Horry County, SC Traffic Ticket - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Horry County, SC Traffic Ticket

As a former LEO--it is best to always inform the officers. In NC we have to inform them. If I was stopped I have my DL and CCW in the same folder. The disarming thing as stated by the supervisor is not right. But as someone stated watch your speed.

blukni said it all. If you are CC, in addition to knowing the laws of your state regarding CC and use of your firearm, if you are in your car you would think that you would have a heightened awareness that you are carrying a firearm and obeying traffic laws is another of your more heightened responsibilities. Having ridden with LEOs (in my town you can do that anytime, any hour, when requested in advance), and seeing how vulnerable they are, particularly at night (just watch cops on TV and you can see the same thing), it makes total common sense to listen and obey and, for heavens sake, if you have a firearm in car even with a CCWP, just listen and obey--he has enough to worry about without your 2A rant, even if you are correct. Some disagree--so be it, I just shake my head at those comments. Now if it is the loose lug nut in the whitehouse stopping me or the idiots in congress stopping me--that's a different story.

Just to be clear, I didn't do anything but be courteous and obey and saved my 'rant' for his supervisor when I called him once I got back home.

And if the onus on me is to have a heightened awareness and know the state laws how much more should I be expecting from a 'professional' that went to at least one academy and should have more than a passing knowledge of not only the law but what is the right way to handle situations like that.

Sorry bb713 if my last reply came off as personal. I was just phrasing what I consider to be the "golden rule" for any and all of us when stopped by an LEO. There have been some posts on this thread that have a "2A rant" in their statements and I was thinking about those repliers when I used that comment. I apologize to you for thinking that I meant you. If anything, you were very clear about your particular circumstance and the behavior of the LEO. Bottom line though IMHO--once you are CCing, your responsibilities go way beyond having a holster, knowing where you can carry, and knowing when you can actually use the firearm---literally everything you do has a greater responsibility including driving your car.

Thanks, kelcarry, though no apology was necessary. I just wanted to make sure what happened to me, and how it was handled, was clear and not lost in the 2a rants. :)

I was stopped last year by HP. I was pulled over for not having my front plate on. I'm in Missouri, we have no duty to inform when stopped or approached, only when asked. The Trooper approached from my right side, away from traffic, asked for my DL, registration, ins, etc. Just as he started to walk away, I wanted to avoid any "issues" and informed him I was a CCW holder and was carrying. He nodded, and walked away. My CC permit is on my DL, so he would have seen it when he looked at my DL, and\or it would have popped up on his search. He came back, just gave me a waring for my plate, and said thanks for the heads up.
    His demeanor did not chasnge when I told him, and he did not act nervous or twitchy when he came back. He was an older, seasoned trooper, not young and wet behind the ears, btw.
    We also elected a new sheriff last year, and after he came in, one of his "issues" that he is going with, is that the sheriffs dept has more important things to do than worry about minor traffic violations and speeding, that that is what the Highway Patrol is for. It's about time there are some LEO's, Peace Officers, etc, that are bent on revenue, and worry about the real issues and needs of the people.
    The year before my wife got a speeding ticket in Arkansas on her way back from SC. Avoid Jonesburough, AK. She researched the town after she couldn't find anywhere on line to take care of paying the ticket. There is an investigation, lawsuits, and other things going on for the town, sheriffs, highway patrol. It has the highest speeding ticket rate, and revenue from tickets in the state, and is being looked at for speed traps, illegal and other wise.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123