Open carry incident in Nashville gets me detained 2.5 hour at gun point carried AK-47 - Page 10
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 282

Thread: Open carry incident in Nashville gets me detained 2.5 hour at gun point carried AK-47

  1. #91
    Just to round this out and make sure I'm being clear..
    There is NOTHING wrong with a stunt.. Marketing people use stunts all the time.. Even the guy with the "boy in the balloon" pulled a stunt, But with a stunt, there is always an intended outcome..

    IF the intended out come was to get attention (wander around with an orange AK) and then revel in what people think about it (post to all the forums you can find).. Then it was a FINE stunt...
    Success!!!

    However..
    IF the stunt was to promote open carry the question is "promote to who (or is it whom??)..
    If it was to promote it to all the people who own guns by posting to all the forums...
    Maybe success, at least partially

    IF the stunt was to promote open carry and the target was the general populous.. Then by the Media coverage so far.. I'd have to give it a
    FAIL

    Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

  2.   
  3. #92
    I don't disagree that the dude was withing the law (so far as carrying.), it's just that he shoulda considered the bad publicity that he was giving ALL gun carriers. A camo guy with an assault rifle is just asking for the sheep to start screaming. I could legally ride around town with a fully loaded AK just in case I run into a platoon of muslim extremists, but the odds of me needing that much firepower Vs. the bad publicity and LEO problems just isn't worth it (to me).

    Now maybe in Houston, LA, Chicago or Queens, something like an AK might be reasonable :). But an AK in a park, playground, or Disneyworld is just asking for problems from both the LEO and Sarah Brady crowd.

    I'm pro-2A all the way, but honestly, a stranger camo dude with an AK in a park with my kids would concern me. I'd probably take my kids and leave. Not because he was wrong, but because I would be uncomfortable with a stranger with that much firepower around me for no obvious reason.






    .
    In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

  4. #93
    [QUOTE=Axeanda45;105117]
    Please, enlighten us with facts, real sources (beside your opinion) on how what this man did hurt or set us back on what we have gained? Do you have scientific polls? Do you have any documented research on the matter that proves this? Or is this just your "FEELINGS" on the matter?I have no evidence otherwise, but you brought it up, so the burden of proof is yours to provide, not mine.


    It's a bit difficult to determine at this point if the OP's actions will or will not result in any actions taken on the part of Tennessee's General Assembly. The TN GA isn't in session, and hasn't been in session since prior to 12/20 when the OP was involved in the situation described in the first post. You can bet that the situation has been, and will continue to be discussed among law-makers. In addition, given the fact that Tennessee local governments are allowed to opt out of the law which made it possible to carry in parks, you can probably make a safe bet that a greater number of local governments will in fact choose that option rather than allow weapons carry by the public. What is clearly true is that the OP has generated controversy and negative publicity on the issue of open and concealed carry at a time when legislation is being actively considered. Take note, on November 20th 2009, a Davidson county judge ruled that the provision in a recent law which allowed permit holders to carry into restaurants that serve alcohol was unconstitutional. As a result, legislators will be forced to reexamine that law in the the upcoming session. As it so happens, the law allowing for the carry of weapons in restaurants that serve alcohol, and the carry of weapons in parks is one in the same. Since a part of a bill is due to be reconsidered, it is also true that the entire bill is due to be reconsidered.

    There is also an additional reason for concern. News of controversy created by the OP can affect legislative efforts in other states. For example, the Georgia General Assembly is considering HB 615 which if passed as written would remove the restrictions on carrying weapons in all state owned and public places except areas of building that house prisons, courtrooms, or jails. I would not be at all surprised the OP's actions were to give cause for changes to the language in HB 615, or for the bill to fail entirely.

    Every 2A supporter needs to understand that law-makers hold the power deny or restrict rights. In 1934 we had the NFA which regulated short barreled shotguns and rifles, fully automatic weapons, and suppressors. In 1968 we had a Gun Control Act passed which essentially governed who could or could not possess firearms. In 1993 we had the Brady Law which gave us back ground checks. In 1994 we had Clinton's Assault Rifle Ban, which fortunately expired and died 10 years later. Also during our nations history we have seen states enact various laws which govern the purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, and in some cases even the types of firearms and ammunition that are legal within a city or state. We've made some recent gains, but we still must proceed gently as future successes are never guaranteed. As good stewards of the pro-gun 2nd Amendment culture, not only must we abide by laws regardless of whether we support said laws, we must constantly monitor our behavior to insure that we are acting within the defined norms of social behavior. The opposition is always looking for those who are radicals or extremists, and it is those radicals and extremists that become the stereotype that defines us all in their eyes. It is a sad but true fact, we are not undefeatable politically. The rights that we have and enjoy are still very fragile.

  5. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    3,098

    Angry I was ok with the whole Lawful right to carry...but

    Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Kwikrnu...You sir are an asshat!
    When I saw the news articles that definitely did not help the whole 2A argument because somebody decided to go overboard in the I can do that dept...When that person causes a good thing to be ruined for everyone or places that right for everyone in jeopardy that makes them an asshat.

    DO NOT JEOPARDIZE MY RIGHTS BECAUSE YOU WANT TO MAKE A GRANDSTAND PLAY YOU ARE SCREWING IT UP FOR ALL OF US WITH THE NEWS ARTICLES PAINTING FOLKS WHO CARRY IN A BAD LIGHT!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

  6. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    HEY!!!

    You are 100% right,and I apologize. I should not have said STFU

    I let emotion get the better of me, I was ticked off that almost all the posts were attacking the guy for doing something totally legal and hardly anyone stuck up for that.
    That happens. Welcome to the site.

  7. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    2,109
    Quote Originally Posted by GregAllen View Post

    *snip*

    Every 2A supporter needs to understand that law-makers hold the power deny or restrict rights. In 1934 we had the NFA which regulated short barreled shotguns and rifles, fully automatic weapons, and suppressors. In 1968 we had a Gun Control Act passed which essentially governed who could or could not possess firearms. In 1993 we had the Brady Law which gave us back ground checks. In 1994 we had Clinton's Assault Rifle Ban, which fortunately expired and died 10 years later. Also during our nations history we have seen states enact various laws which govern the purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, and in some cases even the types of firearms and ammunition that are legal within a city or state. We've made some recent gains, but we still must proceed gently as future successes are never guaranteed. As good stewards of the pro-gun 2nd Amendment culture, not only must we abide by laws regardless of whether we support said laws, we must constantly monitor our behavior to insure that we are acting within the defined norms of social behavior. The opposition is always looking for those who are radicals or extremists, and it is those radicals and extremists that become the stereotype that defines us all in their eyes. It is a sad but true fact, we are not undefeatable politically. The rights that we have and enjoy are still very fragile.

    I beg to differ with these statements.


    The Constitution of this once great nation, specifically the 2nd Amendment, forbids ANY and ALL laws that would infringe at all or have anything whatsoever to do with firearms. No amount of discussion will change this fact. The document agreed to and signed/voted on by the individual States when ratifying that Constitution means exactly what the plain written words meant when it was signed, period. It can be changed only by a Constitutional convention.

    Any interpretation of the constitution by the supreme court that goes against what the plain meaning of the words mean is wrong and not binding.

    We, as citizens have no legal or moral obligation to follow any laws that contradict what that document says. The only power those false/unconstitutional laws have is what we, the people allow them to have.

    That said, if I decide to not follow those unconstitutional laws, can I be arrested, tried, found guilty and sentenced to jail time, etc...? Yes, absolutely (sucks doesnt it?)

    Do I think we have any chance of changing abolishing any of those laws? I actually doubt it, there are too many idiots in power these days, and I do not think there is any time left to do it before the powers that be do something really stupid and start something that we all will regret. Oh, we might get a few piddly things passed/changed, but we have already conceded too much.



    (this last paragraph is not meant for the people on this forum)


    I will back up no further, I will NOT follow any more laws passed against the keeping and bearing of arms.If you come for my guns, I will kill you, your move. As Charlie Daniels said once in a song..... If you dont want any trouble, you better pass me on by........




  8. #97
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    +1. The whole thing sounds to me like a grand stand play by someone looking for a confrontation.
    Not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

  9. #98
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    I beg to differ with these statements.


    The Constitution of this once great nation, specifically the 2nd Amendment, forbids ANY and ALL laws that would infringe at all or have anything whatsoever to do with firearms. No amount of discussion will change this fact. The document agreed to and signed/voted on by the individual States when ratifying that Constitution means exactly what the plain written words meant when it was signed, period. It can be changed only by a Constitutional convention.

    Any interpretation of the constitution by the supreme court that goes against what the plain meaning of the words mean is wrong and not binding.

    We, as citizens have no legal or moral obligation to follow any laws that contradict what that document says. The only power those false/unconstitutional laws have is what we, the people allow them to have.

    That said, if I decide to not follow those unconstitutional laws, can I be arrested, tried, found guilty and sentenced to jail time, etc...? Yes, absolutely (sucks doesnt it?)

    Do I think we have any chance of changing abolishing any of those laws? I actually doubt it, there are too many idiots in power these days, and I do not think there is any time left to do it before the powers that be do something really stupid and start something that we all will regret. Oh, we might get a few piddly things passed/changed, but we have already conceded too much.



    (this last paragraph is not meant for the people on this forum)


    I will back up no further, I will NOT follow any more laws passed against the keeping and bearing of arms.If you come for my guns, I will kill you, your move. As Charlie Daniels said once in a song..... If you dont want any trouble, you better pass me on by........



    Come for my guns and I'll give them up... One bullet at a time.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    Most of the posters chastising this man make me sick to think YOU are gun-owners, I consider that YOU are the ones giving the us a bad name. HOW DARE YOU presume you have the right to tell someone else how they may exercise their rights !!!!!!!!
    It ain't enough to be 'legal' you also have to be 'responsible' as well as 'reasonable', of which, the OP was definitely not. Was it legal. Sure. Bravo for you. Was it a totally uncalled for provocation? Absolutely in every shape, form and fashion. You can squawk all you want about our constitutional rights but anti-gun crowd is a very powerful opponent and if you think they are concerned about playing fair or following the law then best wake up from the fairytale. There is more than one way accomplish the dissolution of gun ownership and they will be happy with any path to success. How much good does your gun do if you have no ammo? Wasn't that 'unconstitutional' DC gun ban in place for 30 years?

    When I read cocky post like your own or see stunts like the OP or Arizona dude pulled IMHO it leaves legal and responsible gun owners no choice but to consider you anti-gun. No different than Feinstein, Schumer, Bloomberg, Daley or the Brady Bunch doing everything they can to take away or damage the right to bear arms. The OP is going to make an absolutely wonderful poster child for the anti-gun cause and frankly has just exposed what many will consider to be yet another loophole that needs to be closed. Here's another way to look at it. One voter just scared the crap out of probably hundreds of voters, if not more. Do the math. Would you be so brash and anxious to post when you contribute to even more restrictions being placed on the right to carry?

    Proof positive that legal and stupid can co-exist in harmony.

  11. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by mwd View Post
    It ain't enough to be 'legal' you also have to be 'responsible' as well as 'reasonable', of which, the OP was definitely not. Was it legal. Sure. Bravo for you. Was it a totally uncalled for provocation? Absolutely in every shape, form and fashion. You can squawk all you want about our constitutional rights but anti-gun crowd is a very powerful opponent and if you think they are concerned about playing fair or following the law then best wake up from the fairytale. There is more than one way accomplish the dissolution of gun ownership and they will be happy with any path to success. How much good does your gun do if you have no ammo? Wasn't that 'unconstitutional' DC gun ban in place for 30 years?

    When I read cocky post like your own or see stunts like the OP or Arizona dude pulled IMHO it leaves legal and responsible gun owners no choice but to consider you anti-gun. No different than Feinstein, Schumer, Bloomberg, Daley or the Brady Bunch doing everything they can to take away or damage the right to bear arms. The OP is going to make an absolutely wonderful poster child for the anti-gun cause and frankly has just exposed what many will consider to be yet another loophole that needs to be closed. Here's another way to look at it. One voter just scared the crap out of probably hundreds of voters, if not more. Do the math. Would you be so brash and anxious to post when you contribute to even more restrictions being placed on the right to carry?

    Proof positive that legal and stupid can co-exist in harmony.

    +1. My pastor said one time that God answered 90% of our prayers when he gave us a brain. Trouble is often we do not use them. When you read about this guys actions and all the damage it may have done in regards to how many of the uneducated view guns and gun owners my first thought is "What the heck was he thinking". After further review it is obvious he wasn't.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast