Illinois Instructor CC Course - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Illinois Instructor CC Course

From reading the IL State Police website, it appears that instructors have to do the following: 1) Get fingerprinted at a ILSP Certified vendor (lists on their site) and supply the transaction number. 2) Apply online and enter whether you are POST Certified, Certified by the IL Board of Standards, or, what Law Enforcement Agency Certified you as a Firearms Instructor, and 3) submit your 16-hour course curriculum. The ILSP website offers no guidance as to what needs to be in the curriculum, but ILSP will evaluate it and say YEA or NEA. It is not at all clear to me how one would do that as the application for is online and then you print out a signature affidavit and have a Notary Public sign and affix their seal and mail that i. It is not clear from the website if the Notary must be an IL Notary.

It is very clear to me that IL will ONLY accept applications from LEO Instructors or those certified as firearms instructors by a Law Enforcement Agency of IL or another State.

I visit WI about twice a year and am contemplating whether or not to go after Certification as an Instructor in IL. In addition to being an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor, I am Certified as a Firearms Instructor by the Utah Department of Public Safety; DPS includes Utah Highway Patrol and BCI. As I ponder this decision, my thoughts on a course curriculum would be the NRA Basic Pistol Course for the first 8 hours (possibly going overtime for range qualification if I have several shooting novices). No more than 10 students per class for the "personal" one-on-one and answering questions. The next 4 hours would be the teaching of the IL Law and how IL and US Firearms Laws relate to each other. (To do this, I would likely hire or barter with another IL instructor to be sure I get IL Law right.) - and the last 4 hours would consist of concealed carry technique + basic personal protection + how to avoid a firefight in the first place.

I am looking for critique on this concept from other instructors, particularly my fellow instructors in IL.
    NRA Certified Instructor, Pistol, Rifle, PPIH, RSO
    Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Intructor
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, & Florida

Quote Originally Posted by CC_Man View Post
    Be nice. Life is too short for you to worry about what I'm going to do. If you don't believe in what I'm doing then move on. Stop dwelling on your negative comments. I have not made any negative comments because I'm a professional.
    A professional at what? You say you have an "education background" but you don't say you're a professional at it. You came here looking for advice, but failed to respond any questions or it seems to accept any advice.

The fact that you have an education background doesn't qualify to be a firearms instructor no more than someone who had a career in the military, law enforcement or competitive shooting or a CCW holder. Having had those experiences are helpful but you need so much more As an instructor you have to have good teaching skills. a complete knowledge of the material and the skills you're teaching and be able to demonstrate those skills to your students. You also should have attended firearms training classes (I don't mean just a CCW class or NRA Instructor course) and continue to to take classes as well as train and practice the skills you learn.

If you go to the Illinois Carry you'll find more info and that your proposed pricing is high. Most IL instructors are considerring $125-150.00 a day.

Based on your past performance here I don't expect a response.
    Hi-Caliber Training & Tactics
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    From reading the IL State Police website, it appears that instructors have to do the following: 1) Get fingerprinted at a ILSP Certified vendor (lists on their site) and supply the transaction number. 2) Apply online and enter whether you are POST Certified, Certified by the IL Board of Standards, or, what Law Enforcement Agency Certified you as a Firearms Instructor, and 3) submit your 16-hour course curriculum. The ILSP website offers no guidance as to what needs to be in the curriculum, but ILSP will evaluate it and say YEA or NEA. It is not at all clear to me how one would do that as the application for is online and then you print out a signature affidavit and have a Notary Public sign and affix their seal and mail that i. It is not clear from the website if the Notary must be an IL Notary.

It is very clear to me that IL will ONLY accept applications from LEO Instructors or those certified as firearms instructors by a Law Enforcement Agency of IL or another State.

I visit WI about twice a year and am contemplating whether or not to go after Certification as an Instructor in IL. In addition to being an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor, I am Certified as a Firearms Instructor by the Utah Department of Public Safety; DPS includes Utah Highway Patrol and BCI. As I ponder this decision, my thoughts on a course curriculum would be the NRA Basic Pistol Course for the first 8 hours (possibly going overtime for range qualification if I have several shooting novices). No more than 10 students per class for the "personal" one-on-one and answering questions. The next 4 hours would be the teaching of the IL Law and how IL and US Firearms Laws relate to each other. (To do this, I would likely hire or barter with another IL instructor to be sure I get IL Law right.) - and the last 4 hours would consist of concealed carry technique + basic personal protection + how to avoid a firefight in the first place.

I am looking for critique on this concept from other instructors, particularly my fellow instructors in IL.
    You're incorrect if you read the statute and the ISP sight it states
    Certification from an entity approved by the Illinois State Police that offers firearm instructor education and training in the use and safety of firearms
    and that entity is the NRA so you're still eligible.
    Hi-Caliber Training & Tactics
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by chicagogunsmith View Post
    I heard that and that is complete bull kaka. If I were to charge $60 for an 8 hour course what's in it for the instructor? That's communism when the State dictates the price.

I guess it all depends what's included and what your costs are. For me a classroom of 10 people would costs $20 per student for an 8 hour day. That's just the classroom and doesn't include range time or any training aids. Here the cheapest you see a NRA basic pistol going for is $125 plus range, plus ammo and plus everything else. No way anyone here could charge $60 and make any money.

Then again I heard the state mandates that IL hunter safety must be taught free of charge. I was told that the instructors will do one class a year for free so they can write off their hunting trips and hunting ammunition as business expenses.
    I have my own land and classroom. I don't like it that the state caps the rate. I don't do it full time but as a firm believer in the 2cnd Amendment I am not going to screw people just because it is the going thing.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock20 View Post
    A $400 class to teach CC will go over like a lead balloon, IMHO

What's worse is, on another thread, he said he wanted to charge $600. I guess $400 is better, but who in the world pays that much for a basic firearms course?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by grizzerr View Post
    You're incorrect if you read the statute and the ISP sight it states and that entity is the NRA so you're still eligible.
    I am glad to learn that I am in error. I had read that the part of the law you quote, but did not realize that ILSP had approved the NRA as an "entity that offers firearms instructor education or training" (the ILSP website does not make that clear - or I missed it). I am relieved to learn I am wrong because I believe strongly in the NRA Instructor Certification program. Thank you for correcting me "grizzer". My compliments sir (and also on your website).

And now to the Original Post (OP).

As I look back on the many replies to your OP, I see that the majority of responses come from Professional Firearms Instructors. Some of us instuct full time and others (like myself) treat firearms instruction as a second, but very serious, career. We Certified Instructors are, I believe, for the most part, genuinely interested in helping you. But, you present us with a credibility problem. By way of example, with each student I take, my first question (beyond his/her name) is to ask for his/her background in shooting. I need this information in order to tailor the level of instruction to the skill level I am dealing with. I am delighted when a student honestly admits that he/she is a novice. That means I have a clean slate to work with - a shooter who has not had the chance to develop bad habits. Thus, when we ask you for your background in shooting, we do so in an effort to best offer meaningful advice.

For instance, if you are an elementary school teacher, high school teacher, or even college professor with a Ph.D. who is also a deer hunter, I would suggest one path to Certification as a Firearms Instructor. If you were an ex SEAL Team 6 member, it would be another path. You get my drift. So, please, if you want genuinely helpful advice from the various Professional Firearms Instructors who are participating in this thread, tell us your level of teaching experience AND what Certifications as a Firearms Instructor you have - or your experience level as a shooter.
    NRA Certified Instructor, Pistol, Rifle, PPIH, RSO
    Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Intructor
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, & Florida

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234