Practice frequency? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practice frequency?

practice

I am a novice shooter. I do some practice at home but how important is it to also go to the range for practice as well?
    Also, we only have 1 range close by that will allow drawing from the holster. They require you to prove proficiency with the rangemaster in order to do it? I know this is a stupid question but what do most instructors consider proficient?

Gabe Suarez recommends daily for up to 30 minutes dry practice when learning something new, then a maintenance level of two or three ten to fifteen minute sessions per week.

Sonny Puzikas recommends the following ratio of training: 10% live fire, 50-60% dry practice, the rest FOF.

My current goal, not always met, is at least fifteen minutes dry per day and shooting at least once, preferably twice, per month.

I would go with a minimum of twice a week, at least 15 minutes, of dry practice and live fire at least once a month, more if you can manage it.
    www.inshadowinlight.com
    I don't care as much about making you more "tactical" as I do about making you better able to be the one still standing after the fight is over.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Dry fire practice is a great idea. Front Site training institute actually has published a manual of drills for dry fire training. I would be curious to read such a manual.
    I picked up a manual (along with a hat, t-shirts, etc) last time i was at Front Sight. The manual is a bit dated, and had to make corrections on a page or two. FS stresses dry practice as a way to bring the gun to play quickly and smoothly and develop 'muscle memory' without going bankrupt on ammo. I myself dry practice only five or ten minutes, two or three times a week but it's been thousands of holster draws over the years since I first started going to FS. Anyway, I go to the range to run through/refresh carry ammo every couple of months, here's the key part, to verify dry practice. It's amazing how efficient and cost effective dry practice is in regard to developing a smooth draw, getting the gun on target quickly all WITHOUT developing a flinch! BTW, practicing malfuction clearance (all three types) is also important.

Like BC1 said, no live ammo in the room.

Incidentally, you can dry practice various scenarios, from on the ground to getting off the 'X' while shooting, etc. If ya want a little 'realism' in regard to sight picture/point shooting practice while under stress, do jumping jacks for three minutes or run a 50 yd dash and then try to do some trigger control/sight picture work for a minute or two!

If you can stomach the marketing thing, here's a link to an order page at FS. The dry practice manuals and others are at or near the bottom of the page: http://www.frontsight.com/gun-training-manuals.asp

I'm sure Suarez Int. has some outstanding publications...

Ok, one more thing. I might recommend getting a life size human-pic target for dry practice to get your brain used to the fact it will be another human trying to kill you, that you will have to shoot to stop the attack... I found a life size manikin (waist up) in a dumpster at work and I use that with a T-shirt/jacket and a skull cap. I call him BO. ;-)
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

I am a photographer so I have some of those manikins I bought quite a while back for my "live models" when I was learning portraitures. Then we cleared the basement last winter and out came the soft toys, brought them to the fields and target practice on those with round targets in strategic locations. That was fun. We also collect soda cans, bottles, pumpkin leftover from Halloween, cherry tomatoes from the garden that will never reach the dinner table anymore -- it was a lot of fun. Short of those, we have the basement to practice drawing during wintertime. At least an hour a day drawing techniques. When we run out of soft toys, there are three Goodwill stores a drive away...<g>
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

The frequency of practice really depends on what you are practicing for and how good do you want to be at that. I teach self-defense, I carry daily, I handle my guns daily, practice daily, live fire monthly in real life scenarios and drills . . . it all depends on what you want to do, and how good you want to be.

right now I am learning mostly for self defense and to obtain my CHL. i have not ruled out IDPA however it is not what i am interested in at this time. i want to be the best i can be as with this nothing less will do. i also am fully aware there are a lot of legalities and liabilities that go along with it. i need to learn it all.

With a new shooter & new pistol, spend as much on ammo as you spent on the pistol, if only shooting a .22 caliber, that's great, you can shoot a lot & become proficient. By the time that first ammo is burned up, you will have become proficient with your shooting if you pay attention to all the basics. If you have a center fire pistol, you should still own a .22, as you can shoot hundreds of rounds of .22 lomg rifle for what a box of 20 center fire ammo will cost you. As for learning draw & presentation from a holster, it takes about two thousand repetitions of a motion for it to become automatically ingrained in our mind. Your reaction to a serious threat should be automatic. You owe it to yourself to practice that much to become really proficient. Anything less and you are just fooling around. Make sure your pistol or handgun can be dry fired without damaging it, if you intend to dry fire, some good snap caps may be in order. If you have difficulty in firing a tight group at first, start shooting from 7 feet, then progress to 10 feet, 15 feet, 20 feet, etc. etc. Moving the distance up gradually,while shooting one hole groups. Assuming you have a decent gun, shooting one hole groups at up to 50 feet will soon be possible. Buy quality firearms, you get what you pay for.

Practice is something you need to do as often as time and finances allow. There is no magic number, or one single practice routine that works for every shooter.

Dry fire and drawing from a holster is something you can accomplish daily. All that's required is time, a safe area, and a completely unloaded firearm. Strive for at least half an hour a day. Dry fire will refine your breath control, trigger squeeze, and sight alignment.

For live fire practice, the .22 and indoor range you mentioned you have is great for that. Don't know what a box of .22s is up your way, but near me it's around $1.25. So a 200 round day costs 5 bucks. Work on what you have the most trouble with. Live fire with your centerfire handgun on the outdoor range should be the same - work on your weak areas.

The main thing about practice is to have a plan. Don't just go and blindly send lead downrange. Actually write out what you are going to do at the range each session, and why you are doing it. Then stick to the plan. (As an aside, if you document your practice sessions, you can introduce them as evidence should you ever have to shoot someone.)

A realistic practice regimen can include daily dry fire and draw practice, one day at the range every other week, AND one IDPA match a month. If you have the time and can afford more, so much the better. This is pretty much a bare minimum here.

IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) is an organization dedicated to the defensive use of the handgun. It doesn't cost a lot to join, and the real beauty is that you can compete in matches with the same weapon you carry on a daily basis. An incredibly friendly group of shooters, they will be more than happy to guide you through your first match. The benefits of shooting IDPA matches are:
    * You're competing, which puts you under some external pressure
    * You get to develop yourself tactically
    * You can learn by watching others
    * It's a whole lot of fun!

Now, IDPA isn't the be-all, end-all to shooting sports or tactical training. However, the low cost involved to enter and compete and the training it does provide is well worth the time and effort. Shooting a match takes you out of your comfort zone and forces you to apply the basics you have mastered.

President & Lead Instructor
    The Tactical Pirate www.tacticalpirate.com
    Professional Firearms Training

before I went over the road (truck driver), I was practicing every other week, Just got of the road, about 3 weeks ago, do to illness in the family, been unable to get to the range, hopefully ill get there soon

I have a bersa .380 3rd generation 15 round. I went to the range this past weekend with my husband who has his CHL already. I shot 150 rounds from 7 yards and put at least half of them thru the center. The hole was pretty significant. All rounds hit the target. 90% in the green or center. It was the first time I had actually fired that gun. But I do have a bit of practice time in with it. We are going again in a couple of weeks. I hope to do better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast