Open Carry A Good Idea Or Bad? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry A Good Idea Or Bad?

Surprise is a tactic. Thats why swat teams break down doors and not knock on them. The end.

3. That would be an offensive tactic not defensive.
    I agree there are situations I deem CC is more appropriate, I do however OC often as it is more comfortable. I also try to put forth a positive image when I OC, I am middle aged, clean shaven, middle management and attire is accordingly, I have five children two grown and three young ones that are with me more often than not. I am neither a proponent for or against either form of carry as it is up to the individual, I support those rights whole heartedly.

4. if someone surprises me from behind and takes my oc glock from my holster,what do i do then,shoot him (sorry) with my bug?i would not like to oc.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by robert graham View Post
    if someone surprises me from behind and takes my oc glock from my holster,what do i do then,shoot him (sorry) with my bug?i would not like to oc.
    There are holsters that you must push a button to extract the gun, some are with the thumb and so on. LEOs use them for the contingency you mention. I have a Kydex OWB with a button for my G23 when on my property.
    But my answer to the thread is no, I carry concealed to avoid any problems, but would like to have the option. TX almost passed an OC bill this year but it didn't get out of committee so didn't get voted on.

6. i agree jsd we should have the option if it is a consitutional right .i would actually feel warm and fuzzy seeing other people oc,safer as well.but i do not even like my firearm printing oc is not for me.thats just me .my son who did two tours and is now in virginya(?) says oc only in his state.really hates it

Anybody who thinks that having ANY kind of concealed weapon is not a tactical advantage is completely IGNORANT of tactics.
    Furthermore, that is NOT the ONLY tactical advantage of carrying concealed.
    I am not going to get into another pissing contest about CC and OC, I like having the option of both. I CC most of the time and my best friend OC's so this topic is old to me and I say carry how you are comfy.

If you combine situational awareness with Concealed Carry or OC you are way ahead of the curve and will likely be able to avoid most conflicts. MOST being the operative word here. I don't care how sharp you are you can be distracted, tired, looking the other way and have a weapon pulled on you. In that instance CC would be a HUGE advantage. Not only the element of surprise but the ability to plan, distract, possibly move to a better shooting position, move away from loved ones to draw fire away from them, put yourself in front of loved ones, the possibilities are endless. If YOU are surprised and the attacker notices that YOU are armed then HE has the tactical advantage and you could be disarmed or shot.

I agree with the all the good points about OC and they are valid points and should be considered when making a choice how to carry.

Carry how you want to and comfortable with your choice but don't bring that crap about no tactical advantage of having a concealed weapon. That speaks of nothing but ignorance on the topic.
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

Nice pic Navy.
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    There, fixed it for you so it actually lines up with reality....

Next time, you might want to consider what the actual context is, and what this forum is about....... It is NOT a military strategy or war fighting discussion, This is a place where citizens who choose to be armed come to learn about conceal/open carry from each other, not where they come to learn how to fight wars with armies...... the tactics are QUITE different in almost all cases.....
    And you base your statement on what education? If you've been trained in advanced defensive tactics by any reputable academy you wouldn't make this statement. It's so rediculous to argue that I won't respond further. you can have the last word.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    deterrence definition | DOD Military Terms Dictionary

A concealed firearm deters nothing. A concealed firearm causes no fear of consequences. A concealed firearm provides no credible threat of unacceptable counteraction.

Surprise is a tactic used to make an attack or a counterattack more effective. The key word being attack.

It is better to deter the enemy from attacking you in the first place, rather than to trust that your defenses are capable of successful elimination of the enemy after the attack has begun. There is less loss to the defending party if the attack is deterred rather than defended against.
    Much of my advanced tactical training used the element of surprise. I was trained to place the attacker behind the reactionary curve. Breaking the OODA loop is surprise through disruption. It is a key element of indiviual self defense. This was also hammered into my head by my father, a graduate of the United States Naval Academy and decorated Naval Officer through two wars. He was a great tactician who taught me the importance of surprise in individual conflict.

Navy, I respond to OC threads just to rile you up. BTW, congrats on the promotion.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    That would be an offensive tactic not defensive.
    It was just being said that "surprise" was NOT a tactic. It is. Wether it be for the offensive or not. If people are saying that the element of surprise is NOT a tactic, then I fear for their students or anyone else they teach firearms too.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast