Court ordered firearms safety for felons? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Court ordered firearms safety for felons?

Thanks for the input. the courts did give him a name and number of a firing range with an instructor they use, but he is not on our side of town. I happen to be local and right down the street. as far as his charges he told me that he got busted with a misdameanor amount of marijuana and they also found his firearm. drugs+firearm=felony. As far as I know there is no plea, he has a felony. He has a letter from his probabtion officer stating that he has to take a course. What kind of paperwork would the court given him? would he have a court document that states he must take a class? Still not sure if I want mess with this guy, but I will deffinately try to keep you guys up to speed on what happens. Have any of you been contacted for this?
    Basic Pistol Instructor
    Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Marijuana? Easy ... unless he has been clean for years...it is safe not to get involved. Dump him!
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by NRA-NSTRCTR View Post
    Thanks for the input. the courts did give him a name and number of a firing range with an instructor they use, but he is not on our side of town. I happen to be local and right down the street. as far as his charges he told me that he got busted with a misdameanor amount of marijuana and they also found his firearm. drugs+firearm=felony. As far as I know there is no plea, he has a felony. He has a letter from his probabtion officer stating that he has to take a course. What kind of paperwork would the court given him? would he have a court document that states he must take a class? Still not sure if I want mess with this guy, but I will deffinately try to keep you guys up to speed on what happens. Have any of you been contacted for this?
    Interesting. If there's no plea offer why would he take the class? In NY probation may get involved at a pre-sentencing hearing. Perhaps that's where it came from. Be careful on this one.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

If you really want this guys couple of bucks contact probation officer and see what he has to say, personaly I'd rather not fuss with this guy, the results may get you into a lot of .....stuff

I would like to know as well^

Any updates on this?

Since it was a misdameanor amount and the gun was not used to commit a crime maybe the judge has it right and is going to drop the felony charge once the course has been completed and give this guy a break. I would like to know more about this case. Sounds interesting. Since the guy was ordered by the court to take the course and you have verified this why the hesitation?
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

If the court order does not specify a particular course, You could teach "Home Firearms Safety" or an "Eddie Eagle" course. Both are non shooting courses and firearms handling is not mandatory.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I called an friend of mine, who is an ADA He never heard of such a thing but said he would find out for me

I've had a couple of these, one was a DUI in possession of firearm in his vehicle (Misdemeanor) and the other a felony menacing plead down to misdemeanor. The court was vague on what the safety class was to be, but I did a 4hr private class with each of them, wrote a letter to the judge and pocketed my fees.
    Hi-Caliber Training & Tactics
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."- Theodore Roosevelt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast