1st LEO Encounter While CCW'ing - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 1st LEO Encounter While CCW'ing

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I agree with this statement.

As a supervisory LEO myself I can attest that complaints do get heard. Now don't think that one complaint against an officer will get him reprimanded. But a history of several complaints will get attention. Every officer on the force has at least one complaint against them, the majority of them are people being spiteful for getting a ticket.

But the situation as described above was flat out unconstitutional.

You did the right thing though and be compliant, on the street an officer will win every time. In the courthouse is a different manner altogether.
    Austin, you sound like one of the good guys, if I may ask where exactly are you employed? no perticular reason other than if we come thru there I may stop and say "Hey"............Dave & Cindy

3. Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    Austin, you sound like one of the good guys, if I may ask where exactly are you employed? no perticular reason other than if we come thru there I may stop and say "Hey"............Dave & Cindy
    Not every cop is over zelous or anti gun.Here in NY most of the cops I work with are good people.Driving a motor vehicle is not a right,if stopped the officer commands you to produce ID.Do they ask questions that may be too intrusive,yes the best course is hand over your credentials and be polite.Sometimes we all forget that cops are human.To all be safe.

I don't get it. You handed him your CPL with your license and registration. Why did he freak and say you didn't tell him you had a gun? You DID tell him you had a gun...when he asked you. What the hell does he think? You have a CPL. Of course you have a gun on you.<G>

IMHO he got a little to nosey, its no business or his as to the reason for you to have a weapon, your a legal permit holder, and you have your weapon, that should have ben good enough for him

6. Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I've never owned either, of any manufacturer or caliber. I have a Colt 1911 .45, Barretta .9, Cobra, and some others, all of which have some type of safety. I though all firearms, made since somewhere in the '80s, had to have some type of safety. Are you referring to earlier manufactured dates or did I misread the gist of your sentence? Can you explain more your comment? Thanks.
    glocks have 3 safetys,all internal

Yeah, basically what some of your are advocating is random stops and searches - under the guise of probably cause. Black people have been complaining about DWB (driving while black) stops for years. Is that really the kind of police y'all want?
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

handgonnetoter Guest
    I got pulled over once and made sure the LEO knew I had a valid permit and that I was in the carry mode. As he walked up I just made sure the interior lights were on and my hands were on the wheel. He really did not seem to be all that worked up about it. He checked out my info and sent me on my way with no attitudes. I have never really had a problem with them doing that - thats what my taxes pay them to do. Maybe the next one he checks on will really be a bad guy.

Sounds like things went a little better than most Ive read about in CA. It might have been an honest mistake on his part about the lights not working, then again who knows. He was just doing his job, you did well. Ive yet to been pulled over, even since Ive had my license [4 years haha, not once been pulled over, wont happen, believe me, Ive tried] being in the Military has its perks. I just hope my first encounter with an LEO will go as smoothly as yours did.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345