Open Carry A Good Idea Or Bad? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry A Good Idea Or Bad?

Arizona has always been an open carry state, and now a coneal carry state

Here in Ariazona we have the best of both conceal and open carry. Allows everyone that lives here or visits just to know all carry a firearm open or conceal.

IMHO I like having a concealed weapon as I do not want people to know just what I have whether it be a 32 auto or a 44 mag. I stongly believe why Governer Brewer past the no permit to carry a concealed firearm is for two reasons under one title SB 1070, By getting the concealed carry law without a permit to pass she rallied the SB 1070 taking all in concern off the conceal carry without a permit. Second, she knew obievil our fearless leader would not lend a hand towards backing SB 1070 and (my words) felt the need for allowing every citizen in Arizona to be prepared. There is one more reason, Governer Brewer is a very strong supporter of the Second Amendment.

I like the option to carry any which way I can, because the Second Amendment says I have that right. I feel every person who is a citizen in the USA should have these rights.
    The Second Amendment is not about Hunting!!
    When the Government is afraid of of it's People, This LIBERTY
    When the People are afraid of the government, That is TYRANNY

Awesome replys, awesome opinions. I am a huge supporter that it should be our choice as American Citizens defined in the 2nd AMDMT. I meant to add that in my original post. I could see doing either for what ever the situation is, someone mentioned open carry while hiking, defintaley agree with doing the same while in the outdoors. I just hope I don't come across a meth addicted dear or something, I don't need to be scoped out and jumped by him and 4 of his friends. lol

They are both good and serve a good purpose... My own opinion is it is better to conceal... When open carrying, if an attacker or a robber is determined to continue then he will go for you first... If he is armed himself then you're in real trouble... The second issue I have with open carry is the image... I'm not saying everyone is doing it for the image, but I know a certain number of people who carry it openly to get the shocked and nervous looks from people... Makes them feel more tough... I know one guy who walks an S&W500 just for that purpose (No need to comment on all the reasons that is stupid)... My concern is the image it presents to the anti-gunners around the State... It encourages their beliefs, and can provoke them to write the States Congressmen about all these crazy right-wingers walking around like its the wild west... You can still carry holstered, and stay concealed with appropriate clothing... and there's nothing wrong with draping your t-shirt over you're holstered weapon (though this often leaves a pretty good print with larger framed weapons)... Open carry is better if you want a faster draw, and I'm not completely against it, but in my opinion its just not the best thing to do when you're walking into your gas station or Wal Mart... Drawing attention to yourself is not the best thing to do when carrying in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher42223 View Post
    They are both good and serve a good purpose... My own opinion is it is better to conceal... When open carrying, if an attacker or a robber is determined to continue then he will go for you first...Instead of parroting crap you have heard other ignorant people spouting... how about some ACTUAL FACTS that PROVE this will happen/HAS happened.... If he is armed himself then you're in real trouble... The second issue I have with open carry is the image... I'm not saying everyone is doing it for the image, but I know a certain number of people who carry it openly to get the shocked and nervous looks from people... Makes them feel more tough... I know one guy who walks an S&W500 just for that purpose (No need to comment on all the reasons that is stupid)... My concern is the image it presents to the anti-gunners around the State... It encourages their beliefs, and can provoke them to write the States Congressmen about all these crazy right-wingers walking around like its the wild west... You can still carry holstered, and stay concealed with appropriate clothing... and there's nothing wrong with draping your t-shirt over you're holstered weapon (though this often leaves a pretty good print with larger framed weapons)... Open carry is better if you want a faster draw, and I'm not completely against it, but in my opinion its just not the best thing to do when you're walking into your gas station or Wal Mart... Drawing attention to yourself is not the best thing to do when carrying in the first place...
    Here is a little advice: stop projecting YOUR "feelings" onto what others do to try to explain why they are doing it. If you want to know why someone open carries (as an example) ASK THEM, dont just assume things. The way I exercise MY RIGHTS is none of your or anyone elses business as long as I am not infringing upon your or their "rights".... Another hint: You do NOT have the right not to be offended....... You do, however, have the right to state your opinion, which you did, and what you have just read is mine (although mine had a few more actual facts in it, and much less "feelings").

6. Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher42223 View Post
    The second issue I have with open carry is the image... I'm not saying everyone is doing it for the image, but I know a certain number of people who carry it openly to get the shocked and nervous looks from people...
    Actually, one of the SECONDARY reasons that I open carry (the primary reason being deterrence) is to project an image. John Q. Public normally sees one image of firearms....the image presented to them on television by the anti-gun groups, the anti-gun media and ridiculous images in movies. I like to present an alternate image to John Q. Public that it is acceptable and normal for a normal American to carry a gun for self protection in normal everyday American life doing normal things that normal Americans do.

Quote Originally Posted by =Kingfisher42223 View Post
    but I know a certain number of people who carry it openly to get the shocked and nervous looks from people...Makes them feel more tough...
    I refuse to take responsibility for something that is caused by the anti-gun groups and anti-gun media.

It's amazing how many people, including "pro gun" people will get their panties in a wad over this....does this really look like someone trying to be a "tough guy"? Why would you have "concern is the image it presents to the anti-gunners around the State..." and why would you think this "encourages their beliefs, and can provoke them to write the States Congressmen about all these crazy right-wingers walking around like its the wild west...":

I rather think that I look a person who loves his family and is willing to protect them from criminal harm.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher42223 View Post
    in my opinion its just not the best thing to do when you're walking into your gas station or Wal Mart...
    I know one person who would disagree with you:
    Two shot in South Richmond store | Richmond Times-Dispatch
    Gun Owner Saves Lives In The Richmond VA Golden Market Shooting
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

8. Here's another one....

This guy is obviously open carrying to present an image as well:

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    Surprise is NOT A DEFENSIVE TACTIC!!!!!!!
    Surprise is ABSOLUTELY a defensive tactic. It has been through centuries of militrary conflict. It is taught at the United States Military Academy. Surpise puts your antagonist behind the reactionary curve. We teach SSS (stealth, surprise, skill) as a tactic in any confrontation, gun or not. In fact surprise is the most important element in knife defense and improvisd weapons classes.

As taught in military strategy...

In order to win, we should operate at a faster tempo or rhythm than our adversaries--or, better yet, get inside [the] adversary's Observation-Orientation-Decision-Action time cycle or loop (OODA Loop). Such activity will make us appear ambiguous (unpredictable) thereby generate surprise, confusion and disorder among our adversaries--since our adversaries will be unable to generate mental images or pictures that agree with the menacing as well as faster transient rhythm or patterns they are competing against.

The key is to obscure your intentions and make them unpredictable to your opponent while you simultaneously clarify his intentions. That is, operate at a faster tempo to generate rapidly changing conditions that inhibit your opponent from adapting or reacting to those changes and that suppress or destroy his awareness. Thus, a hodgepodge of confusion and disorder occur to cause him to over- or under-react to conditions or activities that appear to be surprising, uncertain, ambiguous, or incomprehensible.

Getting "inside" the cycle—short-circuiting the opponent's thinking processes—produces opportunities for the opponent to react inappropriately. It places the opponent behind the reactionary curve and that's a huge advantage.

How you choose to fight is your own decision and should not be altered by how another person feels. How you fight should be based in proven and accepted sound tactical principals. These principals don't come naturally and they're not found by reading magazines. They are established through advanced training.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

10. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Surprise is ABSOLUTELY a defensive tactic. It has been through centuries of militrary conflict. It is taught at the United States Military Academy. Surpise puts your antagonist behind the reactionary curve. We teach SSS (stealth, surprise, skill) as a tactic in any confrontation, gun or not.
    deterrence definition | DOD Military Terms Dictionary

The prevention from action by fear of the consequences. Deterrence is a state of mind brought about by the existence of a credible threat of unacceptable counteraction.
    A concealed firearm deters nothing. A concealed firearm causes no fear of consequences. A concealed firearm provides no credible threat of unacceptable counteraction.

Surprise is a tactic used to make an attack or a counterattack more effective. The key word being attack.

It is better to deter the enemy from attacking you in the first place, rather than to trust that your defenses are capable of successful elimination of the enemy after the attack has begun. There is less loss to the defending party if the attack is deterred rather than defended against.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Surprise is ABSOLUTELY NOT a defensive tactic. It has NOT been through centuries of militrary conflict. It is NOT taught at the United States Military Academy. Surpise puts your antagonist behind the reactionary curve. Too late dude, you are ALREADY BEING ROBBED, YOU are the one that was behind in the reactionary curve...and LOST!

There, fixed it for you so it actually lines up with reality....

Next time, you might want to consider what the actual context is, and what this forum is about....... It is NOT a military strategy or war fighting discussion, This is a place where citizens who choose to be armed come to learn about conceal/open carry from each other, not where they come to learn how to fight wars with armies...... the tactics are QUITE different in almost all cases.....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast