Open carry incident in Nashville gets me detained 2.5 hour at gun point carried AK-47 - Page 4
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 282

Thread: Open carry incident in Nashville gets me detained 2.5 hour at gun point carried AK-47

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sunny South Florida
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    If we all begin doing the "reasonable" thing, we may end up losing more than we already have.
    I fear that you are completely wrong.

    Since what we "have" is controlled by the government and directed by the legislature weather we gain more or lose what we "have" is NOT dependent on the opinion of gun owners, it is dependent on how legislatures VIEW gun owners.

    Off the wall actions like these give the anti's plenty of power to make the legislatures see ALL gun owners as a "gun nuts".

    If we all begin doing the reasonable thing we may gain ground.

    If you honestly believe your cache of guns and ammo hold more power in the long run than the legislatures pen, then you are sadly living in a fantasy world.

  2.   
  3. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    I fear that you are completely wrong.

    Since what we "have" is controlled by the government and directed by the legislature weather we gain more or lose what we "have" is NOT dependent on the opinion of gun owners, it is dependent on how legislatures VIEW gun owners.

    Off the wall actions like these give the anti's plenty of power to make the legislatures see ALL gun owners as a "gun nuts".

    If we all begin doing the reasonable thing we may gain ground.

    If you honestly believe your cache of guns and ammo hold more power in the long run than the legislatures pen, then you are sadly living in a fantasy world.

    As gun owners, how do know what's "reasonable" and what's not? Being such a subjective term, what may be "reasonable" to one person may be "over the top" to another. I personally would not go out with an AK pistol. I feel that the incident in TN did more to hurt gun owners than help. What we need to do as gun owners is to come up with our own guidelines as to what "reasonable" is so that people like Leonard Embody will be able to make wiser choices in the future.

    Sometimes it takes slightly "unreasonable" actions to illicit change. What we do as gun owners will be scruitnized by many, so it is imperitive that we thoroughly think through our actions BEFORE executing them.



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    As gun owners, how do know what's "reasonable" and what's not? Being such a subjective term, what may be "reasonable" to one person may be "over the top" to another. I personally would not go out with an AK pistol. I feel that the incident in TN did more to hurt gun owners than help. What we need to do as gun owners is to come up with our own guidelines as to what "reasonable" is so that people like Leonard Embody will be able to make wiser choices in the future.

    Sometimes it takes slightly "unreasonable" actions to illicit change. What we do as gun owners will be scruitnized by many, so it is imperitive that we thoroughly think through our actions BEFORE executing them.



    gf
    The unspoken rules of 2nd Amendment activism according to 2BEARARMS

    1. Conform, don't rock the boat.
    2. Don't excersize rights that may deemed unreasonable by anyone. Why? Because common sense tells you so!
    3. Carry only firearms that you may need, (consult with him as to what you may reasonably need).
    4. Obtain a working crystal ball so you may better gauge the time you may need an AK style weapon.
    5. Question others rights, and mock them for taking some sort of action- even if you've taken none.
    6. Carry documentation that your pistol, is in fact a pistol, because being detained out of officer ignorance is completely acceptable.
    7. Don't paint your firearm, in any way, even though its your firearm.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The High Country
    Posts
    1,029
    I think the authorities did a good job of apprehending another crackpot in order to ascertain his intentions or the danger he may have posed BEFORE somebody got hurt. Now if they could just get the part about airline boarding....

    Act like a whacko, get treated like a whacko. You made our point. Kudos all around.

  6. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    The unspoken rules of 2nd Amendment activism according to 2BEARARMS

    1. Conform, don't rock the boat.
    2. Don't excersize rights that may deemed unreasonable by anyone. Why? Because common sense tells you so!
    3. Carry only firearms that you may need, (consult with him as to what you may reasonably need).
    4. Obtain a working crystal ball so you may better gauge the time you may need an AK style weapon.
    5. Question others rights, and mock them for taking some sort of action- even if you've taken none.
    6. Carry documentation that your pistol, is in fact a pistol, because being detained out of officer ignorance is completely acceptable.
    7. Don't paint your firearm, in any way, even though its your firearm.
    I don't believe that is what 2BEARARMS is saying at all..

    But Open Carry a Bright Orange AK Pistol strapped over your back, while wearing camo in a city park where families are gathered to enjoy the day, is exercising your rights over many other peoples rights and was done for just that purpose.. I think the Cops stopping him EVEN IF he was totally legal to check him out was totally acceptable...
    Again.. I'm not saying he didn't have a the right, but he most certainly exercised his right to be a Jack-Ass to a high extent.. IMHO

    Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

  7. Come on, use some common sense. I believe concealed carry permit holders should be examples of rational and logical decision making and behave in ways that the "sheep" among us feel safer, not alarmed because they think we are nut jobs. I don't see how engaging in a provacative display of a firearm simply because it doesn't violate the law, is going to be helpful to supporters of the second ammendment. Unless I am at a shooting range, I keep my firearm concealed until I need it, which reduces both the risk to me and to others who might have paranoid delusions and see me as a threat.

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Suburbs of Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    While I disagree with you sir, I must say you made me choke on my drink from laughing.

    "It makes you an asshat" quote of the year runner up.
    Thanks. I appreciate a forum where we can disagree civilly. I realize that as a former cop, to some here I may be an enemy infiltrator, but I really do agree with most of what I read hear, and have always supported everyone's right to keep and bear arms. That said, I do think that reason plays a role in what all of us do, and dressing in camo and hiking through a park with a bright orange AK slung across one's chest just doesn't smack of reasonable behavior to most of the people we come across. Let me give you a hypothetical. Lets say I want to walk around a public park/playground wearing a speedo, carrying a teddy bear, a bag of lollipops, a roll of duct tape, and a NAMBLA membership pamphlet. All of these things are legal, and in the case of the literature, protected by the 1st amendment. What are the odds that I will be stopped and questioned by cops? What are the odds that I will take a beatdown from some parents? I would fight side by side with everyone else to defend our right to be armed in that park, but still think there are limits to reasonable behavior that in this case were exceeded, probably with the intent to provoke a reaction.

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658
    I'm not sure what to type here or if I should make any statement at all...Yikes….

    OK... Here goes…The orange tip is a bad idea. Making a real firearm look like a toy is a good way to send a message to law enforcement that I'll disguise my real gun in order to fool you. Makes you look like a nut job whose intent is to bend or distort the truth…

    If attention was the intent you succeeded. A bright orange gun will get attention both bad and good. Some will wonder why you have a toy gun in the park. Some will be concerned if it’s a toy or not and will call someone to further investigate.

    Wearing the camoflage, carrying the orange gun, and having the encounter recorded sounds to me like it was done to draw the attention. Mission accomplished. Not the first post on this site and others that have shown attention getters making a point.

    Stunts like this will further draw the attention of the anti-gunners.
    Now, I'm not one for drawing a conclusion about a group as a whole from one or two members of the group, but some folks will.

    If possible open carry where permitted. Do so with some common sense. Orange tipped barrels... Yea… No...
    Bring attention to the cause but do so with pride and with some common sense. If I had to choose a representative to portray the American gun owner I’ll choose the fundamentalist not the radical…

    Due to inflation that’s my .5 cents need to keep the other 1.5 cents. Waiting for the Obama Economic Stimulus Plan to kick in and saving for a Dillon reloader
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by sargespd View Post
    Thanks. I appreciate a forum where we can disagree civilly. I realize that as a former cop, to some here I may be an enemy infiltrator, but I really do agree with most of what I read hear, and have always supported everyone's right to keep and bear arms. That said, I do think that reason plays a role in what all of us do, and dressing in camo and hiking through a park with a bright orange AK slung across one's chest just doesn't smack of reasonable behavior to most of the people we come across. Let me give you a hypothetical. Lets say I want to walk around a public park/playground wearing a speedo, carrying a teddy bear, a bag of lollipops, a roll of duct tape, and a NAMBLA membership pamphlet. All of these things are legal, and in the case of the literature, protected by the 1st amendment. What are the odds that I will be stopped and questioned by cops? What are the odds that I will take a beatdown from some parents? I would fight side by side with everyone else to defend our right to be armed in that park, but still think there are limits to reasonable behavior that in this case were exceeded, probably with the intent to provoke a reaction.
    What's the duct tape for?

    With that said, as I stated earlier, as responsible gun owners, we need to come up with some guidelines to help those like Lenord Embody to make wiser decisions. For us to sit back and say "he shouldn't have done that" doesn't do much from preventing him from making similar bad decisions in the future. We as members of this board can come up with some type of guidelines and possibly post them in the "resources" section, maybe even create an area in the individual state forums as geographically I'm sure some types of activities will be more socially accepted than others. Rather than taking jabs at each other, maybe we can work together to get some type of positive outcome from this very negative incident.


    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  11. Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    I don't believe that is what 2BEARARMS is saying at all..

    But Open Carry a Bright Orange AK Pistol strapped over your back, while wearing camo in a city park where families are gathered to enjoy the day, is exercising your rights over many other peoples rights and was done for just that purpose.. I think the Cops stopping him EVEN IF he was totally legal to check him out was totally acceptable...
    Again.. I'm not saying he didn't have a the right, but he most certainly exercised his right to be a Jack-Ass to a high extent.. IMHO
    Exactly which right of others did he infringe on?
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast