Plain cloths LEO lucky he didn't get shot by motorcyclist - Page 9
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Plain cloths LEO lucky he didn't get shot by motorcyclist

Back in the 1970s I grew up in Louisiana near New Orleans. There was a spate of fake cops in fake cop cars pulling folks over in lonely areas of I-10. The local LEOs said it was some gang that had purchased surplus retired police cars. These guys added the markings and lights back to the cars. Uniforms, badges, and personal gear was purchased. Once they had you out of the car, they mugged you and drove off with your car. It was 2 fake cops per fake cop car.

After this hit the news police reported being greeted by armed drivers when they approached vehicles. Thankfully all of the encounters ended well. Folks kept their heads and asked for the officer's department ID cards to verify. After they checked the cards out, their pieces were put away.

It took the cops months to catch those guys. And more time for everyone to quit being jumpy.
    [The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. --- James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

Interesting story, from the oposite end of the spectrum, I suppose: Imposters in uniform with marked cars, pulling over innocent motorists vs. plain clothes unmarked LEO pulling over reckless driver.

Quite the contrast there.

4. Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Since you are unfeatheredmits lackey, I will ask you to:
    Look at the lower video clip. The last frame. What is that? Looks like a police prowler to me.
    I think the mtorcycle moron knew he had at least one, probably two police cars on his tail.
    Drawing his pistol would probably got him shot dead.
    33 posts on this thread before this was mentioned. Yes that was a marked unit behind this idiot on the bike. That was also a uniformed officer closing the door of the marked unit behind the idiot on the bike.

Is it that hard to imagine the off duty guy calling in the speeding biker on a cell phone to Hq. and Hq. dispatching a marked unit which actually pulled over the biker assisted by the off duty guy?

As far as drawing down on the off duty guy as he approached; are you kidding??? Somebody has been watching way too much TV to consider drawing on someone who already has a weapon out in the low ready position.

Edited to add: Just to be clear my remarks are not aimed at icemanmpls but at the armchair commando's. iicemanmpls was the only one in the first 33 posts to have bothered to look at the clips in their entirety and take note of the marked unit on scene at the stop. Too many people throw comments out while only knowing half the story and don't bother to take the time to find out the full story.

Quote Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
    playing devil's advocate here, this is what my mindset tells me:

Off duty cop sees dumbass doing wheelies and whatnot at 100mph, so training clicks in. There's probably a point where he goes on auto pilot and isn't even thinking about the fact that he's not in uniform, so he does what he'd do were he on duty. I don't fault him for doing anything but not identifying himself properly. And he actually does: He never directly points the gun at the doofus on the bike, and he says "Get off the motorcycle! Get off the motorcycle! State Police!" Pretty cut and dried to me. I guess the question is: unmarked patrol car or POV?

Now, as far as the video, and the guy posting it to youtube . . . well, I guess the case against him is cut and dried. If I'm going to video myself doing 100 MPH and wheelying down the freeway, I'm for damn sure not going to post it to youtube *after* I get cited!
    I'm with you! As far as posting on youtube...that's his perogative....it also seals the case against him in that he actually admits guilt by taping himself driving wrecklessly! He's a dumb ass through and through. Fortunately there was a cop to put an end to his antics before he injured or killed another motorist....much less himself. Friggin' knucklehead!

What's the legal phrase LEOs and attorneys use when you are in public areas? No expectation of privacy.
    [The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. --- James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

Just watched the video. Was the trooper off duty? Either way, I don't think I would have conducted a motor vehicle stop of that jackass on the bike. Advise a marked unit of the erractic driver and standby and back the marked trooper on the stop. Just an opinion.

And as far as the trooper identifying himself, he did. Only thing i couldnt see was any type of off duty badge

Quote Originally Posted by pd6468 View Post
    Advise a marked unit of the erractic driver and standby...
    Much crime and stupidity occurs in fleeting moments. That's why for example "fleeing" felons may be treated a little differently than ordinary "walking away" felons. Standing by is not an option in cases of a direct threat to public safety. Otherwise, alot of dumbasses like that would simply get away.

Wow it's great that you support the police offices. But I have a problem with them acting like they are above the law. This Guy gets out of his car with his hand on his gun then pulls it out shouting get off the bike. Now I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but what proof is given that the guy is an actual police office. From what I could see there was no proof to his claim. Show your badge before pulling your weapon. I was brought up to respect the police but I have meet some that don't deserve the respect given to the badge they carry. And as far as the training Officers get with the use of their weapon don't make me laugh. Police need to realize that they need to treat people with respect while doing their job. This guy was not in uniform brandishing a gun while shouting at the dumb ass on the bike. Yes as some of you stated that a marked police car could be seen so why not let that officer pull the jackass over. Then to try and scare the dumb ass by charging him with wire tapping just makes what you did look even worse. When you decided to get out of your car to detain the biker you did so under what authority? Now if you did it under you job you are a public servant which means that like it or not you can be recorded while doing you public service. Yes I agree the Police officers have a thankless job but that is due to the corruption caused by bad officers. When a bad one is found it make it to the news but all the good ones go thankless due to the bad ones getting the spotlight.
    Last edited by Kasper; 09-24-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    Much crime and stupidity occurs in fleeting moments. That's why for example "fleeing" felons may be treated a little differently than ordinary "walking away" felons. Standing by is not an option in cases of a direct threat to public safety. Otherwise, alot of dumbasses like that would simply get away.

If I had a dollar for every jackass i've seen on a crotch rocket driving erratically I would be retired already. That's what it was, not a "felon" fleeing. Like I said, if you want to attempt to stop a crotch rocket in an unmarked car and in plain clothes, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by pd6468 View Post
    ... it was, not a "felon" fleeing.
    So which part of my statement "for example" don't you understand?

For?

Or example?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast