The REAL Deal! WARNING: VERY Graphic! Let it burn in and learn from it! - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: The REAL Deal! WARNING: VERY Graphic! Let it burn in and learn from it!

Well said and quite correct on all points in my view.

Lot's whent wrong here.

1st. He should have gained control of the subject once he ran up on him. Use the baton, pepper spray (OC) or down right tackle the old codger with a few shots from that same baton. Easy to armchair QB I know.

It's unfortunate. This officer didn't seem to stand a chance. Lack of experience and obviously the old codger wasn't in his first gun fight. He had the predator mentality and othe LEO did not. This begs the question of what kind of ROE was present with the particular LEO dept at the time of the shooting.

A taser would have worked well in this situation at the time the subject ran up on him. Gain control.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

From what I saw and heard in this clip, it all comes down to the officer was afraid to shoot. By the time he started returning fire, it was already to late. This officer was just a 22 year old kid.

This was a sad incident. But this also reinforces my opinion, that kids shouldn't be wearing badges.
    The job of a LEO is one best done by an adult.
    As an OTR truck driver for 26 years, I have come across many kids playing cops & robbers. They think that badge is a magic shield, and everyone will respect it. They don't have the life experience, or the maturity for this type of work. There should be a minumin age of 26 or higher. I know this is no guarantee of someone being mature enough. But it's better then having kids having this much, and this type of power.
    AHH! Coffee the elixir of life!
    Coffee the elixir of life!

5. It took watching this video to help sober the thought of what it means to carry a firearm. After seeing this video I remember hearing about it from my aunt who was married to a Sheriff Deputy who died in the line of duty. I realized this must be the same video based on my reaction as I watched it. At the moment the deputy says "Put down the gun" from that moment on in my head I'm thinking "Shoot him. Shoot him. SHOOT HIM. SHOOT HIM. SHOOT HIM." and it was the exact reaction that every single veteran instructor at the Police Academy says as they sit and watch. They can't help but say it out loud.

Folks, you need to make the decission now if you carry a weapon. Will you use it. Making that decission now will save you the trouble of thinking about it when this moment comes up. You can not have the thought in the back of your mind saying "Is this justified, am I ready to pull the trigger?" That is where you are on the line that says "Beyond this point, it's too late." Decide now, will you shoot? After seeing this, I decided, I will. And if I was wrong, so be it. But it's not worth ending up like that poor officer. My God bless his family and comfort them. This tradgedy was 13 years ago, and he should never be forgotten.

If you can't pull the trigger, don't take the job. I knew a 50 cal gunner in Iraq who got the whole team killed because of the inability to do their job.

The unfortunate fact of the matter rests on the observation that we simply don't know how we will react to a given combat situation until we get one or two under our belts.

While I have had the "pleasure" of knuckling for my dust upon occasion in my youth... I DO wonder, however, if my instincts will "kick in" with the same panache as it did 45 years ago. (I tend to rather doubt it.)

For those who have never been in a "bad situation", one can only train to react and hope it kicks in if and when needed. I say "react" because if one is given time "to think about it", the choices become more limited..... i.e. crap one's pants or go blind! ()

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

I read many cases of CCWers having to shoot. I hope to learn from each instance. My favorite one from a ways back was the CCWer who shot, and that was it. He only had one round in the gun. Must have been an empty magazine but he was happy for the one in the pipe.

In reality he had shot all 8 rounds. But he swore on a stack of bibles he only remembers one shot.

Lesson learned: Your senses will play tricks on you.

Took the time to read the entire thread here. I see where it devolved into the old "death penalty" pros and cons. We got the usual, feel sorry for the poor deranged BG. The usual "excuses" NOT to have a death penalty. Ad infinitum.

I think my opinion revolves in my life long belief that man is nothing more than an animal that has been granted a brain with which said man is expected to circumvent some of his more "animalistic" tendencies. If a man's brain no longer functions properly to curtail some of his base instincts.... then that man is nothing more than an animal, a dangerous one at that.

The ultimate taboo of society, from recorded history on, is murder. If a human's contemplative reasoning degenerates to the point where murder is an "option".... it is the bound duty of a society to remove that person from polite/civil society.... permanently.

Once the human has optioned to subvert the murder taboo, for WHATEVER "reason or cause".... it must be considered that this particular human has no reguard for the society in which he dwells. I'm not certain that ANY level of "treatment" is going to replace that "lid on the id" once "blown".

In short and in consideration for the vast majority of a society, one does not treat a rabid animal, one shoots it.... if for no other reason than to prevent the spread of the disease.

Is that cold? Yeah. But if we do not require persons to conform to the mores/taboos of a society, by removing the offender from that society, if necessary, do we not just weaken the overall civility of that society?

Just sayin'.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Took the time to read the entire thread here. I see where it devolved into the old "death penalty" pros and cons. We got the usual, feel sorry for the poor deranged BG. The usual "excuses" NOT to have a death penalty. Ad infinitum.

I think my opinion revolves in my life long belief that man is nothing more than an animal that has been granted a brain with which said man is expected to circumvent some of his more "animalistic" tendencies. If a man's brain no longer functions properly to curtail some of his base instincts.... then that man is nothing more than an animal, a dangerous one at that.

The ultimate taboo of society, from recorded history on, is murder. If a human's contemplative reasoning degenerates to the point where murder is an "option".... it is the bound duty of a society to remove that person from polite/civil society.... permanently.

Once the human has optioned to subvert the murder taboo, for WHATEVER "reason or cause".... it must be considered that this particular human has no reguard for the society in which he dwells. I'm not certain that ANY level of "treatment" is going to replace that "lid on the id" once "blown".In short and in consideration for the vast majority of a society, one does not treat a rabid animal, one shoots it.... if for no other reason than to prevent the spread of the disease.

Is that cold? Yeah. But if we do not require persons to conform to the mores/taboos of a society, by removing the offender from that society, if necessary, do we not just weaken the overall civility of that society?

Just sayin'.

GG
    Friggin poetic Gunny and oh so true. God, can we clone a hundred of you? Best post I've read on this site yet! Bravo Zulu
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

IMHO, the officer told the man to "get back" about 20 times too often (yes I counted). He shouldn't have to give the command any more than twice. If there is no compliance after the command is given it's time to move up to Level 3, 4, or 5 if needed. Whatever it takes to compel compliance. He was screaming at the BG to get back while he was standing at the cab fetching his rifle. Soon as that man charged him he should have taken him down and put him in cuffs.

Not trying to play armchair quarterback but there is a lot to be learned from that video. God rest his soul and I hope his family refused to watch the video.
    Armed...not dangerous.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast