Open Carry A Good Idea Or Bad?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry A Good Idea Or Bad?

Open Carry A Good Idea Or Bad?

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this subject. To be honest I don't have a solid opinion on wether I think it's a good or bad thing. I mean open and concealed have their both good and bad points.

Carrying Concealed:
    Advantage: Tactically speaking, I think the element of surprise is a great thing. If someone doesn't know you have a firearm, then they can't tactically adjust them selves for that. If they were to try and rob you and you pull a firearm they didn't know about, that surprises most criminals, not all, but most. Something they were not expecting has the potential to rattle cages. Plus when you are out in public I think people are less likely to be jumpy or nervous if they don't see a firearm on your side and no badge on your shirt. Again, not all people would respond that way I wouldn't think, but some might.

Disadvantage: To me, clearing the holster in a fight or flight with out snag or fowl up on clothing. This can be delt with by training, no doubt and I am a firm believer in training, BUT I guess it could happen in a really f'd up situation. Plus, even with the technology break throughs in holsters, you are kind of limited to the size if you want to wear it comfortably, unless you have a man purse, not a huge fan drawing from one of those, but you could put a bigger firearm in it.

Open Carry:
    Advantages: I do think you could clear holster alot faster, with out the potential of snags or fowl ups. You could carry just about any firearm you wanted too. Maybe the intimidation factor is better.

Disadvantes: I am a believer in the surprise element. With the type of drug abuse that goes on today, I just think they would see you wearing a firearm and plan on how to get it from you, instead of avoiding you. Sure, there are tons of holster retention tactics, don't get me wrong, but will those do you good if you are getting attacked by 2-3 people that are jacked up on meth, especially when you don't see it coming AND they know you have a firearm? Is that an unlikely situation? Yes. But aren't most situations unlikely to the person they happen to?

I have thought about this in length and I guess there is no right or wrong, just depends on the situation. Hopefully, for all innocent citizens and myself there will never BE a situation to try the theory.

-Brian Woods

Brian, I do agree with your suggestions on both open and concealed. But my motto is and will always be out of sight, out of mind. Good post on your part

Been my experience that folks that rely on being tactical have no real concept of what tactical is. If you think that having a concealed firearm gives you an advantage when confronted by an armed antagonist you're already behind the 8 ball as your situational awareness has already failed. Nothing tactical about drawing against a gun in hand.

Open and Concealed both have advantages and disadvantages, neither is superior to the other in all situations. Just my .02

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Surprise is NOT A DEFENSIVE TACTIC!!!!!!!

I prefer open carry. I want to be able to make a personal assessment of my safety. I can't do that when I don't know what yahoos are carrying. Plus, if an armed citizenry is a deterrent to crime, then open carry is the most effective way of achieving that goal.

The modern day justification for concealed carry is to appease the anti-gun people who would otherwise stain their pants if they saw lots of people with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by NFTATraining:206640
    I have been doing a lot of thinking about this subject. To be honest I don't have a solid opinion on wether I think it's a good or bad thing. I mean open and concealed have their both good and bad points.

Carrying Concealed:
    Advantage: Tactically speaking, I think the element of surprise is a great thing. If someone doesn't know you have a firearm, then they can't tactically adjust them selves for that. If they were to try and rob you and you pull a firearm they didn't know about, that surprises most criminals, not all, but most. Something they were not expecting has the potential to rattle cages. Plus when you are out in public I think people are less likely to be jumpy or nervous if they don't see a firearm on your side and no badge on your shirt. Again, not all people would respond that way I wouldn't think, but some might.

Disadvantage: To me, clearing the holster in a fight or flight with out snag or fowl up on clothing. This can be delt with by training, no doubt and I am a firm believer in training, BUT I guess it could happen in a really f'd up situation. Plus, even with the technology break throughs in holsters, you are kind of limited to the size if you want to wear it comfortably, unless you have a man purse, not a huge fan drawing from one of those, but you could put a bigger firearm in it.

Open Carry:
    Advantages: I do think you could clear holster alot faster, with out the potential of snags or fowl ups. You could carry just about any firearm you wanted too. Maybe the intimidation factor is better.

Disadvantes: I am a believer in the surprise element. With the type of drug abuse that goes on today, I just think they would see you wearing a firearm and plan on how to get it from you, instead of avoiding you. Sure, there are tons of holster retention tactics, don't get me wrong, but will those do you good if you are getting attacked by 2-3 people that are jacked up on meth, especially when you don't see it coming AND they know you have a firearm? Is that an unlikely situation? Yes. But aren't most situations unlikely to the person they happen to?

I have thought about this in length and I guess there is no right or wrong, just depends on the situation. Hopefully, for all innocent citizens and myself there will never BE a situation to try the theory.

-Brian Woods
    Good thread. Good food for thought. Personaly I prefer both at the same time and feel it should be my decision to choose as to which, at any given time, is most appropriate.

8. Personally, I think the CC/surprise element is more than balanced out by the OC/prevention element.

In other words, drawing CC against something that is already happening, i.e. a bad guy's gun is already out, is less of an advantage in that I believe an OC firearm will more than likely prevent the bad guy from trying in the first place. If criminals wanted to work hard, they'd go get a job rather than knowingly get into a gun fight with an armed citizen.

Besides, one other major advantage of OCing, especially down here in the +95/+90 heat/humidity of the deep south, is ease of carrying.

My .02.

What's going on here? Rational, thought out discussion not overly clouded with theories backed only by personal beliefs and prejudices?!? No comments about cowboys and the wild west yet?

Very good posts so far!

Some more facts about the deterrent value of firearms can be found on printed page 30-31 (electronic pages 37-38) of this document:

http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-fa...5.1-screen.pdf

Deterrence is the presentation of the ability to create such grave consequences for an action that the actor determines that the potential consequences of an action far outweigh the potential benefits of an action, therefore causing the actor to decide to not act.

As long as we maintain a society where over 99% of the general population is not visibly armed, and there are relatively easy non-violent ways for criminals to obtain firearms, there is absolutely no reason for a criminal to pick the person that is known to be armed as a target.

The argument about the nut job high on crack attacking you and it's easier for them to snatch an open carried gun has to be weighed against the fact that the same nut job is just as likely to attack anyone, and I believe that ready and easy access to the gun by the owner for defensive purposes is of more benefit than surprises the perpetrator, who has little concept of what is really happening anyway due to their mental illness or drug use.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I like having both options, depending on circumstances.

In public, like at work or out shopping, I prefer no one knows I am armed. I want to blend in as much as possible, and have the slight advantage if I am in a sticky situation. In these scenarios, I see myself slowly and quietly drawing--a disadvantage in some situations.

In the woods, on trails, hiking, I like to carry open. I want my gun where I can get to it quickly. I'm more afraid of bears than burglars, plus where I live people are more likely to behave badly in secluded places. In this case my firearm can serve as a deterrent.

Which is also why I was very close to strapping on my tactical holster at home. I currently have some very troublesome neighbors who think they are some sort of bad-asses. I see nothing wrong with me open carrying while doing yard work and playing with my dog. It doesn't say "I'm going to shoot you," it says "Please respect my space and my person."

For me, I prefer CC...though I am not a fanatic about it and am not one of those who feel I have "failed" somehow if my gun becomes visible...I have even been known to take off my cover garment in the park or at the golf course on a hot day...

I CC merely because I have fought the battles that I want to fight and will leave the "education of the masses" to those who feel they want to accomplish something...and they have my respect for doing so.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast