Illinois Instructor CC Course - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Illinois Instructor CC Course

Is it just me, or does the OP not want to talk about whether or not he is already a Certified Firearms Instructor. Illinois requires range time and qualification shooting. Could the OP pass that test, or, even more demanding, the NRA Basic Pistol Course Instructor shooting requirements?

@CC_Man - You have attracted a lot of attention from Certified Instructors - and for the most part, we are trying to be helpful. But, an instructor cannot teach what he/she does not know. It is like flying; you can read the text until you have it memorized, but getting into an airplane and flying safely requires one-on-one instruction for many, many, hours. To be a firearms instructor, it is not enough that you know how to shoot, you must be capable of teaching others, recognizing their bad habits, and teaching them through those bad habits. For instance, in all of my NRA Instructor courses, we were paired with experienced instructors who deliberately committed mistakes. The NRA Training Counselor was looking to see if we could figure out the "student's" mistake and correct it in a non-threatening and professional manner.

In an earlier post I pointed out that the requirements for an IL Concealed Carry Permit Instructor are already a matter of IL Law. You must either be certified as a Law Enforcement Instructor, or, be certified as a firearms instructor by a Law Enforcement Agency of IL or some other state.
    NRA Certified Instructor, Pistol, Rifle, PPIH, RSO
    Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Intructor
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, & Florida

I think he is just someone wanting to cash in. There will be a lot of that I think.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

I looked at his other posts. He's not an instructor, unknown if he even is a shooter. He thinks all he has to do is get his instructor certification and cash in. He doesn't want to respond to questions here so how's he ever going to be able to respond to his students questions?
    Hi-Caliber Training & Tactics
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."- Theodore Roosevelt

I live in Illinois and I am currently waiting for the ISP requirements as well.

It looks like the ranges near Chicago are going to be charging $300 or below for a 16 hour course, there is no way I would pay any more than that to go with another instructor unless it was tactical firearms instruction & course.

$600 is outrageous!

I feel for the people of Illinois. I think there is going to be a lot of overpricing going on. Here in Oklahoma we can only charge 60.00 for 8 hours.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

I'm going to get setup to teach carry concealed as well. All applied and sent off awaiting approval. I have been running businesses of one kind or another since I was 18. Right now I am about to turn 36, so half my life.

One thing I learned is never ever ever let anyone elses' prices determine your price. If you don't know what to charge you have two options, either hire a competent accountant or just go work for someone else. At another forum alot of people who don't understand the first thing about business are complaining about price. They think the instructors are out to get rich, they think the instructors are taking advantage.

What I can tell you is that for me in my situation, if I charge less than $295 for a 16 hour course with range qualifications, I am not going to make any money. This would be an all inclusive price, and the first 8 hours would be the full NRA Basic Pistol with certification and range qualification. Sure, someone can save $20 by taking a class very similar to NRA Basic but without all the NRA books and literature. My price also includes breakfast on both days, lunch on both days, coffee and soft drinks on both days, use of a target grade firearm if necessary, and free ammunition. It includes eyes and ears. I pay the range fees. I pay the classroom fees. Anyone not marking these things into the cost can certainly charge much less than I. Heck I see people charging $300 and don't include any of the things I mentioned. It's not what you pay, it's what you get.

This price is also based on an assumption of 1,000 students per year, 10 classes of 10, for a minimum of 5 years (5,000 students total) to recoup my startup costs.

If you get certified by the NRA, which is pretty much a requirement unless you have LEO instructor experience, the NRA spends a few minutes explaining how to properly price a job to their basic instructors. I think that only scratches the surface of what an instructor needs to know about the business aspect of running an instructor business. keep in mind being the wolds best instructor in no way qualifies you to run a business.
    -Thomas
    Member, ISRA; NRA Life Member & Instructor; AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com @AlphaKoncepts

Quote Originally Posted by 3gunshooter View Post
    I feel for the people of Illinois. I think there is going to be a lot of overpricing going on. Here in Oklahoma we can only charge 60.00 for 8 hours.
    I heard that and that is complete bull kaka. If I were to charge $60 for an 8 hour course what's in it for the instructor? That's communism when the State dictates the price.

I guess it all depends what's included and what your costs are. For me a classroom of 10 people would costs $20 per student for an 8 hour day. That's just the classroom and doesn't include range time or any training aids. Here the cheapest you see a NRA basic pistol going for is $125 plus range, plus ammo and plus everything else. No way anyone here could charge $60 and make any money.

Then again I heard the state mandates that IL hunter safety must be taught free of charge. I was told that the instructors will do one class a year for free so they can write off their hunting trips and hunting ammunition as business expenses.
    -Thomas
    Member, ISRA; NRA Life Member & Instructor; AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor www.alphakoncepts.com www.gunrights4illinois.com @AlphaKoncepts

This is great that everyone is voicing their opinion. I have learned a lot for your comments. Some have stated they train people to carry deadly weapons for $10 per an hour or less. Well Iím sorry I can't do that. The issue is the liability, if you don't complete the train correctly or document some correctly you could be facing jail time or lose your investment by being shut down. Look Illinois has a 16 hour course this already has more restriction than any other state. Some of you can do it online, or have 4 to 8 hours of training. Sixteen hours means the class will meet at least 2 times most likely 4 this would still be 4 hours per class. Then if you are not a range owner than you would need to pay range fees and cost for ammunition. I saw where one person add they serve breakfast and lunch, and provides ammo and you get what you pay for. This business will not stand a chance in the real business world. This is a serious training course and Concealed Carry isn't for everyone. It takes a lot of effort to create a course like this and you can't give it away. Some of the people act like it's wrong to make a profit. Well if that's so then start offering your course for free. Start a Not-For-Profit. If your not making a profit, then you wont be in the business. FYI..To clear up so of the inflated numbers I have considered charging $25.00 an hour as I'm a professional, and had to complete and pay for training to do so. With that being said 25.00 multiplied by the 16 hours is $400.00. Last thing if there's any instructor that feel this is too much then I feel that your short changing yourself or you don't have much involved within your program. Remember CC isn't for everyone and I believe the training must be taken very serious and not just pushing people through to make a buck so more people will have guns in their hands. We need to focus on safety. Respectively CC_Man

Quote Originally Posted by grizzerr View Post
    I looked at his other posts. He's not an instructor, unknown if he even is a shooter. He thinks all he has to do is get his instructor certification and cash in. He doesn't want to respond to questions here so how's he ever going to be able to respond to his students questions?
    I called BS as soon as I read it. The OP wants to make some easy money and just wanted some help from "us" to see what he had to do to get it...
    He is no friend to gun owners!

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Be nice. Life is too short for you to worry about what I'm going to do. If you don't believe in what I'm doing then move on. Stop dwelling on your negative comments. I have not made any negative comments because I'm a professional.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast