Front Sight Training School in Nevada. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Front Sight Training School in Nevada.

I've attended Front Sight three times this past year. (I have a friend that lives in North Las Vegas, so I visit there.) the training has always been very, very good and I've been very impressed with all of the instructors. The school thrives on consistiency and that is preached to new instructors. What you learn from one instructor, you learn from all instructors. I'm also a recent life time member but attended these three times before joining ... now I get to use my membership to go back!
    Bill
    NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol
    NRA Range Saftey Officer
    Certified TX CHL instructor (11 years)

all I know is that if you get on their mailing/phone solicitation list, you may never get off ;)
    No kidding. I do internet marketing for a living, and FrontSight's marketing is endlessly fascinating. They break SO many "rules" about marketing in the internet age, yet they seem to be flourishing.

I'd be curious to hear opinions on FrontSight's training vs. other schools like Thunder Ranch or vs. cheaper options like an NRA Pers. Protection class.

Here's a review of their 4 day course

Front Sight: 4 Day Handgun Course Review (Lots of info)
    NRA and USCCA Certified Instructor - FL CCW/CWP Classes
    https://www.TriggerPressers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hawthorne2k View Post
    I'd be curious to hear opinions on FrontSight's training vs. other schools like Thunder Ranch or vs. cheaper options like an NRA Pers. Protection class.
    And which entity issues the better looking CCW Badge?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Hawthorne2k View Post
    No kidding. I do internet marketing for a living, and FrontSight's marketing is endlessly fascinating. They break SO many "rules" about marketing in the internet age, yet they seem to be flourishing.

Hah, I also work a lot in internet development and advertising, and agree that their web page design is about 10-15 years out of date, and their marketing person/dept (I imagine it's a single person making the decisions) must do double duty selling things on cable channels at 3a.m. Imagine how successful they could be if they had decent advertising and communications? I really think their 'success' is mostly word of mouth as the vast majority of people taking the 4 day defensive handgun course come away with a good impression.

As for comparisons to TR or local NRA classes...I found the NRA classes a bit lacking in what Front Sight teaches. They tend to focus on the whys and discussing the hows, without too much practice at implementation. Front Sight can take someone who's never touched a gun before, make them safe with it, and competent and confident enough to handle it. The NRA courses that try to do this in my area can go a little ways toward making someone safe, but seeing what a firing line of Front Sights students could do on command on the 3rd or 4th day of the class completely blows away what the NRA courses could do.

I haven't had an opportunity to attend Thunder Ranch or any of the other well-reputed schools, but I imagine their basic courses are fairly similar regarding what you have once you're done with the course, probably with some extra individual attention and more 'modern' techniques. Front Sight's method works well, but many complain that it's not the latest and greatest because this or that person doesn't use their techniques any more...but the techniques still work and are basic. All that said, my entire trip recently (including travel, lodging, food, class fees, etc.) cost about what the class fee was at the higher end schools, and I doubt the difference in my skills after leaving would have been THAT much different. And very few seem to pay the 'list' price of a Front Sight class...nearly everyone I talked to at my class was also there on a $69-$99 pass that they put out sometime last year, many of them lamenting that they wouldn't be able to afford to come back without a similar deal.

Took my wife (who had never fired a weapon of any kind) to FS a couple years ago. At the end of 4-days, she could draw and plant two to the thorasic cavity at 7 yds in 1.5 seconds. She could also clear malfunctions and is quite comfortable with her weapon (9 mm XD).

I am a lifetime diamond member. Every time I go there, I meet all kinds of military and law enforcement types who come to FS for training.

So...I'm a believer.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Took my wife (who had never fired a weapon of any kind) to FS a couple years ago. At the end of 4-days, she could draw and plant two to the thorasic cavity at 7 yds in 1.5 seconds. She could also clear malfunctions and is quite comfortable with her weapon (9 mm XD).

I am a lifetime diamond member. Every time I go there, I meet all kinds of military and law enforcement types who come to FS for training.

So...I'm a believer.
    Thanks to this critter JJFlash, I am also a lifetime member... Took the 4 Day Defensive Handgun course this June and loved it... Dispelled many rumors and much misinformation from years of mixed training. Better control during fast draw thanks to the instructors. Got me faster and more consistent. Will be going back for the 2 Day Handgun and 2 Day Shotgun perhaps late this year if not next spring... They do it right and as indicated in a previous post, all the instructors use/teach the same methods.

Worth it... my 2 pennies..
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

So I have been researching as much as I can into the better known schools. I have come to believe that, in terms of substance, tactics, and philosophy, Thunder Ranch is going to be my best choice. Gunsite being my second best choice. Now to stow the dough. But good training is priceless, therefore worth the sacrafice. Will update upon completion(spelling?). Thanks for the input fellas.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    I have a life membership at Front Sight, my wife and both my boys have joined me there. The last class I attended (4-day defensive handgun) had two border patrol guys, an LA cop and two more LEO's from some town in the southwest, I forget the town now. Anyway, listening to them talk amoungst themselves, they all agreed that they would like to have had "this level" of training in thier collective acadamies. ...Well, that's gotta be worth something to someone. My only complaint is that although the training in trigger control, SAFETY, draw stroke, malfunction clearance and being able (as the standard) to draw from concealed and place two rounds into a thoracic target at 7 yds in 1.5 seconds or less, would be that there is no training to "get off the X". You know, move to live kind of thing. That comes with the more advanced classes, but I'd like to see it practiced in the two and four day defensive courses...

Peace.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

11. I attended front sights 4 day defensive handgun class in June and I can easily say I had no qualms about safety at all. I'm not saying people didn't do some unsafe moves but when they did the instructors were on top of it like white on rice.In my opinion if you are going to own a gun you would do well to get the right training. Front sSight is not the only good training facility but they are one of the best and I definately will go back

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast