Out of Control LEO"S - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Out of Control LEO"S

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    ...a predilection for bullying physical types to become LEOs, a feeling of isolation from general society...
    Probably more of 'getting what you pay for'. In other words, most agencies hire very young, high school educated men...

This rule is good in any country and ours is no different.
    lol, you have no idea

...but they do live by a whole different philosophy and set of rules.
    If that's remotely true in any small manner then it's just a failure by that agency's administration and/or the people in your community to act on those things. What's really telling is that you and other posters in this thread seem to actually believe all people in Law Enforcement might all possibly be just like what you describe, and that would be an incredibly small-minded thing to think. I you guys are smarter than that.

I worked a decade servicing police communications equipment and was constantly in their environment, except of course in squads. The State Police, from state to state, I found generally more professional, citizen-respectful and a bit smarter than metro or county police. Your comment: "I found a very closed society, rife with bullies, corruption and a general disregard for private citizens,." is accurate. LSUfan71 probably brought apples for the teacher on a regular basis.
    Last edited by antietam; 02-20-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by LSUfan71 View Post
    You people have some unhealthy views of society in general.
    Huhh?!? Please explain further. How is advocating citizen review boards "having an unhealthy view of society in general"?

Quote Originally Posted by LSUfan71 View Post
    I'm glad I stopped here before I wasted anymore time on this site.
    I haven't wasted any time on this site. A lot of people thank me for the information and insight that I provide here. Sit back and learn something. Use the search function, have a cup of coffee, and shine your CCW badge while reading up on a few more threads.

I feel I need to temper my remarks somewhat. I do not hate the police. I respect the job they do and have a sympathy for the LEOs themselves. But I think we need to realize that they are molded by their environment, just as we all are. After trying the LE environment, I went into school teaching (no apples!) and ended up as a a DYD (Department of Youth Development) or reform school teacher for four years and a "Behavior class" or Therapeutic Intervention Program (TIP) teacher for five years. I was trapped in the same "modification" environment as LEOs in that I worked only with disturbed children, mostly Juvenile Offenders. This was my curse for having served 30 years AD in the USMC!

Let us take a scenario where you and I are sitting outside a 7-11 at night and a young man walked out of the store with a bag, You might wonder if he bought sodas or groceries while I would be wondering whether he used a " nine" or a Raven .25 to hold up the place. I reached the point where all teenagers were "bad" to me.

How we perceive the world depends a lot on our everyday encounters with people. If the preponderance of our experience is with law abiding working people, we tend to be tolerant. If our experience is with law breakers and violent people, we tend to be reactive.

The average policeman tends to be physically aggressive and tribal by nature. These are good things, they make it possible for him to do his job. But, if you place him an environment where most people he deals with are mean, amoral and have no respect for order, he becomes even more aggressive and tribal. It just can't be helped, it is reality.

I don't condemn the LEOs but I do recognize that the best thing I can do is avoid any kind of possible adversarial situation with them and avoid conflict. If I don't like what they do, it is best to keep your mouth shut. Their superiors went through the same crucible they did and the "Law of the Pack" is a legitimate survival mechanism for them.

I lived in Chicago (stationed at NAS Glenview) for five years. The Chicago Police are some of the best trained and most efficient in the world. They are also among the most close knit and unforgiving in the world. Mess with one Chicago cop and you have all of them as an enemy. Is it wrong? No, it is how they survive.

Bottom line? Snuff it up and be a big boy. If you don't like what a cop is doing, report it anonymously. But stay out of it. Let them do their job. There is always more to the story than what we see.

That post gets a gold star in my book, wjh2657.

3X PM

I have had little or no problems with LEO, state, local, federal, all groups have bad apples we just need to throw the bad apples out, in all the times I have delt with LEO except one, he just did not want to be there (already posted), encounters have been positive.

I lived in Chicago (stationed at NAS Glenview) for five years. The Chicago Police are some of the best trained and most efficient in the world. They are also among the most close knit and unforgiving in the world. Mess with one Chicago cop and you have all of them as an enemy. Is it wrong? No, it is how they survive.
    It's not just "wrong", it's CRIMINAL.

It's certainly how the Chicago Police Department treated Karolyna Obrycka. How DARE her report Officer Anthony Abbate for trying to stomp her to death.

Chicago cops were FAR more incensed at the video of her savage beating being shown "too much" than they EVER were of the beating itself.

But then they've got no problem with cops who hit women. Back in '96 when Illinois was working on its own version of the Lautenberg Amendment, the Chicago Lodge of the FOP went on National Public Radio to demand that those convicted of domestic abuse be allowed to own, possess and carry firearms... but only if they were cops. I heard that story. I didn't know if I was listening to representatives of a big city police department or the Taliban. In fact, it was the second most bizarre story I've EVER heard on NPR. Only their interview of the "roving ambassador" of the Taliban before 9/11 was more disturbing. The FOP spokespeople were at various turns, threatening, misogynistic, contemptuous of the public, and just downright creepy. I was so shocked and offended that I recently asked for and received a transcript to provide to those who dishonestly claim it didn't happen.

Bottom line? Snuff it up and be a big boy. If you don't like what a cop is doing, report it anonymously. But stay out of it. Let them do their job. There is always more to the story than what we see.
    Yeah, and you'll end up with a police department like Chicago's, corrupt, violent and out of control. Advice like yours is the reason why a home invasion, burglary and kidnapping ring was able to operate INSIDE the Chicago Police Department for YEARS... and in its most "elite" unit (SOS) no less.

There will always be violent criminals. That's no reason for me to pay some of their salaries with my tax dollars.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    If you are standing on my property your rights do not exist, per sign and warning anyone entering property anyone assumes all criminal, civil, moral responsibility for what befalls them. Beside dog can't read and will not respond to nice doggy.
    My Doberman can make it from my steps to the fence in two seconds. Not many BGs can run that fast!

I found good and bad in all recent replys One thing stands true. This Officer was very young when he was hired Im sure that after 10 years serving it made him grow up fast. But No matter how old ar young. You must do the right thing at all times. Lead by example. If you want poeple to listen to you or even better respect you then treat them with respect especially your neighbors He made several grave mistakes. and I have no reason to try to hurt this guy But what he did was wrong and he took it to an level that was very uncomfortable for myself and to call his boss ,I would be waisting my time and breath they all stick together. But sticking together is excellent its an brotherhood Just like the USMC,ARMY,NAVY,AIRFORCE I admire that. So maybe his brothers in arms talked to him and helped him Understand....sometimes as citizens we just have to bite the bullet, because you wont win if you try beat them. lets be honest it will come down to LEO VS CITIZEN who do you really think would win that Situation????????????
    Last edited by trophyhunter; 03-16-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    NRA,NYCCW,PALTCF,FLCCW,ARCCW,DCM,NYSRPA,SCOPE

[QUOTE=trophyhunter;188967] very uncomfortable for myself and to call his boss ,I would be waisting my time and breath they all stick together. But sticking together is excellent its an brotherhood Just like the USMC,ARMY,NAVY,AIRFORCE I admire that. So maybe his brothers in arms talked to him and helped him Understand....sometimes as citizens we just have to bite the bullet, because you wont win if you try beat them. lets be honest it will come down to LEO VS CITIZEN who do you really think would win that Situation????????????[/QUOTE]

If such be the case, it's time to replace whole departments. Let's be honest, we don't need, want, and can not tolerate such police departments.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast