Mr LEO, Do I unload it or not? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mr LEO, Do I unload it or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dude View Post
    Yes, it is, and for several reasons.

The 'safety first' issue comes up of course. I would never think of handing a loaded firearm to anyone, even a LEO. However, if I unload it, at the LEO's direction, both of us have to be very careful, and the LEO would not be a happy camper if he got swept during the unloading.

Mr. LEO, can you chime in and shed some light on what REALLY goes down after you are notified?
    The VAST majority of the time, once someone had notified me they were carrying, I simply told them in a friendly way.."Thanks for letting me know, if you don't play with yours, I won't have to play with mine."

If they werre kosher on their license and registration, I would generally give them a verbal warning to slow down or get their tail light repaired...whatever, wish them a good night and have them be on their way.

I rarely took a gun from someone who was just a reg'lar feller or gal. Why complicate life b y any more handling of a loaded firearm than is neccessary. I figured that it was safest right where it was...in it's holster. I have never known a gun to jump up and start going off on it's own, so if it is IN it's holster, there is no way a booger hook can get on the bang switch even by accident.

If the subject appeared to be intoxicated, then I would disarm them and unload it myself.

Really, it all depends on the situation, but as I said VAST majority...keep your gun, thanks for letting me know you have it.

In my expirience, all I ever do is ask him where the weapon is and go from there.

1.If the weapon is in his person and he has a permit and it's legit then I just ask him to leave it there and I make sure I keep a constant visual of his hands at all times.

2.If it's in the vehicle and again the permit is legit then I leave it there and keep an eye on his movement.

3. Now, if the person doesn't have a permit and they have a weapon then it's a whole different story.

All officers are different. The best advise I can give you is just follow THAT officer's instructions and make sure that you keep your hands were he can see them so there's no confusion.

In PA its not required to inform a LEO i am armed, i got pulled over two times since i am carrying, i never told the officer got my ticket went on my way. I dont think its a good idea to give a LEO a loaded weapon to disarm unless ha has a good RAS to search you or the car.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    I would ask him if I could exit the car, telling him where the gun was on my person, and ask that he/she remove the gun from me. My statement would be to the officer: " For my safety, and yours, I don't want to have my hands anywhere near that weapon during this stop. I give you full permission to remove the weapon from my body where it is stored. It is stored in my right back pocket in a pocket holster. It is a Smith & Wesson model 442, 38 special , loaded with 5 rounds of .38 Special +p ammo, in an Uncle Mike's nylon holster #3. Furthermore, I will not move until you instruct me to do so, and I will completely and fully comply with all your legal requests and commands."
    My Gawd he'd die of old age before you got that speech out. If I had to turn over my weapon I'd do so holster and all and limit my conversaiton to "There's one in the pipe and the safety's off"
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dude View Post
    Reading a thread from the Concealed Carry category............................

If I an stopped by you for a routine traffic violation and advise you I have a concealed weapon, AND, you wish to see it, do you want it given to you loaded or unloaded?

Please, I am only concerned in what the LEO wishes. Thanks.
    Back to the original inquiry. I have not seen the most logical answer. Once you inform the officer that you have a concealed weapon you ask him "What do you want me to do" then you do it. Each officer will have his own way of how he wants this handled.

Also, I would be careful just how you tell him you have a gun. If you just blurt out "I have a gun" you may be in a little trouble, especially if you did not see his rookie partner approaching you on the passenger side.
    The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppose. - Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye638 View Post
    Back to the original inquiry. I have not seen the most logical answer. Once you inform the officer that you have a concealed weapon you ask him "What do you want me to do" then you do it. Each officer will have his own way of how he wants this handled.

Also, I would be careful just how you tell him you have a gun. If you just blurt out "I have a gun" you may be in a little trouble, especially if you did not see his rookie partner approaching you on the passenger side.
    You haven't seen a logical answer because there isn't one.

I just had this happend to me last night. It was an older guy and as he handed me his stuff he also gave me his CCWP. I look at it and I asked him where the weapon was. He then told me that it was in his 3 o'clock. I then told him to just keep his hand were I could see them and that was that. It was a quick one and he was on his way. All anyone has to do is listen to the officer and keep your cool and please don't get an attitude with the officer. He's just doing his job.

A little history with stops where the people are armed

Where I worked (my last agency before retirement), we were able to ID a CCW holder when we ran the DL. But most of the time the person with the gun advised us at the beginning of the stop. To lighten things for the person carrying, when they said, "I have a weapon and a permit", my usual reply was a grin as I said, "Good. So do I..........but thanks for letting me know. Where, exactly is it, without reaching for it?" Once we were past that point, it was business as usual. If I walked back to my car I asked that they not move their hands out of sight, and when I returned to them, I approached them just as I did in the first contact. Caution, always.

Once we'd completed our business, and they were as polite as I tried to be, sometimes more so, I always thanked them for their notification about the weapon, and told them they'd done a good job.

On one occasion, enroute to my wife's baby shower, one of my Highway Patrol bud's pulled us over on an open, very rural road and approached the car. I said hey, what's happening, but he was very official. He asked me if I had a weapon in the car, and when I told him I had the new HK P7 that I'd told him I was getting, he asked me (again, poker faced and professional) where it was at. I told him it was in the center console. He asked me to step out and stand in front of the car, then leaned in and opened the console and took the weapon out. He went to the hood of my car, proceeded to field strip the piece, and when he had it spread all over the hood, he chuckled and said, "Have a good time at the shower. I'll see you there." He got in his squad and drove away, laughing his butt off. I stood there grumbling while I reassembled the P7. When I got in the car my wife was laughing. She told me that when he took the gun out of the console, he winked at her and said...., "watch his face when I leave."

Quote Originally Posted by shadow106 View Post
    On one occasion, enroute to my wife's baby shower, one of my Highway Patrol bud's pulled us over on an open, very rural road and approached the car. I said hey, what's happening, but he was very official. He asked me if I had a weapon in the car, and when I told him I had the new HK P7 that I'd told him I was getting, he asked me (again, poker faced and professional) where it was at. I told him it was in the center console. He asked me to step out and stand in front of the car, then leaned in and opened the console and took the weapon out. He went to the hood of my car, proceeded to field strip the piece, and when he had it spread all over the hood, he chuckled and said, "Have a good time at the shower. I'll see you there." He got in his squad and drove away, laughing his butt off. I stood there grumbling while I reassembled the P7. When I got in the car my wife was laughing. She told me that when he took the gun out of the console, he winked at her and said...., "watch his face when I leave."
    He actually disassembled your weapon? I would have been bent friend or not
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by shadow106 View Post
    Where I worked (my last agency before retirement),
    BURN!!! LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by budone1967 View Post
    Why would anyone reach for a loaded gun when a LEO has stopped you. Keep your hands up and away and let him disarm you if he insist on you being disarmes. I'm not getting shot because he said I was reaching for my gun.
    I think this is the best answer so far. Our policy when we come across a person who is carrying is to disarm them, unload the weapon, and have a partner tuck it away somewhere. We then inform them right before we leave where it is and not to retrieve it until we're gone. We are taught if not familiar with how to unload it, to just ask for direction.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast