When to tell a LEO you are packing? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When to tell a LEO you are packing?

to all,

this weekend, returning from our "place in the mountains", i was stopped by the VASP at a "DWI checkpoint".

as i'm a southpaw & my wallet is right next to my Sig-Sauer P6, i said to the trooper, "I'm armed & am wearing my pistol".

he asked to see my DL/permit (which i produced) & he PROMPTLY "waved me through" the checkpoint.

yours, TN46

What a great experience! An LEO with a calm demeanor and obvious common sense - we need more of them!

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    to all,

this weekend, returning from our "place in the mountains", i was stopped by the VASP at a "DWI checkpoint".

as i'm a southpaw & my wallet is right next to my Sig-Sauer P6, i said to the trooper, "I'm armed & am wearing my pistol".

he asked to see my DL/permit (which i produced) & he PROMPTLY "waved me through" the checkpoint.

yours, TN46
    Virginia LEOs seem to be very good with CCW issues as long as you are up front with them. (especially since your D/L is linked) It isn't the 1st time we've heard that they are ok with it.
    I guess they figured out that legal, law abiding, responsible & honest CC gun owners aren't going to shoot them.

RE: My state isn't a shall inform state and I feel no need to offer up my concealment unless requested or mandated by law ..." I'd like to see a list of states which mandate voluntary disclosure - I agree with you - no voluntary disclosure - athough I'd answer a LEO if specifically asked. Some LEOs say that disclosure on a simple traffic stop complicates everything.

Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    ...mandate voluntary disclosure...
    Not to pick on you, but if it is mandatory, it is not voluntary. The two terms are mutually exclusive.

My bad - thanks!

8. During a stop by the Florida Highway Patrol my concealed carry status came up. The officer became mildly agitated and threatened me with a felony violation if I did not make my CC status known to an officer who stopped my car before any other transaction took place. I have researched the Florida statute and have been unable to find a requirement to notify when carrying, however, the FHP officer seemed convinced that it is required. By the way, I did not argue with him, but apologized and went on my way. I don't like the face down in the grass or handcuff pose.

Be careful, be polite and don't get pulled over.

Quote Originally Posted by Captdude View Post
    During a stop by the Florida Highway Patrol my concealed carry status came up. The officer became mildly agitated and threatened me with a felony violation if I did not make my CC status known to an officer who stopped my car before any other transaction took place. I have researched the Florida statute and have been unable to find a requirement to notify when carrying, however, the FHP officer seemed convinced that it is required. By the way, I did not argue with him, but apologized and went on my way. I don't like the face down in the grass or handcuff pose.

Be careful, be polite and don't get pulled over.
    Couldn't find it because it's not there. Some cops either make the laws fit their beliefs or they "know" the law as it was told to them by someone else....rather than researching it themselves.

Here in VA the state police and many local LEO have the data in their cars when they run your plate or name it comes up with whether you are licensed to carry concealed. VA doesn't require a license for open carry.
    Pain make man think. Thinking make man wise.
    Wisdom make life endurable.
    ......Sakini......

As far as I know the individual on the stop should notify the LEO that you are armed as soon as possible during the stop.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast