CCW Rules You Can Live By.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Rules You Can Live By.

CCW Rules You Can Live By.

Most officers in jurisdictions where concealed carry is legal are very much aware of the laws, and are not threatened by the legal carry of firearms by citizens. Most intelligent officers know that an armed citizen is there best friend.

Having said that, you never know about the experience level of the officer that you may encounter. Therefore several rules should be followed.

1) Know the laws in the jurisdiction that you are in. Texas where I am a cop, have laws that are not the same as other states. It is your responsibility to know them! Last week a guy called me from New Jeresy to ask me about CCW laws here in Texas. He knew I was a cop, concealed carry instructor, and wanted to get the straight skinny on a couple of provisions in the law.

2) Do what you are told, it may be wrong, and you may know you are right. That is a fight that you cannot win, it will all come out in the wash. Egos have been responsible for the loss of life of more than one person, don't let it happen to you. Remember you never have the authority to resist arrest, and it can get you hurt or worst. You might be right, dead-right! You can always request that the officers supervisor is called to the scene. Besides, that why we have lawyers, one of few good uses for them!

3) Keep your hands where they can be seen. I have been stopped a number of times by local, and out of state law enforcement while carrying. Even though I am a cop, they have no idea. One such encounter, I cracked the window of the vehicle and placed my hands on the steering wheel. When the officer asked for my drivers license and insurance information I informed him that my wallet, police id, and firearm where on the same side of my body. I then asked him what he wanted me to do. Remember make it their call! If driving at night, turn on the lights inside the vehicle. If you have tinted widows, roll them down, all down!

4) This one is optional, but a wise thing to do if possible. I travel all over the country bow hunting. If I know I will be staying in or near a specific town I call ahead and speak to the chief/sheriff, or other department representative. I let them know what I will be doing, where, and ask if there is any problem with me packing. I provide my vehicle information, and contact number.

Carrying conealed, even for a cop can be an interesting endevaor, which requires common sense, and good judgement. We only have to screw-up once, it might be the last time.

Scott Williams
    Defensive Tactics/Tactical Firearms Instructor
    [url=http://www.blackdragonpersonalprotection.com]
    Last edited by blkdragon; 12-30-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: remove link

Ego and macho do get people in almost as much trouble as a few too many beers.

This is one place and time when that saying, "Relax and enjoy it" actually makes sense.

Thanks for the advice, Officer.
    The people think the Second Amendment protects their rights;
    Government sees an obstacle to be over-come.
    NRA Life since 1966

4. Thank you for the advice. I will be taking my CCW training on sunday and have been reading as much as I can in the last couple of weeks. Again, thanks for taking the time
    XD9sc

Quote Originally Posted by blkdragon View Post
    Remember you never have the authority to resist arrest
    You are quite wrong here sir, in some states you DO have the right to resist (false) arrest, up to and including using lethal force.

You are correct though, in that it can get you very hurt or worse...............

I, for one, WILL resist false arrest for certain things and not for others. Some rights/circumstances are worth it, others are not .

6. Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    You are quite wrong here sir, in some states you DO have the right to resist (false) arrest, up to and including using lethal force.

You are correct though, in that it can get you very hurt or worse...............

I, for one, WILL resist false arrest for certain things and not for others. Some rights/circumstances are worth it, others are not .

You'd better be damn sure that its a false arrest, and even so cop-killers aren't smiled at. I find it absolutely terrible that anyone here would resist arrest. Should the government order the confiscation of all arms, fine. If its some misinformed cop who wants to arrest you/detain you- just go along with it. File a complaint & a lawsuit, and be on your merry way, alive, and not a cop killer.

If ever I were unlawfully detained, or arrested I'd fully cooperate with the officer, be released/charges dismissed eventually (assuming I was in the right) and retire off the settlement offered by the agency. There is no need to resist an LEO in this circumstance.

As for some things like rolling down tinted windows- eh, up to you I wouldn't but...this Officer has given generally good advice.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    You'd better be damn sure that its a false arrest, and even so cop-killers aren't smiled at. I find it absolutely terrible that anyone here would resist arrest. Should the government order the confiscation of all arms, fine. If its some misinformed cop who wants to arrest you/detain you- just go along with it. File a complaint & a lawsuit, and be on your merry way, alive, and not a cop killer.

If ever I were unlawfully detained, or arrested I'd fully cooperate with the officer, be released/charges dismissed eventually (assuming I was in the right) and retire off the settlement offered by the agency. There is no need to resist an LEO in this circumstance.
    That bolded area in the quote is what I was talking about, most all others aren't worth it. BTW, any cop killer won't live very long,even if it was justified/self-defense, that is just the nature of things now.

We also need to consider how the courts are today, there are some items/subjects where you can no longer receive a fair trial. In those cases, I would rather take a few of them with me than have them railroad me into prison with no real chance at justice in the courts.

This government no longer fears the citizens, and the police are getting more and more into the us vs them thinking, it is not looking good.

Great advice, Scott. Thanks.

The one to me that holds the most weight is "KEEP YOU HANDS WHERE THEY CAN BE SEEN".

The rest of the advice is also excellent to understand, especially asking the officer how he wants you to proceed.

To those who took offense to my suggestions, they are just that. Do with them what you will. I have given you the benefit of my 27 plus years as a Patrolman, Undercover Narc, Detective, and firearms instructor.

For the gentelman who said that in some states you have the right to resist unlawful arrest, please give me the names of those states. You have the right to defend yourself, but defensive of one's person even when that illegal force is being conducted by a cop is not the defined as an arrest. This explains why under "color of law" an officer can be wrong and still protected under civil law when his/her actions showed the correct intent.

I am not here to teach a course on law, nor was my thread written for any other purpose than to limit the danger when being stopped by a cop. I am well aware of the bad feelings that many of you have about cops. I am not here to be an advocate for police, nor am I going to say that we get it right all the time.

It was my understanding, correct me if I am wrong because I have been wrong before, that this is a Concealed Carry forum. That being the case, I gave the best advice that I could to prevent some law abiding citizen from being shot. Bad things do happen to good people, as a cop I am sworn to stop those when I can and before they happen sounds like a good time to do it!

I have had guns pointed at me by cops, the reason I am still here is because I knew what not to do. If I can prevent one such accident then I have done my job. Being a cop is what I do for a living, it is not who I am. I am far more interesting then that. Like you, I have people I love and care for. Some of those people carry, and I want them to be safe.

As for the time when the government attempts to disarm it's citizens, I will surrender my badge on that day and will stand with all who love this country and their right to bear arms!

11. Quote Originally Posted by blkdragon View Post
    I am well aware of the bad feelings that many of you have about cops. I am not here to be an advocate for police, nor am I going to say that we get it right all the time.

As for the time when the government attempts to disarm it's citizens, I will surrender my badge on that day and will stand with all who love this country and their right to bear arms!
    I for one fully support our LEO and you for being a LEO. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to let people know what not to do, it literally could save their life.

I have no problem with cops, Especially you after your last statement.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast