Ever failed a student?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever failed a student?

Ever failed a student?

As a fairly new instructor with NRA and NC Concealed Handgun instructor I'm finding it hard to fill the basic pistol course. People just want their CHL, I get it but if you don't have the basic skills I won't sign the cert. Any thoughts?

Yes, keep up the good work. It is commendable that you adhere to the rules and fail people that are not able to meet the standards. Back in the day when I lived in Texas, out of all the CHL classes that I suffered through there was not a single one that followed the prescribed time limits for the shooting qualification.

I used to joke that the diplomas that I got from the really lame universities that I attended were much more receipts than diplomas. If you turn your CHL class into a license mill, the consequences can be far more dire and you may wind up with a real mess on your hands if you don't do things as you believe they should be done.

Blog Entries
    Keep the faith, brother! I am a NC instructor who absolutely refused to administer an 8-hour class unless I have 6 students or less. Most of my classes are 12-14 hours. I go beyond the bare minimum required by law and require competence, not just the prescribed number of holes in the target. If you're looking an 8-hour "quickie", there are plenty others ready to deliver. In my class we talk about tactics, learn to move with a gun, and discuss techniques necessary to survive the aftermath of a shooting. If you have a question in my class, any question, I try to answer it. I've never had anyone abuse my patience. If I can teach you to avoid a shooting and, if necessary, how to survive it legally, morally and psychologically, I feel like I have fulfilled my calling. I have taught civilian firearms for over 31 years and been a law enforcement firearms instructor during my entire law enforcement career. Quality is more important than quantity and facts more helpful than platitudes. Do it right my friend!

6. I've had a group of students tell me that they wanted a class with just "hands on" and no bookwork. Any instructor knows that a moral responsibility, as well as professional requirements, dictate otherwise. I'm a firearms instructor, but this happened to me when I was asked to set up a "first in" fire instruction class. No matter what you instruct, someone will ask you to compromise standards, for some reason or another. "Standards" are standards, and are proven to work in most cases. Compromising them puts everyone into a non proven, unknown, possibly dangerous situation. "Everyone goes home" is the motto in emergency management services, and this can be a good fit in firearms safety, hunter safety, boating safety, etc. Safety has no compromise!

Quote Originally Posted by fearhd View Post
    As a fairly new instructor with NRA and NC Concealed Handgun instructor I'm finding it hard to fill the basic pistol course. People just want their CHL, I get it but if you don't have the basic skills I won't sign the cert. Any thoughts?
    I am guessing that it may have something to do with the second amendment. Why is someone that open carries without a chl anymore of a risk. I understand you sell your services and I guess I am just wondering when you are going to insist that anyone wanting to purchase a firearm must first attend a ten hour class on firearms safety. How about ten hours of training before you can shoot skeet? Or how about the right to bear arms is enshrined in the constitution and mandatory training is not! Most people that have firearms are well adjusted folks and probably don't need an NRA class. Just another way to tax folks...that's all...just another way to create unnecessary jobs.

No child left behind. lol
    I could see additional training, or refusing to let someone get past the first hour of classroom instruction if they had a bad attitude, but going through the class, and saying no? So far, I have seen no one that would end in that result. I have recommended they get a better operating firearm, better holster, training belt, etc.

On a mass production assembly line, sometimes stuff falls off the convertor belt that should not be marketed. I would think in a small class of lots of one on one instruction, Finding at the end, """Houston, We Have A Problem""", is a sign the program is at fault as much as the student.

I can say I have never failed anyone , however with that I have had to do extra training some one on one time and to be honest sometimes even equipment improvement's upgrades .

Two years ago when I took my Ark CHCL class we had one guy who interrupted the instructor and contradicted him at every turn. After 2 hours of this he refunded his money at the first break and sent him on his way. He smelled like he was still drunk from last night.
    We could breathe better after that. The instructor was a assistant preacher.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

@ JimTh. Please don't misunderstand me. I believe everyone should own a firearm. Parents, friends or someone taught people how to use a gun properly from its conception. But as long as its State Law and I could be responsible for signing a cert for someone who has made a bad decision, I will not pass someone who is unsafe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast