Court ordered firearms safety for felons?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Court ordered firearms safety for felons?

Court ordered firearms safety for felons?

Hey Guys I have been contacted by a gentleman that has been court ordered to take a firearms safety class. My hesitation is that he has a felony. Have any of you come across this? Did you do the training without a firearm? would you steer clear all together. any info would be helpful. thanks in advance!
    Basic Pistol Instructor
    Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

3. Sometimes this is included in a plea agreement. I'm assuming he had so
    E kind of firearm charge and got it reduced and as I said part of the plea. Contact the DA's office to be sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Lance View Post
    Sometimes this is included in a plea agreement. I'm assuming he had so
    E kind of firearm charge and got it reduced and as I said part of the plea. Contact the DA's office to be sure though.
    Agreed. And make sure you have a copy of that court order.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Judge had his head up his rear!
    Crime has no boundaries - Carry Safe!

as far as i knew if u were a convicted felon u could not own or be in possesion of a firearm. sorry i know my spelling isnt correct but you get the point i hope!!!

Personally, if he was convicted of a person-on-person, gun-related or other dangerous crime I would refuse the student. If it was a non-violent felony such as a DUI I would accept the student but would not let him handle a firearm.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I don't understand why a court would issue such an order. What would the purpose be? In any case, I'd contact the court for clarification.
    Charlie

9. Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    I don't understand why a court would issue such an order. What would the purpose be? In any case, I'd contact the court for clarification.
    Perhaps the original charge was a felony but was reduced with a plea agreement that included a class. They are usually ordered for crimes such as improper use of a firearm, brandishing, negligent discharge, felony menacing, juvenile possession of a firearm, unlawful carry, and unlawful use, sale, or possession of a firearm.

Guy had a good lawyer. If he's telling the truth to the instructor that is.

10. omg is this judge on drugs

I would like to know what that judge was smoking or thinking by putting a gun back in the hands of a felon

If you wind up contacting the court and doing some fact-finding on this, would you mind letting us know what you find out? It just seems like there are some facts or circumstances that haven't come to light here.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast