Was Pulled Over For Speeding - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Was Pulled Over For Speeding

Utah recently extended Castle Doctrine to vehicles. A vehicle operator may have a gun anywhere in the vehicle, either open or concealed. A motorcycle rider may carry concealed w/o a permit until exiting the vehicle ( getting off the bike). I LOVE Utah.

I hava a permit and I often have a gun next to me on the seat of my truck. Your scenario made me think what I would do if I had the window problem. I think the best response would be to hold my CCW permit up to the window until the officer acknowledged it and then point to the location of the gun. I think most officers would calmly indicate how you should proceed from there.

3. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I am glad I live in America and not New York. In America there is no such thing as implied consent to a search.
    Many states have implied consent which sucks.Many people give up there 4th & 5th without even realizing it when the are stopped by the police.Just by opening there big mouth becomes probable cause.

ok All lets clear this up.. when the LEO Approached my truck I advised him my window motor was not funtioning so i had to open my door Forgetting my weapon was holstered in side compartment I never exited my truck until I was advised to do so. when he spotted the weapon he asked me to sep out. at which time hesaid he was going to cuff me for alls safety. I agreed after backup arrived I once again responded that I have an CCW And it was in my wallet.. giving LEO permission to retrieve it. they never searched other pockets or my truck. What I did was wrong Opening my door with holstered gun should have told him through window lesson learned. Im not expert in anyway or cliam to be The LEO acted on best interest conducting thier investigation once that was complete I was uncuffed and sent on way no punt no foul And after searching penal law there is nothing that says I cant holster my weapon there but must notify LEO Upon stop WHICH AT FIRST I DIDNT. I honestly dont feel any of my rights were stepped on Leos never went into my pockets without my permission. Im sorry for all the trouble for posting this I just wanted all to know that communication is the first line of defense which I failed to do I will not make that mistake again..

Quote Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
    If it's a conservation officer they can go in your vehicle no warrant.
    Yep sure can, but so can any other LE, and then the evidence would be suppressed in court over a 4A violation.

6. Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    As you all have stated. I was completely in the wrong I know better than to put my weapon there had an brain fart moment that nearly cost me severly. Im not upset at the Trooper he was only acting on his training and doing what he was suppose to do. But, After several times of me telling them I had my CCW Permit one of them should of stopped and, Listened. I think the most important thing was I remained calm and respectful I never raised my tone of Voice nor Did I dis-respect any of the Troopers Thanks to all of you for your support Im glad this happened because ,I became relaxed and, complaciance with Carrying my Weapon. This was an Excellent wake up call for me. I Must always remember not only too carry my weapon Properly but most, important use my BRAIN...................
    I think many of us have done things that could have really turned out badly but managed to squeak by without harm. I can't be sure but I believe the reason the officer didn't hear you was auditory exclusion, the same thing that can happen to anyone during a defensive encounter. His focus was on the weapon and wanting to go home after shift. I bet you could have given him almost any reasonable non-threatening information and he wouldn't have heard a word.

7. Quote Originally Posted by MONTANA View Post
    I can't be sure but I believe the reason the officer didn't hear you was auditory exclusion, the same thing that can happen to anyone during a defensive encounter. His focus was on the weapon and wanting to go home after shift. I bet you could have given him almost any reasonable non-threatening information and he wouldn't have heard a word.
    This is indeed quite possible. I've heard accounts of people firing shots in a self-defense situation and not remembering even hearing the shots.

We cannot have cops who are this paranoid at the sight of a gun. Yes, they face more danger on a daily basis than I do, but they chose the job, so they need to get right with it. They need to accept that the civilian is now routinely armed. If they can't deal with that...

9. Retired Grunt,

Actually a concealed permit means you GET TO conceal your pistol, not that you HAVE TO conceal your pistol. Your average Joe without a permit is allowed to carry unconcealed (in most states) under the 2nd Amendment, so receiving a concealed pistol license doesn't mean you now have less rights than someone without a license. The only exception would be if your state requires you to have the pistol away from the driver or in the trunk. In Washington State you can have the pistol anywhere in the car, concealed or not, if you have a CPL but if it's loaded it must be "on your person".

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by XDsubcompact View Post
    Retired Grunt,

Actually a concealed permit means you GET TO conceal your pistol, not that you HAVE TO conceal your pistol. Your average Joe without a permit is allowed to carry unconcealed (in most states) under the 2nd Amendment, so receiving a concealed pistol license doesn't mean you now have less rights than someone without a license. The only exception would be if your state requires you to have the pistol away from the driver or in the trunk. In Washington State you can have the pistol anywhere in the car, concealed or not, if you have a CPL but if it's loaded it must be "on your person".

Phil
    NY is not one of those unconcealed states. You need a permit just to own a pistol here. The only "exception" is during big game hunting season you can carry openly while hunting. One county in NY "allows" for open carry, but it is not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    The LEO acted on best interest conducting thier investigation once that was complete I was uncuffed and sent on way no punt no foul And after searching penal law there is nothing that says I cant holster my weapon there but must notify LEO Upon stop WHICH AT FIRST I DIDNT. I honestly dont feel any of my rights were stepped on Leos never went into my pockets without my permission. Im sorry for all the trouble for posting this I just wanted all to know that communication is the first line of defense which I failed to do I will not make that mistake again..
    You don't have to notify LEO in NY unless they ask if you are carrying a weapon or firearm.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast