Practice frequency? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practice frequency?

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    My practice frequency is usually within the 50MHz or 6m band.
    Good one

3. I don't practice as much as I have in the past. Since I have my own range, I can shoot anything anytime I want. I shoot 22 thru 38/9mm right in my yard and have a 100 yard range with bench just outside the yard gate. As hunting season approaches, I'll be cracking off more rounds but now I just shoot a few a week to keep my trigger finger from itching too much.

I'm lucky. I shoot in my yard. I try to practice at least once a week, weather permiting. Been kind of tough with the 100+ degree weather lately.
    I have four handguns that I practice with routinly. I break others out occasionally just to cycle and clean them.
    When I practice, I will go through 200-300 rounds at a set.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." T. Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
    I'm lucky. I shoot in my yard. I try to practice at least once a week, weather permiting. Been kind of tough with the 100+ degree weather lately.
    I have four handguns that I practice with routinly. I break others out occasionally just to cycle and clean them.
    When I practice, I will go through 200-300 rounds at a set.
    God I miss being able to practice in my yard, haven't been able to do that since I was in high school. Where I live now I make about a 20 minute drive to an outdoor range that is apart of the Lincon National Forest, it has no range officers so people must watch out for one another at all times. It's usually pretty good with only a few idiots.

Anyway, back on topic. My minimum is once a month, but I like to go every weekend. Although this gets costly, so I usually go every other weekend due to $$ constraints.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Obviously, you'll have to practice within your time and money constraints. Remember that you can use cheap ammo for practice, just be sure to clean your gun! Also, check different ranges and clubs in your area - sometimes their prices can vary substantially. Also ask around - sometimes you can find a neighbor, friend, co-worker or even someone that will rent you space that is a LOT cheaper than a standard range. One time, after three phone calls, tracked down a little torn up patch on the edge of a Forestry-owned area that the State permitted the local shooters to use as a makeshift range. A use letter from the State a week later kept everyone else away for three years and it was all free! Keep an eye out - you never know what can happen.
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

Although I am at the range three or four days a week I do not get to shoot much. So we try and follow two practice regimes, monthly live fire with our EDC, normally 200 rounds in a couple of real life scenarios; car-jacking, street muggings, things like that. We do not do normal public range practice anymore as standing stationary shooting at a stationary target does not benefit the skills needed for defensive shooting. Of course if you have no place to shoot, it is what it is. I also suggest to all of our students to join the IDPA and participate monthly.

The second bit of practice is dry fire at least once a week for as long as I can possible stand it, drawing from concealment. This is the one bit of practice I am not sure people really practice enough . . . as an add, when we live fire we use a yaqui slide type of holster since reholstering a IWB can have risks that are not warranted.

8. I've found that for me a minimum of 1 trip a month consisting of about 200 rounds fired is barely enough to keep the rust off. If I want any improvement in my accuracy, I need weekly or bi-weekly trips of at least 200 rounds per trip to see any improvement. That's not counting dry fire practice. That's a daily thing for me anyhow (usually 10 to 20 minutes per day).

I'm going again this weekend... that makes three weekends in a row! Ah, life is good :)

Going to do some more drills with my AK, 12ga, and secondary's(M&P 9mm & 1911 .45)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I'll shoot a few tin cans once or twice a year just for fun.
    America's Epitaph
    Since They Did Not See Fit To Acknowledge God, He Gave Them Over To A Depraved Mind, To Do What Should Not Be Done

At least once a week sometime more my place.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast