Was Pulled Over For Speeding - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: Was Pulled Over For Speeding

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    We cannot have cops who are this paranoid at the sight of a gun. Yes, they face more danger on a daily basis than I do, but they chose the job, so they need to get right with it. They need to accept that the civilian is now routinely armed. If they can't deal with that...
    In NY, we have some cops who are obsessed with not seeing a firearm, and wanting to charge every person they see with a firearm with menacing. NY is for the most part a concealed only state. I have heard stories of people being charged with menacing while plinking in the woods. Because somebody saw the handgun, they were charged.

  2.   
  3. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    St. Louis County, MO
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Sights on Target View Post
    In NY, we have some cops who are obsessed with not seeing a firearm, and wanting to charge every person they see with a firearm with menacing. NY is for the most part a concealed only state. I have heard stories of people being charged with menacing while plinking in the woods. Because somebody saw the handgun, they were charged.
    How many light bulbs can educate the New Yorkers??? meaning, do they really have to have something happen to them personally to know that somewhere, in the NOW, someone is training to kill them??? What happened to 9/11? How can they ever be prepared if they see a potential terrorist in the street -- call 911? Too late! The crime has already been committed! I am glad I live in America, not in the country of New York!

    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

  4. #43
    Hey All, Let me say this. I didnt exit my Truck!! Until, I was Advised to do so By The Trooper. as soon as the door opened he spotted the weapon. I advised him I had an CCW But, All he seen or heard was WEAPON as I recall the situation I advised him 5-6 times that I had my CCW The Trooper was very nervious as was I, Thank God, he held his composure, as did I. I dont feel any of my rights were violated. I consented to retrieve my wallet and, he never searched my other pockets after they found my CCW Permit. in the end all that they advised me of was to Clearly Notify LEO Immeadiately that I was carrying. I didnt push the envolope at this point, I said Yes Sir. even though, I did advise all of them about 15 times.I Will say this, I would not want their JOB. I give all LEO'S the upmost respect for going out there everyday protecting us from all the evil in this world. As stated before it was completely my FAULT With that beiing said The New York State Troopers are an Class act. just think he spoted that weapon when I only open the truck door about half way. thats remarkable plus, he never yelled at me, he remained calm(NERVIOUS) but, calm I also held my composure which dramically helped the situation. So For, all you LEO'S that are reading this post. let me say THANK YOU for the jobs you all do. thats right, I thanked them. there is good and, bad in all of us maybe if we start sharing the good between us, the world would be a better place.

  5. #44
    Turkers Mom, Your Right New York State is Terrible Place to Live. But, We have no chioce but, to follow the rules and, there is a TON of them...... Legally we can even defend our Families in our own home .We must retreat first, if that isnt an option then maybe we could use Deadly force. But, the BG Better have an WEAPON on them. or, you just became the Bad Guy!!!!!!!!!!

  6. Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    We cannot have cops who are this paranoid at the sight of a gun. Yes, they face more danger on a daily basis than I do, but they chose the job, so they need to get right with it. They need to accept that the civilian is now routinely armed. If they can't deal with that...
    I believe LEO'S can be at different stages of maturity and experience, just like any other profession. While the potential consequences of that fact certainly presents a greater danger in law enforcement, I'm not sure it changes the fact itself. In addition, when one interacts with a LEO, it is impossible to know how his/her last contact with a civilian went down. I think that although I expect them to be at 100% all of the time, I sure don't come close to that level of performance and decision making.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Sights on Target View Post
    In NY, we have some cops who are obsessed with not seeing a firearm, and wanting to charge every person they see with a firearm with menacing. NY is for the most part a concealed only state. I have heard stories of people being charged with menacing while plinking in the woods. Because somebody saw the handgun, they were charged.
    Many cops are not familiar with guns or like them.Firearms are the number one cause of death for police officers so there's a reason many are anti-gun.Many of the cops I worked with never owned a back up or off duty gun.When they retired there service weapon was turned back in.The biggest problem with the civilians I discovered was there complacency.They forget to conceal the handgun and that's where they get jammed up.I believe many of the restrictions in New York were caused by incidents like Trophyhunter.His mistake could have caused him plenty of grief.I think proper training could solve this problem. New York is very restrictive, every county can do as they please.Something stupid like not concealing your handgun is an automatic suspension.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC
    Posts
    457

    It is LEGAL to open console/glove in SC

    Quote Originally Posted by bbarton713 View Post
    Carrying in the door console or under the seat would be big no-nos and so would opening up your glove box or center console to retrieve your license or registration while keeping a handgun in that location.
    You can both carry in your glove or console and OPEN either to retrieve specific items in presence of police:

    SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
    (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driverís license, registration, or proof of insurance;

    South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

  9. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by MONTANA View Post
    I believe LEO'S can be at different stages of maturity and experience, just like any other profession. While the potential consequences of that fact certainly presents a greater danger in law enforcement, I'm not sure it changes the fact itself. In addition, when one interacts with a LEO, it is impossible to know how his/her last contact with a civilian went down. I think that although I expect them to be at 100% all of the time, I sure don't come close to that level of performance and decision making.
    True enough as far as it goes. I would respond thus: When I"m not at 100% of my profession, it could cost people money and cost me clients (I'm a CPA). However, when LEO is "off", it could cost someone their life (which you've alluded to). But, given this fact, IMO, they need to be damn close to 100% all the time. That's the nature of the job. Furthermore, it's not too much to ask that they be knowledgeable about the laws they are sworn to uphold, just as I am expected to be knowledgeable about tax law. And I don't care how their last contact with a civilian went down; that should have no bearing on how they deal with the next citizen. Again, if they can't deal with it, then they should find another profession.

    Having said all this, I am cooperative with and supportive of, LEO, until they throw the law and the Constitution out the window and go into "Barney Fife" mode.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    True enough as far as it goes. I would respond thus: When I"m not at 100% of my profession, it could cost people money and cost me clients (I'm a CPA). However, when LEO is "off", it could cost someone their life (which you've alluded to). But, given this fact, IMO, they need to be damn close to 100% all the time. That's the nature of the job. Furthermore, it's not too much to ask that they be knowledgeable about the laws they are sworn to uphold, just as I am expected to be knowledgeable about tax law. And I don't care how their last contact with a civilian went down; that should have no bearing on how they deal with the next citizen. Again, if they can't deal with it, then they should find another profession.

    Having said all this, I am cooperative with and supportive of, LEO, until they throw the law and the Constitution out the window and go into "Barney Fife" mode.
    Certainly there are cops that really stink at their job and have a bad attitude. I have worked around law enforcement for over 30 years. First as a mental health professional dealing with emergency services and then a couple of years as a probation officer. IMO, "And I don't care how their last contact with a civilian went down; that should have no bearing on how they deal with the next citizen." just seems a little unrealistic to me. No offense intended. I'm just not sure that CPA's can relate to the job these folks do. I wonder how many LEO would enter the profession if they spent a few weeks as a "ride along" in a major city.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by MONTANA View Post
    Certainly there are cops that really stink at their job and have a bad attitude. I have worked around law enforcement for over 30 years. First as a mental health professional dealing with emergency services and then a couple of years as a probation officer. IMO, "And I don't care how their last contact with a civilian went down; that should have no bearing on how they deal with the next citizen." just seems a little unrealistic to me. No offense intended. I'm just not sure that CPA's can relate to the job these folks do. I wonder how many LEO would enter the profession if they spent a few weeks as a "ride along" in a major city.
    I'm sure you don't mean that a civilian should suffer loss of his rights because the LEO who stopped him has had a bad day. At the same time, that appears to be what is the suggestion.

    Our rights don't depend on the mood (rightly or wrongly) of a LEO.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pulled over with handgun in glove box
    By Lee Enfield in forum LEO Encounters
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 12:31 PM
  2. got pulled over the other night
    By ram1500dodge in forum LEO Encounters
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 12:24 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-04-2008, 05:23 PM
  4. Got pulled over tonight.
    By Memphis in forum LEO Encounters
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 08:18 AM
  5. Marine pulled from duty!
    By festus in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 10:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast