I'm surprised - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm surprised

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGator View Post
    Does anyone know the REAL effective date of this?? NEXT YEAR??? 9 Months later??? Sure would appreciate any factual information on the effective date.

Thanks for any info.
    I noticed it is linked to in the NRA site but here is direct link to the bill as passed.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I noticed it is linked to in the NRA site but here is direct link to the bill as passed.
    Thanks for the link!

That 1 Jan 2011 Just cost Iowa a Couple Hundred (from me) as we won't be traveling that way this fall.

I am glad to see that Iowa took the "Montana approach" to recognizing other permits... "If it a valid permit, they honor it". We need that universally across the country, and if we had it then we wouldn't have to even consider federal ligislation to mandate it.

StaySafe
    MG

"Montana" approach?

Some states (e.g., Missouri, Arizona, Oklahoma) recognize the permits of the other 49, but Montana honors only 42 others.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoy View Post
    "Montana" approach?

Some states (e.g., Missouri, Arizona, Oklahoma) recognize the permits of the other 49, but Montana honors only 42 others.

I'm thinking...that he saw MO...and assumed Montana...rather than Missouri....

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoy View Post
    ...So starting next year, if you have a CCW permit in any state, you're good in Iowa.
    If the governor signs, or the legislature overrides his veto, and if the opponents don't cancel the new law with a court injunction.

I too travel through Iowa and would love to see reciprocity for my CO or FL permits. Other than Iowa's having CC policy like NJ or CA from my point of view as a non-resident, I enjoy driving through the state on I-80. Iowa is one of the few states I traverse that have wireless internet access at interstate highway rest areas, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    If the governor signs, or the legislature overrides his veto, and if the opponents don't cancel the new law with a court injunction.

Legislature is already done for the year...and if Gov does not sign it becomes a pocket veto....and there is only 9 days left for him to sign it.

Everybody should contact the IA Governor..

Email Contact Form: Governor Culver and Lt. Governor Judge.

Governor Chet Culver (D)
    (515) 281- 5211

I know that in this world, anything can happen. But isn't it pretty safe to say that considering the overwhelming passage of the bill, a veto would be overridden anyway?
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

I'm not real familiar with how govt works...but don't they have to be in session to override a veto?

Right. So if the governor is anti, he can at least delay shall-issue for a full year by doing nothing, and hope the next legislature won't override or go through the no-doubt tedious process of passing a similar bill.

The governor indicated he would sign it a while back

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast