The False Security Of Laser Aiming Devices And Their General Uselessness. - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The False Security Of Laser Aiming Devices And Their General Uselessness.

Quote Originally Posted by NFTATraining View Post
    I really just wrote that post because I was sick and tired of unknowledgable gun store salesman and TV commercials misleading the new gun buyer. I guess in writing it, I let the complete hatred for the damn things slip out and it crossed over what the post was really about, and its true point. I wasn't trying to say, in any fashion, the people that use them are any less tactically capable or stupid. The problem with reading/writing text is it loses translation of attitude/tone and I never meant to offend anyone, or act like I was the god greatest thing to firearms instruction. Out of all the different courses we teach to different types of agencies, PSC, etc I find the CWP courses are the most challenging, a lot of times rewarding, and at times aggrevating as hell, and that is the world of civilian firearms instruction. So I apologize, not for my opinion because that will never change, but for coming off of the way I did. No need for me to keep rehashing it, just wanted to interject that, I really do not want the wrong opinion formed of me over something I wrote.
    I hear you. The gun store sale people are the worst. I've overheard them giving the hard sell on lasers to customers. Comments like "you don't need to do anything but put the dot on them and pull the trigger."
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

One persons opinion! I am a NRA instructor, and have been shooting most of my life.

I have a laser on my Ruger P90. I don't know, nor do I ever plan on using my laser on another human.

I use it here in the country for Skunks, Armadillos, and other things that go bump in the night.

I use it with my flashlight at night. Shot 3 skunks last night, they were chasing me in my yard ---- Sheesh we have been invaded.

I know if it came to using my firearm on another human it would most likely be in such a manner the laser wouldn't have time to turn on, or at least I don't think I would have that much time.

However! If it was a life or death predicament, and there was that much time! It could possibly help!

I hope I never have to face that in my life.
    Crime has no boundaries - Carry Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by retiredman View Post
    One persons opinion! I am a NRA instructor, and have been shooting most of my life.

I have a laser on my Ruger P90. I don't know, nor do I ever plan on using my laser on another human.

I use it here in the country for Skunks, Armadillos, and other things that go bump in the night.

I use it with my flashlight at night. Shot 3 skunks last night, they were chasing me in my yard ---- Sheesh we have been invaded.

I know if it came to using my firearm on another human it would most likely be in such a manner the laser wouldn't have time to turn on, or at least I don't think I would have that much time.

However! If it was a life or death predicament, and there was that much time! It could possibly help!

I hope I never have to face that in my life.
    That is very true, as I was taught an encounter happens in under 4 seconds and within 40ft. Unless you have one of those fancy Crimson Trace lasers that turn on when you grip it your wasting precious time, unless your well trained, cool, & collective. While we understand the importance of the laser as a training tool, especially for trigger control exercises, we do not recommend carrying any firearm or tool, unless your spend quality time training with those tools.
    Ohio Concealed Carry Institute (click Link)
    N.R.A. Pistol Instructors & Range Safety Officers
    Like Us on Facebook (click Link)

5. Lasers

Thank you for making me see the "other" side of using lasers..I have been torn for some time about the fact that I cannot afford a "good" laser...now I can feel better about NOT having one!
    hyatt76

6. quickest way to back off a BG is to put a red or green dot on his chest.

We teach, that unless your going to use your handgun that you do not draw it. We also dont recommend aiming for legs and arms .... if you draw your weapon, there needs to be a serious threat in which you need to stop. A laser is a tool that allows the user to react quicker in close combat situations.

Most encounters happen in under 3 seconds, 3 feet, low light conditions, and with multiple assailants. Keep this in mind ... as one may not have the time to sight align or sight picture their target then refocus on their front site. A laser with proper training and practice allows the user to overcome those obstacles and react in a direct way. However, dont get sloppy when training, one still needs a good grip & trigger control. One also needs to continue practicing good shooting fundamentals as taught by the NRA.
    Ohio Concealed Carry Institute (click Link)
    N.R.A. Pistol Instructors & Range Safety Officers
    Like Us on Facebook (click Link)

Quote Originally Posted by hyatt76 View Post
    Thank you for making me see the "other" side of using lasers..I have been torn for some time about the fact that I cannot afford a "good" laser...now I can feel better about NOT having one!
    hyatt76
    Yep! I have one of those green Veridian lasers. I had not had enough practice with it so now I get to practice it with my dog. Boy! does he love chasing them lights. Honestly...I am getting creative each time I play with it with Tucker. We can go outside in the dark garden and aim it at a tree trunk then doggie found out he cannot climb the tree. The battery last a little bit under a month with nightly use...am using the red el cheapo one now that came from Walmart because hubby started complaining...
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

I will carry a laser when it's powerful enough to put a hole in my target.

I do not have any lasers on any of my firearms. I do not plan on it either, at least not in the near future. I don't know if they are the best tool for any particular situation... being as I don't train/use them. My local gun store has them for most common pistols and one guy there really likes them! He is a Veitnam veteran who served as a combat medic so he has the experiance of being shot at and shooting back in very adverse conditions. I turn him down everytime...

I was taking a tactics class a few years ago where a former U.S. Navy Seal was instructing. He made a statement I'll never forget. He said "that all the new gadgets are great, when they work... but, good ol' iron sights work in the rain, sleet, snow, desert, and every other condition on earth"

That may or may not apply directly to lasers but I've kept that statement with me, and that's how I operate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    but, good ol' iron sights work in the rain, sleet, snow, desert, and every other condition on earth"

That may or may not apply directly to lasers but I've kept that statement with me, and that's how I operate.
    Amen.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast