Open carry incident in Nashville gets me detained 2.5 hour at gun point carried AK-47 - Page 2
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry incident in Nashville gets me detained 2.5 hour at gun point carried AK-47

All I can add is, there is good activism, and bad activism. In my opinion, this is an example of bad activism. I would say it was on the edge to a point, but painting the tip Orange went over the edge. If I were going to carry an AK pistol, I think I'd wear a suit and a tie, if for no other reason to at least add to the confusion.

First appearances can sometimes mean the difference between life and death. kwikrnu was lucky this time. And thanks to the news coverage, he will likely continue with his good luck. (I hope. ) But actions like this may cause some in the Tenn. leglislature to re-think the changes they enacted. Is this good news for lawful gun owners?

Some of you who live in Tennessee might want to contact your legislators and see if this has had any impact. I hope it didn't. But, you never can tell. I would be willing to bet that more than a few anti-gun types are getting active at trying to reverse the recent changes, and you can bet, they will use this latest incident to their advantage.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Radnor State Park is full of muddy trails, suits don't work. A good pair of goretex boots (because it had been raining), cotton blue jeans and a breathable gore-tex jacket was proper attire.

I may wear a suit next time. Since many have stated the orange tip was offensive I removed the orange paint on the tip.

Though I understand the point the OP wants to prove, I disagree with the way it was done. I feel that if the OP had put a lot more thought into this, the outcome would have been a lot different. Having paperwork for the firearm would have been a good start. An owner's manual or bill of sale identifying the firearm as a "pistol" would have sunk the argument that it was a "modified rifle". Firearms enthusiasts like ourselves know that there are AK 47 pistols (as well as AR 15 pistols) on the market. Unfortunately, the news media as well as many LEO do not.

Many people take issue with the fact that the tip of the pistol was painted orange. I'm not "offended" by it, though I do believe that it was a very poor decision. Simply having an AK-47 pistol would have been sufficient to prove your point. As a firearms trainer, I believe that any firearm pointed at me, regardless of the color of the firearm or components will be considered a hostile action and dealt with appropriately. There have been incidents with LE where BG have painted the tips, or in some cases the whole firearm a bright color in the hopes of tricking LE. It's because of this that I assume that ANY firearm pointed at me be considered "real" until I determine otherwise.

Since the TN law is new, I have no doubt that the "anti-gun" groups will use this incident to try to reverse the recent changes. I applaud your efforts in attempting to further the 2A movement, though I would appreciate it if you could put a little more thought into future efforts.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

5. Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    now you make me wonder where i should stand.

If supporting the second ammendment means supporting the rights of nut cases who disguise their weapons as toys and intentionally run around trying to get themeselves arrested to "prove a point" then perhaps i may be persuaded to question if the second ammendment goes too far!
    gasp! I think this was awesome, the PD should know their own regs...
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

If you intentionally paint your muzzle so that it appears to be an airsoft, you have no business carrying any weapon. You are simply trying to cause an incident. This does not make you a crusader, a patriot, and freedom fighter, whatever. It makes you an asshat.

7. Quote Originally Posted by sargespd View Post
    If you intentionally paint your muzzle so that it appears to be an airsoft, you have no business carrying any weapon. You are simply trying to cause an incident. This does not make you a crusader, a patriot, and freedom fighter, whatever. It makes you an asshat.
    While I disagree with you sir, I must say you made me choke on my drink from laughing.

"It makes you an asshat" quote of the year runner up.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

kwikrnu - did you contact the news station and let them know that there were many points in their story that were non-factual?? Did you ask them to correct those points in any on-going presentation of the story (website text / video)?
    Putting out the correct information would have seemed to be very important to you to make your point, but then again, by not carrying documentation with you that it is a stock pistol, maybe it's not important to you after all.

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    kwikrnu - did you contact the news station and let them know that there were many points in their story that were non-factual?? Did you ask them to correct those points in any on-going presentation of the story (website text / video)?
    Putting out the correct information would have seemed to be very important to you to make your point, but then again, by not carrying documentation with you that it is a stock pistol, maybe it's not important to you after all.
    Do I really need to carry documentation? The law states a rifle has a stock. This had no stock so It can't be a rifle.

Anyway, do you carry documentation that your pistol isn't a rifle? Do you carry documentation that your rifle isn't a SBR? Do you carry documentation that you're a citizen of the US?

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    Do I really need to carry documentation? The law states a rifle has a stock. This had no stock so It can't be a rifle.
    Anyway, do you carry documentation that your pistol isn't a rifle? Do you carry documentation that your rifle isn't a SBR? Do you carry documentation that you're a citizen of the US?
    I did not say you had to carry documentation... I am not expecting to be challenged as a citizen (but I do carry my ID), When I carry my rifle, I'm out hunting, so I expect to be asked if I have a hunting license, so I do carry that..
    By painting your "pistol" orange, you are obviously trying to draw attention (the camouflage attracts attention as well), so it would seem you are attempting to draw attention, and by such, you will be challenged for information.. carrying that information would seem reasonable under this scenario, but is not required...

I did note that you did not answer the original question about contacting the news station..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post

I would think, for most "standard" looking pistols, documentation is not necessary. However, for a pistol that looks like an AK-47, I think I'd carry something that says it's a pistol just to cut down on lost time. You spent 2.5 hours in custody, when, perhaps it might not have been that long if you'd had some sort of documentation that proved your point.

Then again, perhaps that was your intentio from the beginning. I do not know.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast