Ohio Minister Shot Dead Near Kentucky Church
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio Minister Shot Dead Near Kentucky Church

Ohio Minister Shot Dead Near Kentucky Church

Once again we are reminded that evil is everywhere and there is no place absolutely safe. Carry every place.

Police: Ohio minister shot dead near Ky. church - Yahoo! News

Police: Ohio minister shot dead near Ky. church
    Buzz Up Send
    Email IM Share
    Digg Facebook Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print 2 hrs 31 mins agoCOVINGTON, Ky. A gunman fatally shot a Cincinnati minister and wounded a church deacon just after the two men arrived at a northern Kentucky church to attend a funeral, police said.

Court records in Hamilton County, Ohio, revealed a yearlong dispute between the accused gunman and the minister, the Rev. Donald Fairbanks Sr.

Fairbanks and Dowdell Cobb were shot just before 11 a.m. Saturday, police said. The gunman chased one of the men to a nearby park, where he shot the man a second time, said Lee Russo, the police chief in Covington, Ky.

It was unclear which of the men was shot in the park.

Frederick L. Davis, of Covington, quickly surrendered to police and was charged with murder, first degree assault, criminal mischief and violating an emergency protection order. He was being held without bail and is scheduled to appear in court on Monday. A Kenton County, Ky., jail representative said Davis had no attorney listed.

Fairbanks, pastor of Cincinnati's New St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church, died later Saturday at St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Covington, authorities said. Cobb, a deacon at the church, was treated at University Hospital in Cincinnati. A hospital spokesman declined to release information on Cobb's condition.

In June 2007, Fairbanks filed a complaint accusing Davis of making a threatening phone call to his wife, records showed. Davis, 40, pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in October 2007, and a judge sentenced him to a year probation and ordered him to stay away from Fairbanks and New St. Paul Baptist Church.

Fairbanks and Cobb had hoped to attend the funeral of a 71-year-old woman who was related to a member of New St. Paul's congregation. Officials at Covington's Ninth Street Baptist Church went ahead with an abbreviated service for the woman after the shooting.

"To think that somebody would have total disregard for the family," the Rev. Richard Fowler, Ninth Street's pastor, said of the gunman. "They're already bereaved over the loss of a family member."

___

Information from: The Cincinnati Enquirer, Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati News | Cincinnati.Com
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Simply, totally, and unbelievably awful! That's why I don't put on my robe or sash until I'm inside the church, and why my nephew doesn't put on his Sheriff's uniform until he's inside the county building walls. There are some terribly kooky and quacky people out there!

That is very unfortunate. I certainly do not expect that to happen at my church, but I do stick my Kel-Tec in my pocket before I go.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

I am unsure how to deal w/ this situation. In my state, Ohio ( not confusion ) we can carry in church if we have the pastor's permission. Anyone got any insight how to go about asking the padre? or would, "Hey, i need permission to carry in church LEGALLY, so do you mind?" I guess, I just have to build up the courage to ask him. He knows I carry, having seen my empty holster a few times. Plus, he is a pretty avid outdsoorsman. If I conceal it properly (which I do) you cannot tell, I just want to keep it legal. (which is why we r the good guys, & they r the bad guys)
    ..... We ARE considered sheep in the Good Book, so, would that REALLY make me a sheepdog if I watch over "the flock"?
    ..............ANY THOUGHTS? .............
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". ~George Orwell / Rudyard Kipling

May God have mercy on all their souls.

It happened in a church in Tennessee earlier this year...

Two killed in Tennessee church shooting; suspect charged

It happened at a Wal*Mart in October of this year, too...

Police investigate Wal-Mart shooting

It can happen anywhere, anytime, by anyone. It will happen especially, and most often, when and where we don't expect it to happen. We should always be expecting something. We should always be alert, in at least yellow or orange mode, ready to defend ourselves and our loved ones. Can we ever let down our guard no matter if we are sitting in church or shopping afterward? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by mot mayhem View Post
    I am unsure how to deal w/ this situation. In my state, Ohio ( not confusion ) we can carry in church if we have the pastor's permission. Anyone got any insight how to go about asking the padre? or would, "Hey, i need permission to carry in church LEGALLY, so do you mind?" I guess, I just have to build up the courage to ask him. He knows I carry, having seen my empty holster a few times. Plus, he is a pretty avid outdsoorsman. If I conceal it properly (which I do) you cannot tell, I just want to keep it legal. (which is why we r the good guys, & they r the bad guys)
    ..... We ARE considered sheep in the Good Book, so, would that REALLY make me a sheepdog if I watch over "the flock"?
    ..............ANY THOUGHTS? .............

Communications between a parishoner and clergy are privlleged. If the SHTF and your firearm saves lives, I'm sure that your pastor won't be ratting you out.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

A reminder to always carry where you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Communications between a parishoner and clergy are privlleged. If the SHTF and your firearm saves lives, I'm sure that your pastor won't be ratting you out.

gf
    Why do you feel that you even have to ask? That said, I believe that the worst he/she can say is, "No." Then, our choices would be to attend unarmed, or cc anyway while attending, or find another church. I preach armed. I'd never tell a parishioner to not carry in my church, or not to carry anywhere. Yet, every church is different and I'm thinking that most ministers are pacifists, n'est pas? They don't believe that violence can settle violence. The problem there: BGs don't think that way. I sure don't believe that a minister who would try to be a human barrier between a BG with a firearm and one's congregation is the answer, either, because except for during "Meet and Greet," most ministers do not stand near the entrances to preach. But, don't tell the BGs that!

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Why do you feel that you even have to ask? That said, I believe that the worst he/she can say is, "No." Then, our choices would be to attend unarmed, or cc anyway while attending, or find another church. I preach armed. I'd never tell a parishioner to not carry in my church, or not to carry anywhere. Yet, every church is different and I'm thinking that most ministers are pacifists, n'est pas? They don't believe that violence can settle violence. The problem there: BGs don't think that way. I sure don't believe that a minister who would try to be a human barrier between a BG with a firearm and one's congregation is the answer, either, because except for during "Meet and Greet," most ministers do not stand near the entrances to preach. But, don't tell the BGs that!
    I'd be very careful using the word "never". Let's suppose a "Barney Fife" type attended your church. Would you not be concerned about him carrying in your church? Another example would be the town drunk. You know the guy's been drinking, and his judgement is questionable, would you let him carry in church?

Remember that this is a public forum. Anything you post here may one day come back and bite you when you least expect it.

DISCLAIMER: This post is not intended to be a lecture or degrading in any way. I am not using the OP as a "whipping post".

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast