The REAL Deal! WARNING: VERY Graphic! Let it burn in and learn from it! - Page 7
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The REAL Deal! WARNING: VERY Graphic! Let it burn in and learn from it!

Wow, my first post here (been a long time lurker) and it is on this topic. I am a medically retired leo completing just short of 15 years on the street. I was also a field training officer. This video made me physically ill and brought me to tears. It was my worst nightmare as a training officer, having one of my young rooks get hurt, maimed, killed by a BG like this. I am a firm, staunch supporter of 2nd Amendment rights and our Constitution. This video, as much as it hurts, is invaluable to those of us that carry firearms to protect ourselves and our families. I would pound into my trainees that you "have to train like it's for real". Those that do martial arts or other forms of hand to hand, boxing, wrestling, etc, when you are practicing, you are doing it for real, because if you get mugged, attacked, whatever, you will have to be doing it for real then. Same with shooting. I love to go to the range and shoot, but always take some time to focus on what you are doing. Put yourself into the mindset that you are being attacked, and you have to place a shot to stop that threat. I will have this video in my head the next time I go. I will be seeing this for a while, actually. Put yourself in the officers shoes. Play mental games with yourself and get your heart pumping with adrenaline. Then practice, practice, practice. It is not a good thing to learn what your fight or flight response will do to you when you have a dirt bag throwing lead your way.
    I apologize if I sound preachy, I don't mean it to be like that. It's one of those "Sweet Jesus, I wish I would have been there with that poor kid" responses. The same response I am sure you all felt. Thank you for posing the video, as much as I hate it. You have helped me to refocus as to why I carry in the first place.
    Ok..no more soap box...now go practice!

3. Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Not a cold or heartless act?? It sure met my definition of one.

Ok, now I'm gonna be crucified. Let me state first, I am not a vet (high lottery number during Vietnam years). Second, I support veterans 110%. However (here's where I get crucified), not everyone who serves is a person of honor. I do not give you a "character pass" simply because you served. I know too many vets who were a##holes when they went in and a##holes when they came out. Did they serve their country? Yes. Do I owe them a debt of gratitude? Yes. Do I automatically assume they are a person of outstanding character? No.

PTSD? Any proof of that? Or are you all just assuming? This took place at least 20 years after we left Nam, so if he had it, wouldn't there be some evidence of it?

Ok, let me have it...
    My friend,

I was reviewing the case appeal summation in the legal reference system "lexus nexus". His psychiatrist testified to the fact that he had PTSD during his trial and it was used as ammunition to fuel his appeal.

I still stand firm in my opinion on this one guys and gals... punish him harshly and for a very long time? sure... but it seems that he truly had a "psychological episode" there and I dont like the idea of the death penalty for THIS PARTICULAR situation.

This is only one small mans opinion, Im not trying to stir anyone up or tell any of my friends here on usacarry that their opinion is wrong by any means.

KN
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    My friend,

I was reviewing the case appeal summation in the legal reference system "lexus nexus". His psychiatrist testified to the fact that he had PTSD during his trial and it was used as ammunition to fuel his appeal.

I still stand firm in my opinion on this one guys and gals... punish him harshly and for a very long time? sure... but it seems that he truly had a "psychological episode" there and I dont like the idea of the death penalty for THIS PARTICULAR situation.

This is only one small mans opinion, Im not trying to stir anyone up or tell any of my friends here on usacarry that their opinion is wrong by any means.

KN
    KN, this is not a small man's opinion; it is a man's opinion and is as valid as any. No need to apologize for it. The same for Marissa: your opinion is certainly as valid as any I would have.

A mental disorder diagnosis certainly adds fuel to his appeal. I'm not, however, entirely convinced that mental disorder gets you an automatic pass. Are not all psychopaths mentally disturbed? The guy who kidnaps, tortures, rapes and kills a little girl is surely mentally ill. Do they escape the death penalty also? Food for thought... I certainly don't have all the answers.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Red face I found my asbestos underwear! Wait for me!

Well, let me go ahead and put this out there:

I oppose the death penalty.

While I agree that there are lots of people who deserve to die for what they have done, I do not believe that justice for society will ever be served by killing someone. Sure, if someone commits a horrible act of violence against me or someone I love, then I will want them killed. However, after reading the accounts of several survivors of victims whose killers eventually got death, there seems to be little closure or satisfaction in the act.

Add to that the many, many cases of wrongfully convicted people on death row who are now being released because DNA evidence proves that it WAS NOT THEM who committed the crime. Can you imagine the guilt that you must live with if you pressed for the death of an innocent person?

From a strictly monetary standpoint, actually putting a convict to death is several times more expensive than life imprisonment.

In this particular case, it is obvious that the killer maliciously and with forethought killed the LEO. However, there are some good examples of why he might be spared the death penalty. I say take him out of society for the rest of his life.

I also believe that prisoners who wish to commit suicide be allowed to do so.

FLAME ON!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post

While I agree that there are lots of people who deserve to die for what they have done, I do not believe that justice for society will ever be served by killing someone. Sure, if someone commits a horrible act of violence against me or someone I love, then I will want them killed. However, after reading the accounts of several survivors of victims whose killers eventually got death, there seems to be little closure or satisfaction in the act.

Add to that the many, many cases of wrongfully convicted people on death row who are now being released because DNA evidence proves that it WAS NOT THEM who committed the crime. Can you imagine the guilt that you must live with if you pressed for the death of an innocent person?

From a strictly monetary standpoint, actually putting a convict to death is several times more expensive than life imprisonment.

In this particular case, it is obvious that the killer maliciously and with forethought killed the LEO. However, there are some good examples of why he might be spared the death penalty. I say take him out of society for the rest of his life.

FLAME ON!
    I could oppose the death penalty easy enough based on the DNA examples you mentioned. However, if a psychopath is guilty, without question, and especially if they brag about the deed, then off with their heads.

If they were given a life sentence, AND THEY SERVED LIFE, I would consider that. But, how many are sentenced to life and then are out cruising in society at some later date?
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

7. Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post

FLAME ON!
    Thanks for chiming in Brian.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post

FLAME ON!
    I agree with you 100% based on the reasons that you sited and a few others. I oppose the death penalty.

Alright, ya'll, in the interest of discussion, let's bring it closer to home. Most of us are parents, I think. So, and this is too horrible to even contemplate, but suppose someone abducts and kills your little girl. And then, and then, tells you how much they enjoyed it. They are unequivocally guilty; a DNA test proves it. Does that change anything? I suspect it won't from your previous posts, and I find NO fault with that. I, however, would have a REALLY hard time not killing the bastard myself.

Why not remove the scumbag from society?

I'm not addressing cost, because I don't care about the cost. This was my little girl. And I'm not addressing a "deterrent effect", either. I simply want this perve to pay with his life for what he did. So, it's "an eye for an eye", to me, I guess.

Where am I wrong, here?

Another thought: If you caught them in the act, I pretty much have no doubt, were you heeled, that you would draw your weapon and put 'em away. Right? If so, how is this different from society putting them away?

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Alright, ya'll, in the interest of discussion, let's bring it closer to home. Most of us are parents, I think. So, and this is too horrible to even contemplate, but suppose someone abducts and kills your little girl. And then, and then, tells you how much they enjoyed it. They are unequivocally guilty; a DNA test proves it. Does that change anything? I suspect it won't from your previous posts, and I find NO fault with that. I, however, would have a REALLY hard time not killing the bastard myself.

Why not remove the scumbag from society?

I'm not addressing cost, because I don't care about the cost. This was my little girl. And I'm not addressing a "deterrent effect", either. I simply want this perve to pay with his life for what he did. So, it's "an eye for an eye", to me, I guess.

Where am I wrong, here?

Another thought: If you caught them in the act, I pretty much have no doubt, were you heeled, that you would draw your weapon and put 'em away. Right? If so, how is this different from society putting them away?
    By saying, "put them away" you are saying killing the BG, correct? If so, I WOULD shoot to kill a BG who was trying to rape, kidnap or whatever. I would do it to PREVENT the act. However, had the act already occured I would NOT kill to "get even" or punish.

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa View Post
    By saying, "put them away" you are saying killing the BG, correct? If so, I WOULD shoot to kill a BG who was trying to rape, kidnap or whatever. I would do it to PREVENT the act. However, had the act already occured I would NOT kill to "get even" or punish.
    Marissa, I like good argument and discussion, so anything I post here is posted in that light.

So, I"m gonna push a bit: Suppose you enter the room, the deed is done, your weapon is drawn, and the perve is standing there bragging on it to you. Shoot 'em? Or hold 'em for LEO?

This is probably not the same as society coldly putting them to sleep, I guess, since this could be construed as a crime of passion, but again, I'm fishing here to see if I get a bite.

Are you really against the death penalty in any/all cases?

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast