Practice what you Preach? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Practice what you Preach?

Practice what you preach follow-up

Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    I know some very competent shooters who have attended Front Sight. Some of them swear by Front Sight and some of them swear at Front Sight. I have no experience with Front Sight except for the daily emails and the robo-calls 2 or 3 times a week. Please post your critique after the course.
    Thanks Jpm, definitely will. My plan was to blog at the conclusion of each day. Trip is booked, Nov 8-11. Looking forward to it.

I also look forward to your report once you return from Front Sight.

the instructions needs to be followed everytime everywhere........

it helps a bit. But not as much as having them watch you toss up a pair of soda cans with the hand that "clears' your concealing garment, draw from ccw and hit both cans in the air. :-) THAT establishes who is what, quick and easy. Anyone can understand what that means in the way of speed and accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    it helps a bit. But not as much as having them watch you toss up a pair of soda cans with the hand that "clears' your concealing garment, draw from ccw and hit both cans in the air. :-) THAT establishes who is what, quick and easy. Anyone can understand what that means in the way of speed and accuracy.
    Hey,that's a pretty cool trick but do you know anyone that can actually do it.

I can do it, most of the time, from IWB under a t shirt, and you can learn, too, mostly using Airsoft. But there is a trick that lets you simply 'cheat", (just like you should ALWAYS do if you are attacked). :-) What you do is use a front pants pocket rig, in slacks, and start with hand on gun, in the pocket. That saves you about 1/2 second and eliminates the risk of not clearing the outer garment adequately, or snagging on the shirttail, or getting a bad grip on the gun. You can learn to do a LOT in that 1/2 second. :-)

I've shown many people that I can toss up a soda can, draw from under my shirt with the throwing hand, cycle the slide on a 1911, and still hit the can in midair. It's actually harder to throw both cans in a suitable way than it is to make the draw and get the hits. They have to go up and fall 'just so" . hitting ONE can with a ccw draw is no big deal.

8. Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    I can do it, most of the time, from IWB under a t shirt, and you can learn, too, mostly using Airsoft. But there is a trick that lets you simply 'cheat", (just like you should ALWAYS do if you are attacked). :-) What you do is use a front pants pocket rig, in slacks, and start with hand on gun, in the pocket. That saves you about 1/2 second and eliminates the risk of not clearing the outer garment adequately, or snagging on the shirttail, or getting a bad grip on the gun. You can learn to do a LOT in that 1/2 second. :-)

I've shown many people that I can toss up a soda can, draw from under my shirt with the throwing hand, cycle the slide on a 1911, and still hit the can in midair. It's actually harder to throw both cans in a suitable way than it is to make the draw and get the hits. They have to go up and fall 'just so" . hitting ONE can with a ccw draw is no big deal.
    Ok when you can do this while the can is shooting back at you let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post

You need a TV show, way too much talent not to share with the world. You are way too good to be on Impossible Shot.
    Certified NRA Firearms Instructor
    Oklahoma SDA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by maine04619 View Post
    Ok when you can do this while the can is shooting back at you let me know.
    If you can find that can, let me know! Be great backup and I could carry it in my purse. ;)
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

I think that going to classes does add credibility, but that is only the first step. The biggest issue I find when trying to recruit instructors to teach for us is a lack of ability to effectively teach, communicate and relate to the student that they are working with. After years of training and experience it is easy to forget how difficult it is for our students to do some of the things we are showing them. It is even worse if they have to unlearn a bad method first.

Think back to learning to ride a bike or tie you shoes. I know we learn this at an early age, but when you first try it seems impossible. Once you really learn, it is easy. After tens of thousands of repetitions it is hard to understand how anyone cannot do these things.

Know how to ride a bike and being able to teach someone to ride a bike are two very different things. It is the same with shooting.

So take the classes, but look at what teachable moments they offer, not just what material is being presented. As instructors we need to constantly look for ways to deliver our message to our students more effectively.

Rick
    NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment Foundation Life Member
    NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast