Mr LEO, Do I unload it or not? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr LEO, Do I unload it or not?

1. Not all police officers are members of mensa but, we're playin in their front yard and we have to follow their rules. Its best to do nothing unless specifically ordered to.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

I would recommend that you allow them to remove the firearm and unload it themselves, theyre not completely stupid, they know how to handle a firearm.
    Worst case is that they determine a move that you make as hostile and they shoot you in the head.
    But its what ever they really want is what goes. Just cooperate.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

wolfhunter Guest
    Ltstjs,
    I've seen too many LEOs mishandle a firearm while attempting to unload or verify that it was unloaded. A LEO that insists I hand him my loaded weapon so he can unload it will either be armed with a weapon with a similar action, or we will sit and wait for his supervisor.

you definitely want to cooperate, but when I teach, you never hand someone a loaded firearm. you can do an administrative unload and clear the camber then hand off. for both your safety and theirs...but it all depends on the officer and the situation.

Ive been stopped a couple of times for speeding and had a gun with me. This was before getting my concealed permit. Both times the officer reached in and took the gun back to their car. They brought it back unloaded and one of them told me not to reload it until he was gone. I got a ticket for one of the stops and the other one let me go.

I would let them unload it, if they shoot themself in the food, its their own problem, not my own, but youre right, maybe I should ask them to get their supervisor. I carry the exact same weapon most police departments carry, Smith and Wesson M&P 40 Im confident they would know how to unload it properly. Police around my way are a bit paranoid of the citizens anyways. Alot of crime just up the street pretty much.
    Either way, Im just going to cooperate with them, and do what they say.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dude View Post
    Reading a thread from the Concealed Carry category............................

If I an stopped by you for a routine traffic violation and advise you I have a concealed weapon
    Are you required to do that by law?

As for unloading it, I'd say do what the law expressly requires-- NO MORE.

One time during a traffic-stop, a cop asks me if I'm "carrying anything illegal," and I said "I juat have my cell phone" and pointed to it; and he says "DON'T REACH FOR ANYTHING!"

Of course I WASN'T reaching-- just POINTING-- trying to be cooperative; but it wouldn't have been a problem if had just said "no."

Now, imagine if I started UNLOADING A GUN, when they simply said to hand it over? Good way to get shot, I think.

You have to understand, cops are adrenaline-junikes, so there's no point in trying to reason with them-- anything will be construed against you.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    I would let them unload it, if they shoot themself in the food, its their own problem, not my own, but youre right, maybe I should ask them to get their supervisor. I carry the exact same weapon most police departments carry, Smith and Wesson M&P 40 Im confident they would know how to unload it properly. Police around my way are a bit paranoid of the citizens anyways. Alot of crime just up the street pretty much.
    Either way, Im just going to cooperate with them, and do what they say.
    OK, what if they shoot YOU or one of your passengers?

Does an officer have a right to take your gun if you are carrying legally and have your permit? I don't think so in SC. Supervisor would be called, unless he escalates. I don't (1) hand a loaded gun to anyone under those conditions (me sitting in a car) and (2) submit to illegal search AND seizure. I would be absolutely polite and professional and try to let them know I don't think it is safe and do not agree to give it to them.

If they insist, of course I would very politely comply, then write a letter for whatever good it would do.

Don't think you'd have to worry about CHS Cty Islander. Maybe one of Big Joe boys or Mt Pleasant LEO's, they're a bit skittish at times. BUT it would be one of those as it unfolds type of reaction. I too would not be comfortable handing a LEO a loaded gun nor surrendering my piece when I'm fully licensed to carry. BUT when all else fails...........surrender, grab Andy Savage and head to the court house. Maybe even file suit against the offending Dept.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast