I'm surprised - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm surprised

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoy View Post
    ... what's happening in Wisconsin? ...
    If I recall correctly, the WI legislature has passed "shall carry" bills 2 years in a row, only to have them vetoed by the governor. Flip the governor and they're golden.

BTW, VERY COOL that recognition of all other states' permits is included in the IA bill. I would gladly have gotten an IA permit, but no need.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    If I recall correctly, the WI legislature has passed "shall carry" bills 2 years in a row, only to have them vetoed by the governor. Flip the governor and they're golden.

BTW, VERY COOL that recognition of all other states' permits is included in the IA bill. I would gladly have gotten an IA permit, but no need.

I already had Des Moines send me the application packet.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I already had Des Moines send me the application packet.
    They'll probably deny you until the law goes into effect. They rarely issue non-resident permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
    They'll probably deny you until the law goes into effect. They rarely issue non-resident permits.
    That's why I never sent it in....well that and the range "qualification' was pistol scoring 75% at 50'! I know i'm not that good yet...

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    That's why I never sent it in....well that and the range "qualification' was pistol scoring 75% at 50'! I know i'm not that good yet...
    I think Rhode Island is at 75ft.

IA is 50' or 75' depending on which target you choose...B-3 or B-13. In either case I think those distances are a bit far...

But...now I don't have to worry about that

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoy View Post
    I'm surprised that this site hasn't been discussing the recent events in Iowa.

Both houses of the Iowa legislature have overwhelming approved a bill, which the governor is expected to sign, making Iowa a "shall issue" state as of January 1, 2011. (As we all know, Iowa had remained strangely retrograde in its policy on CCW.) The language in the bill also states
    that Iowa will grant reciprocity to all other states. So starting next year, if you have a CCW permit in any state, you're good in Iowa. Apparently, your permit doesn't have to be resident, either, so a Maryland or New Jersey resident with a Florida or Utah permit will be able to carry in Iowa. (Iowa residents will need an Iowa permit, though.)

Not sure about what Iowa will do about non-resident permits, but for most of us, that won't matter
    Does anyone know the REAL effective date of this?? NEXT YEAR??? 9 Months later??? Sure would appreciate any factual information on the effective date.

Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGator View Post
    Does anyone know the REAL effective date of this?? NEXT YEAR??? 9 Months later??? Sure would appreciate any factual information on the effective date.

Thanks for any info.
    The very post that you have quoted says "As of January 1, 2011..."

And here is verification from the NRA. (Last bullet point in the article.)
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Go Iowa!!

Correct. I just did it... Not too bad at all. I was pleasantly surprised.
    Special Thanks to KN1080.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast