Mr LEO, Do I unload it or not? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mr LEO, Do I unload it or not?

1. Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    OK, what if they shoot YOU or one of your passengers?
    The cop would swear under oath that you tried to shoot him, and that he just grabbed the gun and it went off-- and 6 others would back him up, saying they were there

3. Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Does an officer have a right to take your gun if you are carrying legally and have your permit? I don't think so in SC. Supervisor would be called, unless he escalates. I don't (1) hand a loaded gun to anyone under those conditions (me sitting in a car) and (2) submit to illegal search AND seizure. I would be absolutely polite and professional and try to let them know I don't think it is safe and do not agree to give it to them.

If they insist, of course I would very politely comply, then write a letter for whatever good it would do.
    Good idea, you can't win with a cop by citing the law; if anything happens, his story will be better than yours, since they're experts at telling them.

Quote Originally Posted by BradAnderson View Post
    Good idea, you can't win with a cop by citing the law; if anything happens, his story will be better than yours, since they're experts at telling them.
    Yes you can actually, citing state statutes or state constitutional provisions that are in direct opposition to something a police officer is doing is a GOOD thing. I know this because I've done it. The key is being matter of fact and not confrontational about it.

Sure you might run into a gung ho LEO that is offended that a civilian verbally opposes them on legal ground, but only a stupid one would proceed to break those laws.

Know your state laws regarding firearms, search and seizure and know them WELL.

But above anything else, obey the officer if they will not heed your position on the matter and then tear them apart in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    I would recommend that you allow them to remove the firearm and unload it themselves, theyre not completely stupid, they know how to handle a firearm.
    Worst case is that they determine a move that you make as hostile and they shoot you in the head.
    But its what ever they really want is what goes. Just cooperate.
    You mentioned the best point before I could make a statement about it. I wouldn't do ANYTHING with the gun except GENTLY hand it to the officer. ANY other move with that gun could be misinterpreted as a "fertive movement", and you could wind up being shot by the alarmed officer.

I would ask him if I could exit the car, telling him where the gun was on my person, and ask that he/she remove the gun from me. My statement would be to the officer: " For my safety, and yours, I don't want to have my hands anywhere near that weapon during this stop. I give you full permission to remove the weapon from my body where it is stored. It is stored in my right back pocket in a pocket holster. It is a Smith & Wesson model 442, 38 special , loaded with 5 rounds of .38 Special +p ammo, in an Uncle Mike's nylon holster #3. Furthermore, I will not move until you instruct me to do so, and I will completely and fully comply with all your legal requests and commands."

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Anthony I Am: My first thought when I read your post is " why were you stopped a few times?" Not exactly the kind of experience in LEO interrractions that are something to put on your responsiblility resume.
    Hey Kelcarry- I noticed that you too have been stopped a few times.. lol

All this hassel would be avoided by simply not informing (unless you are legally required to do so)
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    All this hassel would be avoided by simply not informing (unless you are legally required to do so)
    We don't have that luxury in South Carolina. When stopped, you have to advise the officer you are carrying, and hand him/her your CWP with your driver's license, proof of insurance, and registration.

Quote Originally Posted by BradAnderson View Post
    The cop would swear under oath that you tried to shoot him, and that he just grabbed the gun and it went off-- and 6 others would back him up, saying they were there
    +1 to this statement.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

I was stopped once in KY. I had no duty to inform the police but I did anyway because it was late at night and thought that was the prudent thing to do under those conditions. The officer didn't seem to care about me having a gun just asked me what I carried. Glock of course was the answer. He smiled and said have a good night. I just love Kentucky!
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Why would anyone reach for a loaded gun when a LEO has stopped you. Keep your hands up and away and let him disarm you if he insist on you being disarmes. I'm not getting shot because he said I was reaching for my gun.
    I fear a government that fears my gun.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast