Plain cloths LEO lucky he didn't get shot by motorcyclist - Page 8
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 127

Thread: Plain cloths LEO lucky he didn't get shot by motorcyclist

  1. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    i am not gonna debate whether or not the officers actions were improper. However, to arrest the individual with a charge of illegal wiretap is completely bogus. You can video and voice record anyone you want in a public setting without their permission. The reason behind that is because there is no expectation of privacy regarding what you say or how you act out in the open.

    The LEO can get in a lot of trouble for filing a charge that he knows is trumped up. And with the way the ACLU has been rolling lately, the LEO will NOT walk away unscathed!
    The issue is there is a Maryland Law that if someone asks you to NOT record, then you have to stop (which the cop did ask).. By the motorcyclist placing the video on YouTube, they are saying that he did not stop.. That is how they get to the Wire Tap charges and it was not the cop that brought up those charges..

    Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

  2.   
  3. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    The issue is there is a Maryland Law that if someone asks you to NOT record, then you have to stop (which the cop did ask).. By the motorcyclist placing the video on YouTube, they are saying that he did not stop.. That is how they get to the Wire Tap charges and it was not the cop that brought up those charges..
    If it wasn't brought by the officer then I stand corrected. However, the Maryland law will be deemed unconstitutional which is why the ACLU got involved. I witnessed a similar incident on a college campus in NYC. A student was standing in a group of people who were talking with the college president. The student's tape recorder, which was in his front shirt pocket, stopped as the tape ended. The president lost her **** and ordered the director of public safety to arrest the student. The director of public safety was a retired NYPD detective, and advised the president that there was nothing they could do because she made the statements in public and there was no right to privacy. Furthermore, the person doesn't have to even let you know that they are taping you. She was probably upset that some of her off color comments were recorded. Since hey were on a public, "open" campus, she was SOL.

    I will have to research that Maryland law. More and more states are getting caught up in creating and enforcing laws that are unconstitutional.

  4. In my opinion, the OD cop shoulda called 911 and reported it. No one except the dumb-ass bikers life was in danger. Not like it's a rape or robbery-in-progress or something. Basically this cop jumps out with his gun over a simple traffic infraction. To me this is more in the category of "I'm a tough cop with a badge and a gun" category.

    I'm a biker and I can tell you, if there was a wreck no one but the idiot on the scooter woulda got splattered. Car Vs. bike, the car always wins. Not a draw-your-gun situation in my opinion.

    Not sure if FLA is a one party consent state or an all party consent state. Cops are getting more and more intimidated by us "normal folk" recording becasue so many of them are dirty or like to be punks. Here in NC the highway patrol is so dirty the governor is trying to get the law amended. Currently, no one but a member of the NCHP can oversee the organization by law and there is a bill to get that rescinded. The guv'ner wants to appoint an outside, independent group to oversee them because they can't be trusted to police their own.

    If some unmarked car chased me and cut me off like that, then some stranger jumpd out like this guy did with a gun, that would have been it. If he's going to play dirty harry he should at least get some red/blue lights in the grill and back dash. If he had them I didn't see them in the video. All I saw was someone I didn't know in a road rage incident drawing a gun on me. He didn't identify himself until WAY AFTER he had his gun in hand. I believe this cop needs some additional training.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    So Unfeathered Might, you would have drawn on the guy standing 3 feet in front of you, weapon already in hand?



    In la-la land, no. But in this situation, anyone with SA would've already pegged the unidentified cop as a threat. If I'm going down the highway and some road-rage stranger is cutting me off, and acting hostile I'm ALREADY going to have a mental state to draw. I'm not waiting until four seconds after he's out of the car with a drawn gun to decide if I might want to draw or not. As you state, it is too late by then.

    By the time I stop the bike I'm already going to have my hand on the gun. This is why we have LIGHTS in unmarked police cars. Because I don't have the ability to check and see if that unidentified guy weaving, riding my bumper and screaming at me is a cop or a crazed nut.

    Yeah, the idiot deserves his traffic tickets, and the cop was outta line in the way he handled it. If there had been a shooting, no matter who ended up dead, the cop would've been wrong because he escalated the situation from a traffic violation to a deadly threat situation by 1) Not being in a marked car 2) Not identifying himself until afterwards 3) Not being in uniform 4) Drawing his gun.

    Like I previously stated, if he's gonna play dirty harry he should spend 100 bucks and get some lights in the front and back dash. When I was LEO in Houston I had strobes in the back dash and front dash. Total cost $250 and that was back in '95 when they were EXPENSIVE.

  6. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The High Country
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    No one except the dumb-ass bikers life was in danger.
    What about the umpteen people in the ten-car pileup he was liable to cause driving like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    Not like it's a rape or robbery-in-progress or something.
    No, just a little vehicular manslaughter is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    Basically this cop jumps out with his gun over a simple traffic infraction.
    No, it was reckless driving, and reckless endangerment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    To me this is more in the category of "I'm a tough cop with a badge and a gun" category.
    No, it's a good cop doing his job dealing with dumbasses on the road risking other people's lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    I'm a biker and I can tell you, if there was a wreck no one but the idiot on the scooter woulda got splattered. Car Vs. bike, the car always wins.
    I like your predictions. Got a hot stock tip for me?

    The title of this thread should have been "Dumb-arsed Motorcyclist Lucky He Didn't Get Shot by Off-Duty Cop."

  7. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe Area, New Mexico
    Posts
    3,487
    C&L--When it's laid out with such Logic as you post. It's BRILLANT, just BRILLANT! Did somebody say "Stock Pick"?

    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

  8. oh well.



    What about the umpteen people in the ten-car pileup he was liable to cause driving like that?



    and it might start raining virgins outta the sky. But not likely. could do this, might do that.
    what about the umpteen dead people the dumbass cop was liable to cause acting like dirty harry waving a gun around?
    What about the umpteen people in the ten-car pileup the dumbass cop was liable to cause driving like that without lights siren?

    go ahead punk biker....make my day.

    Sometimes you gotta ask yourself, Do you feel lucky.....punk?



    me thinks it was basically a bravado cop with hurt feelings cause some biker cut him off in traffic. Was there not a marked unit more than a few minutes away?



    My opinion.....if you don't like then you can smoke my you-know-what, C&L.
    There's your stock tip.

  9. #78
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The High Country
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    what about the umpteen dead people the dumbass cop was liable to cause acting like dirty harry waving a gun around?
    Hmmm, lesseee, laws of probability... maniac biker in heavy traffic vs. trained LEO with a handgun. Likelihood of dead people resulting. Hmmm, that's a tough one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    My opinion.....if you don't like then you can smoke my you-know-what, C&L.
    There's your stock tip.
    You're just one of the hard core extremeists around here with your opinion so far up your butt you can't see the light of day anymore.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    You're just one of the hard core extremeists around here with your opinion so far up your butt you can't see the light of day anymore.


    Does this mean we're not going to swap spit in the shower anymore?

  11. #80
    This video didn't show either of these folks in the best light. Videos are what they are, a graphic recording of a slice of time. Selective editing, even if it is choosing when to turn on and off the camera makes the record biased. Even incidents from beginning to end, without commercial interruption are limited to the point of view of the maker. There is always more to the story. If the states attorney is too incompetent to manage this evidence, then there is a problem. The fact that there are eavesdropping charges being considered, is a clear indication that there is a big problem with the case and the states attorney. The officer, maybe not so much. He just gets to introduce the players to the system.

    If I recall correctly, the original intent of the statute to make it a crime to photograph police officers in the performance of their duty came about when a certain motorcycle gang was found to have made albums identifying officers, their addresses and their personal information, including family information. Clearly, the intent was not to send them birthday greetings. However, the unintended consequences of this feel good law are now on display.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ex-wife, friend claim self-defense after man shot three times
    By RRGlock23 in forum Deadly Force and The Law
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2010, 09:06 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 03:50 AM
  3. Thoughts on gun control
    By magicman007 in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 11:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast