my primary reason for not having a laser is "Murphy" and I are old friends from sailing and I would just as soon not know him with my pistol, shotgun or rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by NFTATraining View Post
    If you have talked to me for more than 5 minutes about tactics or training I am sure I told you about how I absolutley can't stand laser aiming devices. They give people false security and I absolutely despise their very existance. No one will ever change my mind on this, I don't care if Samuel Colt himself comes back from the dead and tells me otherwise.
    THANK YOU! I cannot agree more. Just last month I was at Bass Pro shooting and a guy with his girlfriend just picked up an XDm .40 cal (full size) that he just had Bass Pro fit with Laser. They were shooting in the lane next to me and I overhear them start to piss and moan about how Bass Pro didn't sight it in correctly. We were both shooting at 21 ft. and I saw that his shots were all over the place so I get tired of listening to them gripe and I asked them "how can you tell that it ain't sighted in right"?
    The girl looks at me like I am a moron and said, and I quote: "Duh! look at the target!" So I said "that doesn't tell you anything about the laser, It just tells me that you shoot poorly but thats an easy fix". So the guy asked what I meant and I explained to him briefly about technique and showed him my target. I was shooting the same gun as he only in the compact, my EDC gun. I asked him to let me try the weapon and I shot three rounds in the center. They said WOW! I guess the laser is OK. I told them I didn't use the laser, Its a useless piece of crap unless you know how to shoot already. I think I made my point.
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by brockrac View Post
    U r an idiot.
    U r looking in the mirror I presume.
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

10. Well, yes, you are right. A laser won't mask any stance, trigger control or other errors. What it DOES is enable me to get a sight otherwise nearly impossible without reading glasses on. I simply cannot see the sights otherwise. And I doubt that I will have time to put my glasses on in time to shoot the bad guy.

That is why they are equipt with an on/off switch. When I purchased my first pistol, my pride was severly hurt when I couldn't hit jack squat with it. But as they say practice makes perfect. I am by no means a crack shot, buy I can generally hit what I am aiming at. My latest purchase came with a laser on it already, it also came with the stock grips. I wouldn't think of removing the crimson trace grips, for the simple fact that it gives me one tool to use OR choose not to use. I like that the option is there. You don't always have time for a perfect stance, and a relaxed squeeze of the trigger. Sometimes a red dot on the chest is all that is needed to stop the BG's advance P.S. , Thanks JOEMENDOZA I thought I was the only dog in this fight!
    Last edited by titaniumman; 06-12-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Added thanks to joe

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast