2 LEO Encounters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 LEO Encounters

Cool 2 LEO Encounters

This past Sunday a friend and I decided we wanted to shoot off some of our .22 rounds in the woods. He is a little more paranoid than I am, he suggested we call the LEO Non-Emergency number, so I called. No suprise, no answer from the SGT the Operator referred me to.
    She said as far as she knew, Michigan law stated we have a reasonable back-drop i.e Dirt, wood, etc, and be more than 100 yards away from any home or dwelling, so we went on that.

We went behind a trailor park where Ive shot time and time again, hours on end shooting my 22. Never my Pistol, but I carry it all the time anyhow. We were shooting for no more than 15 minutes when I heard rustling in the wooded part behind me. I thought it may just be a deer or something running from the loud shooting...Then, I heard it getting closer, I asked my friend to quit shooting for a moment while I go investigate.

Heres how it played out:
    Me "Hello?"
    Voice "Flint Township Police, put your weapons on the ground and put your hands where I can see them now!"
    Me "Ok..." Looked at my friend "back away from the weapons slowly and just keep your hands visible, dont let the weapons out of sight, prolly just some kid joking with us"

LEO "Keep your hands where I can see them!"
    Officer wasnt in sight yet, he was still fighting among the sticks, branches and bushes but I layed my Smith and Wesson on the Ground, unloaded and told my friend to get away from the rifles.

Within a couple mins the LEO was in sight, he had his hand on his weapon and I asked him not to step on my pistol laying on the ground. He told me to back up even further, [I was already 10-15 ft away from it] and he put it in his belt line. I gave him my ID and CPL [Knew hed ask for it, might as well lay all the cards on the table]
    A second LEO came from the tree line, [the nice one] while the SGT ran our IDs for warrents, and checked on my CPL.
    The "nice" LEO asked us to walk down the trail back to the car as the SGT informed us we were shooting in a "no shooting zone" and informed us we were tresspassing.
    I told the SGT that we had no knowledge it was a no shooting zone, and corrected him on the "tresspassing" issue. Being Michigan law states in order to be charged with tresspassing, visible signs are to be placed at all enterences of the property as well as no further than 30-50 ft all around the property. I told him wed seen no signs.
    Wed gotten to the vehicles where the "nice" officer placed me in one, and my friend in the other, he apologized up and down for what was going on and he said that some parents called saying they were afraid their childeren would come within line of our fire, which I have to say is impossible with the area we were shooting in.
    The SGT followed us to the vehicles with my ammo bag, both 22s and my pistol, they placed them in the trunk of a patrol car and left.
    They verified my story about caling on the law and let us go. No charges filed and got all my weapons back immediatly, although the LEO was standing right there, he let me load my pistol and conceal it.

All round I say they acted Professionally, and took the right precautions to make sure they were safe and that we werent some fugitives. Although I was disarmed, I did it myself, and without issue [they couldnt see me but oh well, they shouldnt have announced they were LEOs until they were out of the bush] The officers had no problem talking with me, and joking with me.
    All round good encounter, that afternoon, and another one in the evening when my moms roommate called the police on me for telling him he was a coward for threatning my mother. Eh, they didnt disarm me, but rather asked me why I didnt kick his butt heh.

Gotta love Flint Mi =]

Your thoughts?
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    The SGT followed us to the vehicles with my ammo bag, both 22s and my pistol, they placed them in the trunk of a patrol car and left.Your thoughts?
    So without charges and arrest they confiscated your firearms. Even after running you in NCIC and Local.

Office safety is one thing, complete disregard of the Law is another. In other words they took your property without cause. I would retain an attorney and get his direction. Could be criminal charges against the officers. What else have they done to others in the community? This ain't Mayberry anymore. You need to rein in Barney and his sidekick.

KUDOS for keeping your head and staying calm.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

The only confiscated the weapons on scene, and got them immediatly afterward.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

You need to clarify, and use the right words. There is a difference between confiscate, and secure the weapons for their own safety.
    If they ran a check on you to verify your info, then returned the guns. That is not confiscated.

I know its not confiscated, misused my words there. I Apologise.

Glad that nobody was hurt and I believe that the officers did what they had to do for officer safety. That being said, did they really need to go through putting you guys in the cars. Wouldnt a simple "guys we had a few calls you need to pack it up and head on, and we need to check you guys for warrants and the weapons for stolen/wanted, this will only take a few minutes and its standard procedure."

But then again, they have to do what makes them feel safe. There are some weirdos out there these days that would rather shoot a cop then have their name checked for warrants.
    -Austin

"The SGT followed us to the vehicles with my ammo bag, both 22s and my pistol, they placed them in the trunk of a patrol car and left"

They denied use of property for no cause! Weather they returned them or not is not the issue.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Cool LEO encounter

It seems like this encounter was caused by parents concerned for their children and, consequently, called the police. From the narrative given, I can't see any reason to get up tight. The officers investigated the complaint and, whether you agree with them or not, settled the incident without any serious breach of the rights of either individual. The bothersome thing to me is that the trend is to become argumentative with police officers in the performance of their duties. These officers were coming up against two armed individuals and didn't know what to expect. C'mon fellows, you have to give LEOs a break. I read a saying one time that said, "It takes less effort to condemn than to think." If you stop and think about it, LEOs can be right occasionally.

I agree with the statement above. I dont get uptight about LEO encounters, respect them and theyll respect you. Comming up against the unknown isnt always fun especiall with armed men, and being an LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    It seems like this encounter was caused by parents concerned for their children and, consequently, called the police. From the narrative given, I can't see any reason to get up tight. The officers investigated the complaint and, whether you agree with them or not, settled the incident without any serious breach of the rights of either individual. The bothersome thing to me is that the trend is to become argumentative with police officers in the performance of their duties. These officers were coming up against two armed individuals and didn't know what to expect. C'mon fellows, you have to give LEOs a break. I read a saying one time that said, "It takes less effort to condemn than to think." If you stop and think about it, LEOs can be right occasionally.
    You misunderstood my point. It's not weather I fully support our LEO's it's the procedures, or lack off, to ensure my rights are not violated. The scene was "CLEARED", individuals ID's had been run and found to be without wants or warrants. END of STORY. To take the weapons away from the scene was completely wrong. What did they do...............write the serial numbers down? Without cause, that's PROBALE CAUSE OR WARRENT ISSUED FOR SEARCH & SEIZURE.

The more we do not speak up for our rights. The more there eroded and or forgotten about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast