LEO encounter while PGR mission - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LEO encounter while PGR mission

I personaly think that you Mr Austin did nothing wrong & do derserve an apology from uh blah blah 2 something . I choose to block people out that jump to conclucions without asking questions first . Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    But, if they stop and engage me in conversation then I believe that I am required to inform. Then again this is just my interpretation of a law, but I feel that it is better to err on the side of caution.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun ...during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop.
    You are of course free to interpret the law however you wish, but i think you are overlooking a key phrase, that i have highlighted.

Thumbs up Salute!

Austin, I feel that you did what you were suppose to do according to the way I read OK law. If you have your OK.S.D.A.C.F.P. Then you have to inform.

I cannot carry in my state (NC) as a funeral is prohibited area.

It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any public place owned or under the control of the state or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any firearm.

Also I would like to thank you for what you do to give what aid you can to a grieving family that has lost a son or daughter to the fight. I salute you.
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by langoley View Post
    My only thought to add here is in the definition of "contact".As in the law says when "contacted by law enforcement".I don't know about you but to me that doesn't mean when a LEO comes up to "shoot the bull" with me.To me that means I am being QUESTIONED about something to do with a CRIME he thinks I either 1,have commited,or 2,I have knewledge of.Personally,I don't feel like if he just wants to "talk about the weather" he needs to know I am carrying,sorry but that is how I interpret the law.

X1 I agree 100% here.I wouldnt have given the officer the card.
    WOODY!
    Please Bless and Support our Troops.
    Dont Blink, 100 Years Goes Faster Than You Think...

JSDinTexas Guest
    "utilizing my CCW ..."

Not enough info here to comment, but also as a newbie to the forum and to carry, I am wondering why the whole thing came up in the first place?
    I NEVER tell anyone my business except when legally required to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    "utilizing my CCW ..."

Not enough info here to comment, but also as a newbie to the forum and to carry, I am wondering why the whole thing came up in the first place?
    I NEVER tell anyone my business except when legally required to do so.
    Please refer to post #19, I believe that this has all been cleared up a few months ago. If you still have a genuinely hard time undertanding, please PM me and we can attempt to clear things up for you.

In reference to Post number 32 from billwot:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions "

This states "when the person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer. It does not state when contacted officially

"or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop."

Now here it states the official contact, was that referring to just federal officers or is that all officers? Ill leave that up to the courts and the attorneys. We know how they like word games.

"No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a concealed handgun licensee when no handgun is in the personís possession or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger. Any violation of the provisions of this subsection shall, upon conviction, be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed ninety (90) days, or by both such fine and imprisonment. In addition to any criminal prosecution for a violation of the provisions of this subsection, the licensee shall be subject to a six-month suspension of the license and an administrative fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00), upon a hearing and determination by the Bureau that the person is in violation of the provisions of this subsection"

Ok, now what I am trying to say here is that I am going err on the side of caution. I would rather be spending my time and money taking care of my family then arguing with some attorney over translations of the law.

The bottom line is this, everyone is going to do what they do. I am going to continue serving the people of my state, honoring myself and my family, and paying respect to our fallen heros by participating in PGR missions. I will not seek out officers to show my license too, but if I happen to come into contact with a fellow LEO (while carrying concealed) then I will respect that officer enough to let them know by handing them the card.
    -Austin

I had that thought process as well. He never would have known if I hadnt told him.

I made the decision that if he came up to me and stopped and engaged us in conversation (there was a small group of 3 of us), then I would let him know. I imagined things such that I would just hand it to him and he would then know and we could continue the conversation without a hitch and I would have fulfilled my obligation. If it had been the supervisor I am sure that there would have never been an issue.

What is anyone elses thoughts? Does contacted by LEO meen a stop and chat as well or does it meen an official action?
    Austin, it was probably not the best move with you telling officer Fife, about haveing your permit/weapon on you, and while not admiting to doing anything not leagle, my wife and I carry 100%, of the time and NOBODY knows we carry unless we want them to, .............bottum line here is keep your weapon concealed, and shut the hell up about your permit/ weapon and avoid any resultant problems, ..........while you were in the leagle right that situation could have went badly all the way around

Ooh so true it is.

The difference between doing the right thing and doing things right.

Honestly if I had it to do over I probably wouldnt have said anything, much the same for creating this thread.
    -Austin

If the officer hadnt acted all weird about everything I could have put him at ease by showing him my badge. I am a Sergeant for the State of Oklahoma Department of Corrections. But whats the fun in that right?
    Now, that's funny. Been there once with an LEO years ago who decided to exceed his authority in a situation and I said something to him, so he decided to threaten to arrest me, beat me with his flashlight, etc. and making himself into an idiot... not realizing who we were. I was laughing, pulled my badge out of my pocket and tossed it to him and said if he had a complaint he could call my boss. A real jerk.

What's not funny, is I live in a small town not far from a large city, and we had an officer here who was so jittery, etc.... and one night said he would "shoot" anyone he saw had a gun. We asked what about if they have a license, he said he didn't care... he would shoot anyone he saw with a gun. We asked if he realized anyone can carry open legally on their property , and he still said he didn't care and that if he saw them with a gun he would shoot them ..... he is always jittery. We asked for clarification ... you mean if they point it at you ? He said "no... just if they had one at all " that he would shoot them. We suggested if he were that afraid of things maybe he should find a new job and career. His partner made a report of it, and he's no longer on the force here.

Most, are pretty good on things around here. This town is small and I think 1/2 of the people here are tied to law enforcement in one way or another..... FBI, US Marshalls, Air Marshalls, 1 - CIA, Corrections, several officers from the nearby larger city, county Deputies, Hwy Patol, State Bureau of Investigation and on and on . That's why the comments from the one officer were so dumb, 1/2 the population in this town is carrying guns.

Most are quite comfortable with anyone who has a CC license, because they figure they are a law-abiding citizen and that's not likely to change.... and as many say, if they are ever in trouble... they hope some of them are around at the time.

11. I don't see any indication of displaying a firearm in the post. Providing the CCW permit seems to be required and was done in a civil manner. Not identifying himself as a DOC officer would be a personal preference but an option should the local LEO get all shook up. My cousin is a DOC parole/probation officer and I'm sure he would never reveal such info w/o due cause.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast