LEO stops - don't be compelled to answer so many questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEO stops - don't be compelled to answer so many questions

LEO stops - don't be compelled to answer so many questions

Here's an interesting link Police Searches and Traffic Stops-Know your Rights! stating the importance in keeping silent especially when the LEO goes on a fishing trip with questions. It's up to you to affirm your existing rights. It's not disrespectful to affirm your rights even though the LEO may imply that it is. Also, regarding the issue of mandatory disclosure laws in some states (Michigan, Louisiana, Oklahoma) that you're carrying, silence rights may trump those laws with a bit of legal push back.

Thanks for the link.

Awsome information !!

ALL citizens should read this.... an abundance of useful information

good find Antietam & THANKS FOR SHARING !!

This video, although long, is very informative

Dont Talk to Police

A little bit paranoid, but some good stuff. Here is my favorite line:

"Police officers are like vampires, they need your permission to come into your home."

Personally the police in SC have all been good men and women in MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, except for one short motorcycle policeman who yelled at my wife during a traffic stop. That was a chicken **** move. But police are just working people, not saints or gods. Thankfully most of ours are good people who serve the public. Again, just my experience.

"Paranoid" is a pretty strong psych term used by doctors and I'm amazed that you went that way with your reply. The link is full of just plain good legal and constitutional affirmations. I worked with LEOs from local police to US Marshals and FBI agents daily over a decade in communications and can tell you that a sobering percentage of them have attitudes and corruptions which warrant caution and a purging of naivety.

Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    "Paranoid" is a pretty strong psych term used by doctors and I'm amazed that you went that way with your reply. The link is full of just plain good legal and constitutional affirmations. I worked with LEOs from local police to US Marshals and FBI agents daily over a decade in communications and can tell you that a sobering percentage of them have attitudes and corruptions which warrant caution and a purging of naivety.
    Um, I based that on the thread where it said, and I quote:

"Cops that lie, need to die! Police officers that lie so that a person is fined, arrested or convicted should be shot in the head. If a cop ruins an innocent family's life, then the life of that cop and his family should be ruined as well."

That was posted by the MODERATOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Um, I based that on the thread where it said, and I quote:

"Cops that lie, need to die! Police officers that lie so that a person is fined, arrested or convicted should be shot in the head. If a cop ruins an innocent family's life, then the life of that cop and his family should be ruined as well."

That was posted by the MODERATOR.
    ok, my bad, won't miss the dosage again!

very informative indeed ......

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    This video, although long, is very informative

Dont Talk to Police
    nogods... found that video interesting, i see the point of" keeping it zipped"

I'm with you Islander on SC LEOs. Strikes me that if you show respect and obey their commands you will get it in return. Act like an idiot screaming constitutional rights--ask yourself how you would respond to such an idiot if you were the LEO--I think everyone knows the answer and it is not as polite as it might be if respectful conversation from the motorist was the case. Certainly the reference site is interesting and does give you some good advice, but regardless--common sense tells me to treat the LEO like my mother--with respect. He is in charge, he does not know you from a hole in the wall, he has just perceived that you broke the law, you obey and respect and never (??) have a problem. Last time I dealt with LEO, I was coming off of old Cooper River bridgeto Coleman and passing someone--I sped up slightly to pass and there he was. got blue lighted, pulled over to gas station at base of bridge and asked the usual questions. I answered respectfully and castigated myself for getting into this situation since I try to obey all speed laws, particularly at that location. He came back to my car after verifying my info and told me to "have a nice day" and I was issued a warning.NO doubt in my mind that if I had started with a big mouth, I would have been looking at points.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast