Elbows while shooting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elbows while shooting

1. Elbows while shooting

I've often thought of this myself but never really got out to test it and have never heard it mentioned. This is easiest to explain for bow hunters. When shooting a pistol, both your arms are fully extended and you can turn your elbows so the bend faces up, or the bend faces in. For shooting a compound bow you need to turn your left elbow vertical so that the string doesn't whack your arm. What I'm asking, does the bend in your elbow have a significant effect on recoil (path of least resistance)? Or should you just go with what feels natural?

I go with what feels natural. It seems to be the most comfortable stance.
    Summer hobby is boating on the Bay and Lake Michigan.
    Winter hobby is driving that Jeep off the sides of mountains.

4. As a former Law Enforcement firearms instructor I always taught my students to shoot what feels comfortable. The Weaver Stance was heavily pushed in training while the Isosceles stance was mentioned. I remember teaching a student that shot a pistol right handed but sho a long gun left handed. This student shot very well. My theory is "if it's not broke, dont fix it." I am NOT a Steven Segal fan but I have heard that he is a very good shooter with a 1911 pistol. His stance is more of a martial arts tyle stance and he holds a pistol similar to holding a samuria sword. I personally use a combination of Weaver and Isosceles. I have no idea what its called but it was taught to me during a training by a Special Forces group in 1994. It worked well for me and I still use it.

When I taught new shooters, I would demonstrate each shooting stance and have them try each one. Then I let them choose which was best for them.

I also hunt with a bow and am aware of the elbow placement you are talking about. I do the same when shooting a long gun. I would advise a shooter that does this, if it works for you, leave it alone but be aware that tactically you may be exposing your elbow while shooting from behind cover.

Locking the elbows out and wrist forward does help some new shooters as it does help limit the skeletal movement up and down to the wrists and shoulders. I do the same and demonstrate the stances and have them try it as well. We go with whichever one is the most comfortable for them, even if it's a little modified just for them, everyone is not the same so whatever your stance it needs to be comfortable.

6. Thanks to all you guys! Sepayne, I was thinking the skeletal rigidity would be key, that's the reason I asked. I guess I'll just have to get out on my range and remember to try this next time! Thanks you guys for the quick informative responses.

7. I finally found it! This is one of my favorite YouTube channels by far, and I somehow missed this video until now. But this is exactly what I was looking for.

That's the video I was looking for as well. (This does work.)

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

Never take advice on how to shoot a handgun from a self-affected, ritualistic little fella wearing ear-rings and covered with gang banger tattoos.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich kid View Post
    Never take advice on how to shoot a handgun from a self-affected, ritualistic little fella wearing ear-rings and covered with gang banger tattoos.
    The very last thread I read you were called out for deficiencies in your personal life. This is what he meant, your personality.

As if advice from someone whose username is a bragging kid is any better.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rich kid View Post

I'm going to assume that was sarcasm, and chuckle... if not, I seriously hope you've done a lot of strong drugs in your day to get your brain THAT jacked up; if it's naturally like that, you should end your gene pool now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast