Open carry incident in Nashville gets me detained 2.5 hour at gun point carried AK-47 - Page 8
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carry incident in Nashville gets me detained 2.5 hour at gun point carried AK-47

Quote Originally Posted by GregAllen View Post
    Kwikrnu's story has thoroughly convinced me that states need to enact additional legislation to allow for the prosecution of people for "being stupid." I don't think I can be even slightly tactful when commenting on this story. People like me have worked hard lobbying legislators to reduce gun restrictions on law abiding citizens. Most of you probably are unaware of the difficulties we often face when trying to convince lawmakers to enact legislation which allows for greater freedoms when a great number of our fellow citizens are in favor of increased restrictions on the possession and ownership of firearms. In many cases it takes years to convince a single lawmaker that voting for a certain piece of legislation is the right thing to do. In this case, we have a bonehead who chooses to push the limits of the law by exceeding the generally defined limits of common sense and good judgment. I am certain that when Tennessee lawmakers changed the law to allow for open and concealed carry in state parks they didn't have in mind some nut-job carrying an AK. Anyone with a shred of common sense should realize that such a controversial weapon is unnecessary for personal protection in all but the rarest of circumstances and certainly out of place on a hiking trail. It is quite possible that Kwikrnu's poor judgment may cause lawmakers to reconsider laws allowing for greater freedoms, and in some cases repeal them.
    As law abiding citizens we owe it to ourselves and others to exercise common sense and good judgment while we enjoy our liberties. Otherwise the government which already doesn't trust its citizens may take away those liberties.
    We have made some real progress in recent years, some examples of the types of state laws passed include: Castle Doctrine Protections, Protections for employees who keep weapons in their vehicles on employer property, restrictions eased or eliminated as to where weapons can be carried, as well as legislation allowing for concealed carry in some states where the right was previously denied. The poor judgment and idiotic behavior of only a few, or even one, can undo a lot of hard work and progress made.
    Your last sentence says it well!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    What we do as gun owners will be scruitnized by many, so it is imperitive that we thoroughly think through our actions BEFORE executing them.

gf
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by sargespd View Post
    Let me give you a hypothetical. Lets say I want to walk around a public park/playground wearing a speedo, carrying a teddy bear, a bag of lollipops, a roll of duct tape, and a NAMBLA membership pamphlet.
    OMG, what a visual! roflmfao!

I'm with kwikrnu on this one - I was a hiker and backpacker long before I became I hunter, but even in my pre-hunting days I knew and understood the rights of my fellow citizens to use the state forests within the bounds of the law as they saw fit. The fact that I chose to hike without a weapon did not give me the right to insist that they do the same.

I belong to several hiking organizations, and Iím amazed at the number of people who think it is illegal to carry a legal weapon on the trails in state forest in my state.

The statement of the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation is inane. Iíll bet they took an oath to uphold the US Constitution and the laws of the State of Tennessee. They should have said "The Department supports the laws of the state and the free exercise of the rights granted to its citizens there under. We made a mistake and we apologize."

6. One step forward two steps back. This isn't doing the 2nd amendment any favors.

7. Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The statement of the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation is inane. I’ll bet they took an oath to uphold the US Constitution and the laws of the State of Tennessee. They should have said "The Department supports the laws of the state and the free exercise of the rights granted to its citizens there under. We made a mistake and we apologize."
    They would likely make such a statement, on the condition that the person unlawfully detained signed a waiver stating he would not sue. That's an admission of guilt right there, and I highly doubt this man would do such a thing...Although if you're trying to be a catalyst for change and not looking for a buck than I think it would be the appropriate thing to do
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Everything is permissibleóbut not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissibleóbut not everything is constructive. 1Cor.10:23(niv)

Quote Originally Posted by GregAllen View Post
    ... exercise common sense and good judgment while enjoying your liberties.
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

I decided to search for any news articles or blogs that mentioned this situation. My concern is that the publicity generated by Kwikrnu's actions may adversely affect gun rights in the state of Tennessee. I found the following rather quickly:

AK 47 toting carry permit holder upsets Radnor State Natural Area patrons | That Is Messed Up

"While the Brentwood gun owner did not violate any law, Carlton says the incident paints carry permit holders in a bad light.

“The unfortunate side effect of this is there are good people who follow the law. There are good carry permit people not breaking the law. They are not upsetting people on their visit. And this one guy is drawing (negative) attention to people who are pretty good folks. His actions will force some scrutiny.”"

Gunman vows to continue carrying AK-47 to parks | Nashville City Paper: Nashville's Online Source for Daily News

"Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of the pro-gun Web site OpenCarry.org, likens Embody to the protester who drew public outrage last summer by openly carrying a handgun outside one of President Barack Obama’s town hall meetings."

"In an e-mail to The City Paper, Stollenwerk says: “Many people in the open carry community are not very happy with this fellow's apparent stunt to carry a ‘handgun’ that looked like a long gun slung over his shoulder, and capped with an orange tip to make it disguised as a toy — no wonder the police took an interest and investigated the guy. Had they seen a person wearing a normal handgun in a proper holster on a walk, they probably would have just said ‘hello.’”

Stollenwerk writes that Embody “slung his pistol over his back almost as if he was baiting the police to mess with him — very poor form and not helpful.”"

Man's gun at Radnor Lake State Park tests new state law | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

"John Pierce is a co-founder of OpenCarry.org, a group that seeks to normalize the open carry of "properly holstered handguns" as people go about their lives.

"On a fundamental level, I don't think he did anything wrong," Pierce said of Embody, "but politically that might not be best thing to do and it's not something we're advocating for."

Pierce said wearing camouflage also perpetuates an unhelpful stereotype."

The words and phrases that jump out at me include: "bad light", "negative attention", "some scrutiny", "not very happy", "stunt", "baiting", "politically might not be the best thing to do", and "unhelpful stereotype."

I strongly suggest Leonard Embody a.k.a. Kwikrnu cease is efforts to push the limits and create controversy. It is clearly evident that such actions are not at all beneficial towards advancing support and awareness of gun rights, and do in fact promote ill will and negative attention to a topic where positive reinforcement and good will is necessary in order to preserve relaxed gun restrictions.

Exclamation

[QUOTE=GregAllen;104981
    I strongly suggest Leonard Embody a.k.a. Kwikrnu cease is efforts to push the limits and create controversy. It is clearly evident that such actions are not at all beneficial towards advancing support and awareness of gun rights, and do in fact promote ill will and negative attention to a topic where positive reinforcement and good will is necessary in order to preserve relaxed gun restrictions.[/QUOTE]

Kwikrnu...You sir are an asshat!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Kwikrnu...You sir are an asshat!
    I prefer Fucktard.. but Asshat will do...

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast