Was Pulled Over For Speeding - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Was Pulled Over For Speeding

Quote Originally Posted by MONTANA View Post
    Certainly there are cops that really stink at their job and have a bad attitude. I have worked around law enforcement for over 30 years. First as a mental health professional dealing with emergency services and then a couple of years as a probation officer. IMO, "And I don't care how their last contact with a civilian went down; that should have no bearing on how they deal with the next citizen." just seems a little unrealistic to me. No offense intended. I'm just not sure that CPA's can relate to the job these folks do. I wonder how many LEO would enter the profession if they spent a few weeks as a "ride along" in a major city.
    Yoo're probably right that I'm being somewhat unrealistic.

I don't know what you're impression of CPAs is but don't mistake the job I do for who I am, with all respect. I'm probably not your "typical" CPA, whatever that is. Grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in a major East Coast city, blue-collar to my core and still have callouses on my hands.

Now then, I've done ride-alongs and have several friends who are LEO, so I have some appreciation for the job. My point is that dealing with the citizen is a major part of a sometimes very stressful job, but that IS the job. And they chose it. So, they're held to a higher standard, is basically what I'm saying. A cop friend told me today that most of 'em appreciate when the sketchy ones get weeded out. It is a tough gig but we can only have so much sympathy, because rights and lives depend on LEO conduct, to a large degree.

I'm not sure there's much to disagree with what you say; just conversing, here.

3. Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Yoo're probably right that I'm being somewhat unrealistic.

I don't know what you're impression of CPAs is but don't mistake the job I do for who I am, with all respect. I'm probably not your "typical" CPA, whatever that is. Grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in a major East Coast city, blue-collar to my core and still have callouses on my hands.

Now then, I've done ride-alongs and have several friends who are LEO, so I have some appreciation for the job. My point is that dealing with the citizen is a major part of a sometimes very stressful job, but that IS the job. And they chose it. So, they're held to a higher standard, is basically what I'm saying. A cop friend told me today that most of 'em appreciate when the sketchy ones get weeded out. It is a tough gig but we can only have so much sympathy, because rights and lives depend on LEO conduct, to a large degree.

I'm not sure there's much to disagree with what you say; just conversing, here.
    Hope not much disagreement. I appreciate the opportunity to bat the topic around and think it helps others see views from different angles. You are definitely not my stereotypical version of a CPA-----probably the reason I need to stay away from stereotyping people.

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Just using your post to point something out. Know the laws in the state you travel. As you stated>>>> Concealed carry permit means "concealed" .
    Sounds simple enough, right? In Pennsylvania you can OC without any permit.
    So there you are with your weapon in plain sight tucked in your sweetest shark skin holster. So far so good. Now you decide to get into your car to find that place that makes your favorite "Funnel cakes".
    Think there's no rpoblem with that? You better have a CCP! In Pa. once you get into your car with that shark skin holster and your $2600 Ed Brown Cobra Carry, that weapon is now considered "concealed". Just something to think about.
    Sure would be nice if the 2a was the permit to carry and all state laws were more uniform.
    Again, just my $.02. What do I know?!?!?
    CapGun: Found your comment very accurate. Oegon is and open carry State. Now with that said, there are a few Cities that have laws against open carry of a loaded gun, unless you hold a CHL. The point here is, in Oregon, if you have a hand gun loaded, in the passenger area of the vehicle, no CHL, and one of the cities that do not allow a loaded hand gun in public, you will be arrested for having a loaded handgun in public. It has been determined by the Oregon Appeals Court, that the passenger area of a car is public (just reverse of PA).

Just for general info.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Engineer View Post
    CapGun: Found your comment very accurate. Oegon is and open carry State. Now with that said, there are a few Cities that have laws against open carry of a loaded gun, unless you hold a CHL. The point here is, in Oregon, if you have a hand gun loaded, in the passenger area of the vehicle, no CHL, and one of the cities that do not allow a loaded hand gun in public, you will be arrested for having a loaded handgun in public. It has been determined by the Oregon Appeals Court, that the passenger area of a car is public (just reverse of PA).

Just for general info.
    Jim
    Oregon doesn't have a preemption law where the state law takes precedence over any city/county law?
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456