2 Questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Questions

1. 2 Questions

Good Day Mr./Ms./Mrs. Instructor:
    I have two questions that I have gotten confused on due to various opinions I have recently read. Here they are:
    1) Is it a better idea to carry one's weapon with mag locked, round chambered, and safety on or is another way better?
    2) I have an ankle holster I use to carry my weapon. I've been told that since I'm right handed I should wear it on the outside of my right leg and I've been told on the inside of my left leg. Which leg is best? Thanks.

I carry my 1911 locked and cocked, meaning a round in the chamber, the hammer cocked and the safety on. As for an ankle holster, I've found over the years that for right handers, carrying on the inside of the left leg works best (inside right leg for lefties)
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol & Personal Defense in the Home)
    North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor

+1 for inside left leg if you are a right handed shooter.

5. Thanks for your advice. I had it originally on the outside of my right leg but my nephew, a LEO and SWAT member, recommended the inside of the left leg. Said it would create a lower profile while extracting the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by dradams1951 View Post
    Good Day Mr./Ms./Mrs. Instructor:
    I have two questions that I have gotten confused on due to various opinions I have recently read. Here they are:
    1) Is it a better idea to carry one's weapon with mag locked, round chambered, and safety on or is another way better?
    2) I have an ankle holster I use to carry my weapon. I've been told that since I'm right handed I should wear it on the outside of my right leg and I've been told on the inside of my left leg. Which leg is best? Thanks.
    Simple answer to both questions is the same. It's personal preference.
    I'll offer you my take, however. In regards to carry condition, I carry with mag loaded, round chambered because in a life or death situation, you may not have the time or chance to rack the slide to chamber a round. I don't see any safety issue with carrying in condition zero as long as you have a modern firearm with a rolling block safety that prevents the gun from discharging if it's dropped (in other words you have to physically pull the trigger to fire the weapon. A gun that does not have this, for example, is a Tokarev TT33.) and as long as you follow the 4 basic rules of firearm safety at all times.
    Carry location. I dislike ankle carry unless, perhaps, it's for a backup gun. The problem with ankle carry is that if you get into an extreme close quarters defense situation, and you're standing, you can't get to your ankle with someone pinning you to a wall, for example. If you are taken to the ground, the adversary can pin you to the ground, and simply get your ankly gun himself, and that's never a good thing.
    My preferred carry location for easy of access and best retention, is appendix carry.

I didn't note being an instructor because I no longer am, but I have worked as a professional instructor in the past.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

1) I would suggest training until you are comfortable with carrying the firearm with a round in the chamber. You do not mention what type of pistol you are carrying, but the vast majority can be carried safely with a round in the chamber. There are a lot of defensive pistol classes that will fit the bill here. I do not know what part of the country you are from but course similar to the range portion of the NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home or the Advanced Defensive Pistol class are what you are looking for.

2) Most people prefer the inside of the left leg for a right handed person, but it is personal preference. Why have you decided on an ankle holster? Nothing against them but they are not the most practical holster for most people.

Rick
    NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment Foundation Life Member
    NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Instructor

8. Just posting to win price, sorry if disturbed somesing here.

Skip to 9:30 in to the video to learn why ankle carry isn't recommended. This guy is a retired LEO.
    Robert A. Heinlein

He's got great reasons for not to carry in an ankle holster. All of which I cannot argue against. But how many others found it hard to take him seriously with a Marvin Martian figure, a Punisher flag, a WonderWoman sticker on one safe, a Superman sticker on the other safe, and two hula dancing GUYS in the background?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

The guy is a bit of a comedian, but he has terrific advice in general, and I almost always agree with his stance on things about which he speaks. Not always, but mostly.
    If you can't see past his self-deprecating sense of humor, it's your own loss.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast