Horry County, SC Traffic Ticket - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Horry County, SC Traffic Ticket

Hey ToyRunner1: What exactly does "the few times I had to interact with an LEO while carrying" mean and how would that have required notification? I am interested in how anything other than a traffic stop would initiate this discussion. We have already had posts and threads where someone actually wanted to know "if you are in a diner eating and are CC, and some LEOs enter to eat and sit down next to you, are you required to inform?"--obviously the answer is a resounding no.

I've spoken with LEO many times when CCing, both with their knowledge and without, with no problems. None of the ones who knew I was carrying cared.

We aren't required to volunteer the info, but if asked must tell. Anytime an LEO askes we are required to notify them, whether in a diner or on the street, it doesn't matter.

Hey ToyRunner1: You indicated that anytime an LEO asks you are required to show your CCWP. That sounds a little draconian but if that is the law so be it. Based on some replies on this forum, there are a few members who would probably move out of CO before they would surrender what seems to be a ridiculous infringement (for no other reason than because?). There must be more to this--some form of just cause; then again the state has given you a CC right and I guess can have limits on your freedoms to use same.

Not having a "criminal record" doesn't mean he's perfect. I know I'm going out on a limb here, but there are plenty of "bad" cops out there. Drunk driving, murder, rape, child molestation, theft, bank robbery, A&B just to name a few offenses. I'm not painting all cops with the same brush, just as they shouldn't paint all gun owners (and treat as such) as "bad" or irresponsible. So, think again about who you can REALLY trust!
    Last edited by Cobra; 03-08-2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: addition

If they ask, we are required to admit we're carrying. They can then disarm us if they choose. I know in Nebraska I am required to inform without any questioning if I am carrying whenever I encounter an LEO or other emergency worker. I like my CO law much better, but since I travel quite a bit in Nebraska, if I want to carry, I follow theirs as well.

I went to the court house yesterday afternoon but the LEO wasn't in attendance. I went in front of the judge (actually 3 of us at the same time) and he asked if we wanted a jury trial or a point reduction. I took the point and fine reduction and then joined the LONG line at the cashier down the hall to pay my debt to society.

After seeing how many people were going through that court room, and how long the line was to pay, I had no doubts that traffic stops having nothing to do with public safety and everything to do with revenue.

I read several of the local newspapers online and when you read about the crime that is rampant in our cities you wonder if their time could be better spent patrolling the trouble areas instead of looking for the dads driving home from church and going a little over the speed limit.

But, like I said, it has everything to do with revenue and nothing to do with public safety.

As a side note, there are signs prohibiting weapons and it is against state law to carry any weapons into a court house. I didn't see a single armed guard or police officer in the place and they didn't have any metal detectors when you walk in the door either.

hey bbarton713: Probably has more to do with particular towns and town governments. In Mt. Pleasant, SC, the chief is on record that traffic violations are near the bottom on his list of priorites for public safety; he believes that his officers can spend their time in better ways than 15 min at a traffic stop and a few hours in court. You and I can easily come up with a list of things that are more important than continuous traffic stops for absurd and small violations (that does not excuse the more outrageous and dangerous traffic violations that are enforced--excessive speeding, running stop lights and signs, aggressive and dangerous driving etc).I guess there are towns out there that do not feel that way and need the funds---I agree with our chief, I believe the manhours that must be devoted to one traffic stop for a 10 mph over speed limit can be better used for many other police matters, particularly with the cutbacks and attrition that our police departments face these days.

Hey kelcarry. I agree with you and your chief.

10. Quote Originally Posted by bbarton713 View Post
    I went to the court house yesterday afternoon but the LEO wasn't in attendance. I went in front of the judge (actually 3 of us at the same time) and he asked if we wanted a jury trial or a point reduction. I took the point and fine reduction and then joined the LONG line at the cashier down the hall to pay my debt to society.
    In the State of Florida, if the LEO does not show up for the court date, it is dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardey View Post
    In the State of Florida, if the LEO does not show up for the court date, it is dismissed.
    If I requested a jury trial the LEO would have to show up for that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast