Wonder Where the NRA is with On-Line Training?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wonder Where the NRA is with On-Line Training?

Wonder Where the NRA is with On-Line Training?

Wanted to pass this along to those who participated in my last post about on-line training. I never knew where the NRA stood on this but I am very relieved to know they do have a position. If you do on-line training be very aware of this.

National Rifle Association says 'no' to online Arizona CCW training courses - Phoenix gun rights | Examiner.com

The law is pretty vague by including language such as "course". I still think nothing better thn meeting your students face to face!

I teach physics in high school and our administration wants us to provide an online course for a laboratory based physics class. Stupefied, I asked them how the students are to perform the required hands-on lab activities online. They told me I had to be creative and to quit being a nay-sayer. (Apparently, any time you question anything, you are labeled a "naysayer") I shook my head and walked away from that meeting. To this day, we do not have an online lab based physics course. The reason? It's hands on!!!

How does one show another how to use a firearm correctly unless they are there to witness you handling a firearm correctly?? I agree with the NRA stance on this issue.

The Internet is a great tool, but all tools are limited in their scope and as such we should know the limitations of using it. Can I bang a nail into wood with the slide of my Glock with its tenifer (or the new nitration) finish? Yes. Should I? No.
    Last edited by wolf_fire; 07-18-2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: grammar
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

It's the stupidest idea I've heard since "gun control."
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

America has become a 'push the button' society. I am glad the NRA is taking a stand against online CCW training.

KK

They would lose way too much money from all their "NRA certified instructors.". Bad business...I mean it has nothing to do with "shall not be infringed..." Follow the money.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

7. I do not think it is all about money. As an instructor, I am saying that this person is competent with a firearm. There is no way that I would sign that if I had not seen them shoot. Safety is number one. I can even decide to let someone take a course or remove them from that course for any reason that I see fit. In NC, the concealed carry class is a minimum standard. We can make the course more strict. For example, the qualifying course of fire is a minimum of 30 shots with 18 hits. I can make that longer and more strict if I so choose, which I do.

Quote Originally Posted by jaya View Post
    I do not think it is all about money. As an instructor, I am saying that this person is competent with a firearm. There is no way that I would sign that if I had not seen them shoot. Safety is number one. I can even decide to let someone take a course or remove them from that course for any reason that I see fit. In NC, the concealed carry class is a minimum standard. We can make the course more strict. For example, the qualifying course of fire is a minimum of 30 shots with 18 hits. I can make that longer and more strict if I so choose, which I do.
    Are your classes free? It's about safety right....not money...not about shall not be infringed...it must feel good to be able to deny someone else's Rights ya?

In Washington I just have to be alive to exercise my 2A.

The bolded part of your post is exactly why gun control is ********. Elitists who keep making a Right HARDER to get, all for "safety." Soon your ridiculous idea of who qualifies for a Right will be the normal curriculum, then what...soon it will be pay $2000 + 500 rounds, minimum 90% accuracy...failure constitutes forfeiture of money, wait 6 months to try again...if you pass wait 12 months for a permission slip, reapply every 2 years from time of class. what's freedom without our instructors permission right?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

9. Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Are your classes free? It's about safety right....not money...not about shall not be infringed...it must feel good to be able to deny someone else's Rights ya?

The bolded part of your post is exactly why gun control is ********. Elitists who keep making a Right HARDER to get, all for "safety." Soon your ridiculous idea of who qualifies for a Right will be the normal curriculum, then what...soon it will be pay $2000 + 500 rounds, minimum 90% accuracy...failure constitutes forfeiture of money, wait 6 months to try again...if you pass wait 12 months for a permission slip, reapply every 2 years from time of class. what's freedom without our instructors permission right?
    If we are forced to take training in order to carry concealed (I agree we shouldn't have to pay to exercise a right) I don't see how online training would be effective unless you have a practice range in your basement.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post

I do charge for classes, do you get paid for your work? However, when we sign a piece of paper saying that someone is competent with a firearm, I am going to make sure that they are competent. You may call me an elitist or whatever, that does not bother me. I am not denying someone a right to carry in any way. In NC we can open carry without a permit. Yes I choose to make the shooting qualification more strict and do so by requiring more than the 30 shot minimum. I use a 50 round test. It is my name on the line. There is a small chance that I might have to go to court if one of my students has a self defense shooting. There are requirements that we must teach in our class. We do have the option of using the state course or making one up of our own. We can also get into trouble if we are teaching something completely off the wall. You do not like my requirements, take the class from someone else. It is my name and reputation on the line. In reguards to this topic, how can someone prove competency with a firearm through an online course? They can't.

Quote Originally Posted by jaya View Post
    I do charge for classes, do you get paid for your work? However, when we sign a piece of paper saying that someone is competent with a firearm, I am going to make sure that they are competent. You may call me an elitist or whatever, that does not bother me. I am not denying someone a right to carry in any way. In NC we can open carry without a permit. Yes I choose to make the shooting qualification more strict and do so by requiring more than the 30 shot minimum. I use a 50 round test. It is my name on the line. There is a small chance that I might have to go to court if one of my students has a self defense shooting. There are requirements that we must teach in our class. We do have the option of using the state course or making one up of our own. We can also get into trouble if we are teaching something completely off the wall. You do not like my requirements, take the class from someone else. It is my name and reputation on the line. In reguards to this topic, how can someone prove competency with a firearm through an online course? They can't.
    What is it about "Shall not be infringed" that you don't get? Keep on tearing down the 2A, your doing a great job at it...your even getting paid to do it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast