Mr LEO, Do I unload it or not? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mr LEO, Do I unload it or not?

I would never touch a gun even if told to unload by a LEO. If your in that situation the LEO is already on edge and I don't plan on getting shot.
    I fear a government that fears my gun.

You legally carry a weapon. You do that for protection of yourself and your loved ones. You are prepared for a worst case scenario with the "bad guys". Why do you think LEO's carry? Considering that their job is to deal with "bad guys" eight hour or more a day, five days a week, why would you NOT expect them to be cautious? You read the newspaper, watch t.v., and have determined (justifiably) that its dangerous out there. LEOs are trained and have the experience that EVERY stop they make will, statistically, put them in the gravest of danger. That's another reason they are armed, and why they have legal authority to control the situation.

Your carry permit allows you to legally carry concealed. It does NOT give you any kind of authority to refuse to obey an officer during a legal stop or any other kind of scenario. You and the LEO are on the same side, so why would anyone with any degree of common sense, turn the situation into a confrontation, particularly when the issue involves weapons?

Cops are not all rocket scientists, to be sure. Nor are the low 10% of our society with whom officers work, daily. For their own survival, they must approach EVERY encounter with the thought in mind that this could be the one that gets them killed. So, when you're stopped, give the officer your DL, etc., AND your CCW permit. They will take it from there and if you comply with directions, it'll all end safe and sound.

Louisiana law states:

when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:

1.Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person;

2.Submit to a pat down;

3.Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456