Plain cloths LEO lucky he didn't get shot by motorcyclist
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Plain cloths LEO lucky he didn't get shot by motorcyclist

Plain cloths LEO lucky he didn't get shot by motorcyclist

I am NOT a big fan of the ACLU, but I do hope they take on this case...

The guy was going 100 mph down the highway, popping wheelies, and was pulled over by a plain clothes cop in an unmarked car. Cop got out, gun drawn, and didn't announce he was a police officer until he had already rushed the biker and told him to get off the motorcycle (at least 5 seconds). Biker posted the video on YouTube, so the cops threatened to arrest him for illegal wire tapping because the cop did not give his permission to have his voice recorded.

The prosecutor thinks the biker was purposefully trying to insight a police officer to record the video in a "gotcha" type of thing to post on YouTube and that is why he was wearing the video camera.

ACLU says he was on a public street, the camera was clearly visible, and can record video and audio of whatever he wants as long as it's on a public street.

In my opinion, this officer is lucky he did not get shot!!! Then to turn the tables and charge the motorcyclist with illegal Wire tap?? What a Crock of &%%* - I'd want to shoot the guy just for cutting me off like that.. Not really, but I'd be upset!!!

Story from CNN

Unblurred part of the video
    YouTube- Motorcycle traffic violation - Cop pulls out gun

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Cool Police should be held to a higher standard, no?

IMHO, it should NEVER be against the law to film police officers in the commission of their job. Not interfere, mind you, just record.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    IMHO, it should NEVER be against the law to film police officers in the commission of their job. Not interfere, mind you, just record.
    They always use the line "If you have nothing to hide" when they want to record us, but look at the stink some of them put up when they get recorded on tape. They even threaten people with jail time and criminal charges, which is what I'd call abuse under color of law.

Don't get me wrong, it's stupid and illegal to do 100mph and pop wheelies on the freeway, but it's a seperate issue when the cops threaten people with false claims to intimidate people.

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Civil Rights - Color of Law

Dumb ass move which deserves big time traffic tickets.

But as for the recording, public street. They have no case. I hope he makes more money than our New England friend who was drawn down on for open carry.

playing devil's advocate here, this is what my mindset tells me:

Off duty cop sees dumbass doing wheelies and whatnot at 100mph, so training clicks in. There's probably a point where he goes on auto pilot and isn't even thinking about the fact that he's not in uniform, so he does what he'd do were he on duty. I don't fault him for doing anything but not identifying himself properly. And he actually does: He never directly points the gun at the doofus on the bike, and he says "Get off the motorcycle! Get off the motorcycle! State Police!" Pretty cut and dried to me. I guess the question is: unmarked patrol car or POV?

Now, as far as the video, and the guy posting it to youtube . . . well, I guess the case against him is cut and dried. If I'm going to video myself doing 100 MPH and wheelying down the freeway, I'm for damn sure not going to post it to youtube *after* I get cited!

Just a thought,if we can not record cops without their ok, how can they record us with dashcams without our ok? Double standard? Ok my thought for the day.
    NRA CRSO and Instructor: Certified Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Certified Home Firearm Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim
    SABRE Civilian Safety Awareness Program Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by LGH View Post
    Just a thought,if we can not record cops without their ok, how can they record us with dashcams without our ok? Double standard? Ok my thought for the day.
    Some Lawyer will get a BG off because he was caught on a Security Camera by using this same standard....
    Semper Fi

mojo Guest
    Nothing wrong with this stop.......guy on the bike is breaking all kinds of laws, gets stopped by officer who draws his sidearm anounces; get off the bike, get off the bike State Police" and then holsters his weapon. Cut & Dry!! My only problem as I have been stopped by an unmarked car with a plain cloths in it that in this day and age any one can buy a Crown Vic, lights etc and start acting like a cop to do whatever. not sure but I think that actaully just happened here in IN around Indy. It gets scary when you honestly cant tell the real cop from a fake BG. as for the video......public land all the way around and he can video the situation. I would think the bike rider was actully doing this stupid stunt for the express purpose of putting it on youtube and the cop just happened to get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Nothing wrong with this stop.......guy on the bike is breaking all kinds of laws, gets stopped by officer who draws his sidearm anounces; get off the bike, get off the bike State Police" and then holsters his weapon. Cut & Dry!! My only problem as I have been stopped by an unmarked car with a plain cloths in it that in this day and age any one can buy a Crown Vic, lights etc and start acting like a cop to do whatever. not sure but I think that actaully just happened here in IN around Indy. It gets scary when you honestly cant tell the real cop from a fake BG. as for the video......public land all the way around and he can video the situation. I would think the bike rider was actully doing this stupid stunt for the express purpose of putting it on youtube and the cop just happened to get in the way.
    My issues,
    it's more than 5 seconds before he states he is a policeman (and anyone can say that, no badge shown)
    He is not driving a Crown Vic.. He is driving a Chevy Malibu
    What was the threat that caused the policeman to pull his weapon?? He would have been better off jumping out of the car with his badge in his left hand and his right hand ON his gun.

The bike rider was wearing a helmet and most likely gloves (this would have been obvious to the officer).. The chances of him being able to pull a weapon quickly is unlikely, so why did the officer pull his gun again???
    IF it was to stop the biker from riding off, was it really the policeman's plan to shoot a fleeing felon with so much traffic around??? I'd hate to defend that shooting with a plain cloths officer as a police lawyer..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

mojo Guest
    The fact that it is a Chevy and not a Ford was not the point...........anyone can go purchase a car that is currently used by police, add lights etc. that's the point to not being comfortable being stopped by an unmarked be-it ford chevy dodge or RR.
    The officer seeing this idiot doing 100 + doing wheelies is putting the public at high risk and if he felt it was necessary to draw thats a split second call he made and like I pointed out he immediately holstered the weapon.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast